• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Curt Schilling: I will not participate in the final year of voting. I am requesting to be removed from the ballot.

rafibomb

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

I think it's dumb to write off a historical MLB institution over this. I know you're not claiming this is the only reason, but come on. Visiting the HOF is a bucket list item for every baseball fan. I'll be taking my kids there someday.

P.S. I don't think you're dumb, just your take.

I would take my kids there.  And I have.  But my respect level for what it actually is now probably couldn’t be lower.  And this was avoidable if people who voted had just a passable amount of personal discipline and integrity.

Again, the irony when they want to personally “punish” people with questionable personal discipline and integrity.

I missed it. What did Schilling do to not be in the HOF? Is he not a good person? What did he do baseball wise to deserve being ignored for the HOF? Michael Jordan was/is not a good person but he's in the HOF. Is MLB different from all other sports HOF? That's just one of many examples.

18 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I missed it. What did Schilling do to not be in the HOF? Is he not a good person? What did he do baseball wise to deserve being ignored for the HOF? Michael Jordan was/is not a good person but he's in the HOF. Is MLB different from all other sports HOF? That's just one of many examples.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/10/25/curt-schillings-failures-and-controversies-have-led-him-from-bloody-sock-to-breitbart/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/08/13/curt-schilling-congress-controversy-meme/1995343001/

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/years-after-bankruptcy-curt-schilling-settles-rhode-island-gaming-loans/

Edited by jsnpritchett

By the way, I just now got around to reading Schilling's entire Facebook post (which is the approximate length of David Foster Wallace novel...). In it, he says, "I don't think I'm a Hall of Famer as I've often stated, but if former players think I am, then I'll accept that with honor." (Referring to the Veterans' Committee in the latter half of that sentence.)

If he doesn't think he's a HOFer, then I'm all for letting that be the last word! 🙂

12 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

i wonder what would happen if we applied the same logic in failed or poor business practices or being a jackass in general to a lot of other guys?
Im not blasting or attacking you in saying that, dont misunderstand, and i get why people would and should be angry at him over such things, i just dont see how that changes anything he did as a player.
I never liked him, im not defending him per se, i just think were creating a very dangerous precedent in looking more at the 10 years after he retired than what he did before that time.

17 minutes ago, floplag said:

i wonder what would happen if we applied the same logic in failed or poor business practices or being a jackass in general to a lot of other guys?
Im not blasting or attacking you in saying that, dont misunderstand, and i get why people would and should be angry at him over such things, i just dont see how that changes anything he did as a player.
I never liked him, im not defending him per se, i just think were creating a very dangerous precedent in looking more at the 10 years after he retired than what he did before that time.

There's a character clause that they're free to invoke in these instances, even if the circumstances are debatable. No one's free speech or first amendment rights are being restricted. If they are then the players in question can file suit as needed. This is hardly some life or death matter. 

12 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Look at this a-hole Schilling's tweets.

I MEAN HE PLURALIZES WITH APOSTROPHES!  BAN HIM FROM THE HALL FOREVER!!

The guy's a grown ass man who's one of the most accomplished ever in his field, and is still preoccupied with roleplaying as a 14 year old 4chan edgelord. What a miserable existence. 

27 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

There's a character clause that they're free to invoke in these instances, even if the circumstances are debatable. No one's free speech or first amendment rights are being restricted. If they are then the players in question can file suit as needed. This is hardly some life or death matter. 

This is true, but also not the point.
The point is what merits the character clause.

33 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

He supported terrorists who unsuccessfully tried to violently overthrow the United States government (that left five dead), over a fairly contested national election.

If the bar for not getting elected to the baseball hall of fame is "Traitor to the United States", I can support that.

And this is the exact problem
A completely partisan narrative used an justification.
Thank you for making my exact point. 

8 minutes ago, floplag said:

And this is the exact problem
A completely partisan narrative used an justification.
Thank you for making my exact point. 

Nah, the guy's just a miserable asshole. If we were talking about some left wing radical environmental terrorist supporter we'd be saying the same thing; this being sports, baseball especially, there aren't many of those types so of course it seems partisan when the assholes all lean a certain way. 

And I'm sure that there are plenty of guys we root for and have no problem with being in the HOF that have conservative views, because they weren't raging dicks about it and felt the need to validate themselves through the media every few months. 

Just now, AngelsFaninGA said:

Nah, the guy's just a miserable asshole. If we were talking about some left wing radical environmental terrorist supporter we'd be saying the same thing; this being sports, baseball especially, there aren't many of those types so of course it seems partisan when the assholes all lean a certain way. 

He is an asshole, so are half the guys in the hall already.
But in todays political climate, its different.