• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Curt Schilling: I will not participate in the final year of voting. I am requesting to be removed from the ballot.

rafibomb

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

He is an asshole, so are half the guys in the hall already.
But in todays political climate, its different.  

Well there ya go. Cue "why can't things go back to the way they were in the 50s when I could be an asshole without consequences?!!" rant. It is what it is. All of our lives are shaped by the times and circumstances that we live in. 

The HOF, like most everything else in life, isn't perfect.  There are players in there, who probably shouldn't be and there are some who aren't, who should be.  The process isn't perfect and some sportswriters turn the process into their own platform for whatever suits them.  They have bias (like all of us) and some of them have agendas.  The HOF has its flaws, for sure. 

I've never been.  I'd like to go some day, but it's not a bucket list item because I don't have a "bucket list."  For me, baseball is all about the stories, and I'd like to go to the HOF to see all of those "stories" in one place.  I'm sure I'd enjoy most of it and the parts that I wouldn’t enjoy... well, no big deal.  I don't put athletes on a pedestal. I admire them for their talent and their accomplishments; but at the end of the day, they're all flawed individuals just like the rest of us. 

Personally, I don't think cheaters belong in the HOF.  Their cheating directly impacted their performance and quite frankly, the performance of those they competed against.  Some of them were great players without PED's, but that doesn't change my mind. 

Again, I'd like to go to the HOF some day and when I do, it won't matter to me if there aren't any players in the HOF like Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, etc.  If they end up in there at some point, I won't care either.  I might not like it much, but I'm not going to let it diminish the rest of my experience.

Some of us are passionate about baseball.  Some are not.  Who gets in the HOF and who doesn't is one of those conversations that is part of being a baseball fan.  For me, I don't like the idea of someone like Harold Baines being in the HOF because his career wasn't anything great, but I'm not going to let something like that ruin my day.  I think Bobby Grich is HOF worthy, but the fact that he's not in there also isn't going to ruin my day. 

All of that is based on their career numbers and impact.

I don't know if Schilling is HOF worthy.  I haven't looked as his career stats or thought about what he did over the course of his career to form an opinion. I do think that not voting for him because of his political views is stupid.  That's just my opinion. 

We all have different standards.  We all have bias. 

Edited by T.G.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

i wonder what would happen if we applied the same logic in failed or poor business practices or being a jackass in general to a lot of other guys?
Im not blasting or attacking you in saying that, dont misunderstand, and i get why people would and should be angry at him over such things, i just dont see how that changes anything he did as a player.
I never liked him, im not defending him per se, i just think were creating a very dangerous precedent in looking more at the 10 years after he retired than what he did before that time.

Yeah, again, all I did was answer your question.  You asked what he'd said/done, so I provided some examples. 

44 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Well there ya go. Cue "why can't things go back to the way they were in the 50s when I could be an asshole without consequences?!!" rant. It is what it is. All of our lives are shaped by the times and circumstances that we live in. 

if i had said that, fine, but we both know i didnt. 

37 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, again, all I did was answer your question.  You asked what he'd said/done, so I provided some examples. 

Yeah, im honestly not asking to be argumentative at all, to be clear, im just wondering if we had used the same standards in the past who that might have affected.  I dont know the answer.

3 hours ago, yk9001 said:

He supported terrorists who unsuccessfully tried to violently overthrow the United States government (that left five dead), over a fairly contested national election.

If the bar for not getting elected to the baseball hall of fame is "Traitor to the United States", I can support that.

Dear God are we going down that political Abyss?  Let's keep this about baseball and no editorializing political viewpoints.

3 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

There's a character clause that they're free to invoke in these instances, even if the circumstances are debatable. No one's free speech or first amendment rights are being restricted. If they are then the players in question can file suit as needed. This is hardly some life or death matter. 

Everyone should have free speech.   However we must remember we will be judged by what we say.  If HOF voters punish Schilling because they do not like his political views than that is not a violation of free speech.

However, I would say those sportswriters have no business having a HOF ballot 

2 hours ago, yk9001 said:

You are free to point out anything factually incorrect in my Schilling post.

I am certain the board and you do not want to go there. People get too emotional with politics. You post is an inflammatory statement that is based on your opinion and not facts.  

16 hours ago, stormngt said:

I am certain the board and you do not want to go there. People get too emotional with politics. You post is an inflammatory statement that is based on your opinion and not facts.  

So is this one:

19 hours ago, stormngt said:

Funny, he is getting pushback for calling Muslims Nazi's by the same people that call all Trump supporters Domestic terrorist 

3 hours ago, Taylor said:

So is this one:

Yes, and my comment was directly related to the comment with Schilling.  I didn't bring up "treason" or the former President.

Obviously you people want to get politucs involved.   Just do not get mad as things escalate out of control.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Yes, and my comment was directly related to the comment with Schilling.  I didn't bring up "treason" or the former President.

Obviously you people want to get politucs involved.   Just do not get mad as things escalate out of control.

Right, so you also brought up politics and presented a subjective political opinion.

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

Right, so you also brought up politics and presented a subjective political opinion.

It was commented that he is being blocked from HoF because of his comments.

I responded.  I kept the topic of immediate discussion.  I did not bring up other political actors.

Don't  like it go F off.