• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Curt Schilling: I will not participate in the final year of voting. I am requesting to be removed from the ballot.

rafibomb

Just now, Bronson said:

I don’t agree with anything Shilling stands for but this is an obvious witch hunt. It’s pretty embarrassing to be honest.

Schilling is a hall of fame pitcher. Period.

He got 38% of the vote when he debuted on the ballot in 2013.  He has almost doubled his vote total since then.  "Witch hunt."  lol.

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

Heyman continues to be an idiot.  What possible justification is there for voting for Bonds but NOT Clemens?  (Side note: I think both should be in, and I honestly don't care one way or the other about Schilling.  I just think Schilling is being a little bitch)

That I can agree with. Just STFU and get in later via the veterans committee. 

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

He got 38% of the vote when he debuted on the ballot in 2013.  He has almost doubled his vote total since then.  "Witch hunt."  lol.

If he would have never shared his political views he would have been elected into the Hall the first year he was eligible. You have to be in complete denial not to believe that.

13 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Seriously, though, this is such an absurd way for him to handle it.  Just makes him look like a big baby.  At this point, no one in the real world actually gives a shit if he's elected or not.

i have to somewhat disagree with you. i'm very invested in that vagina not being elected into the HOF. 

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

Knew i would find a lot of negative comments on this one, but give me a baseball reason that has nothing to do with his politics why he isnt there?
I agree this was a poor way to handle it, but hes being blackballed for his beliefs, not his game. 

For people who aren't voting based on more "advanced" metrics like WAR, I think you could make a somewhat reasonable argument that his career counting numbers aren't overwhelmingly impressive.  His most similar pitchers according to Baseball Reference are Kevin Brown, Zach Greinke, Bob Welch, Justin Verlander, Tim Hudson, Freddie Fitzsimmons, Orel Hershiser, Milt Pappas, Mark Buerhle, and John Smoltz.  Obviously Smoltz is already in and Verlander (and probably Greinke) will get in--but it's not like his comp set is made up of guys that you automatically think of as HOFers.  You can give him "extra credit" for post season, of course (where he was undeniably good), but I can imagine there are some people who aren't voting for him for reasons other than his politics (or shady business practices...).

Edited by jsnpritchett

I think I found someone even dumber than Heyman: Bob Nightengale:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2021/01/25/baseball-hall-fame-ballot-latroy-hawkins/6696285002/

Opinion: Why I voted for LaTroy Hawkins on my Baseball Hall of Fame ballot

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2021/01/25/baseball-hall-fame-ballot-latroy-hawkins/6696285002/

you spelled boob wrong.  

20 minutes ago, Bronson said:

I don’t agree with anything Shilling stands for but this is an obvious witch hunt. It’s pretty embarrassing to be honest.

Schilling is a hall of fame pitcher. Period.

Don't get me wrong, I think Schilling had an unquestioned HOF worthy baseball career. No question. I actually got blocked on Twitter a few years ago by Elliott Teaford (Ducks beat guy who used to write for baseball) when he said Schilling's career was not Hall worthy and I posted some stats and asked what wasn't Hall worthy. No profanity, no excessive tweets. Just pushed back slightly with some stats and he just blocked me. Lol.

What I was referring to was not his politics (I agree with some of them), but more how he expresses himself. Like wearing a shirt that says "Rope, Tree, Journalist. Some assembly required", or his tacit defense of the capital riots. Fair or not, the reality is his off the field behavior has cost him. 

I share some of his concerns about some journalists, but his 'joke' was way out of line. Without getting overly political in a baseball forum, I'll just say I think you can have legitimate concerns over the consistency of response on the riots this year and still acknowledge that the capitol riot was probably the worst thing conservatives could have participated in and should be condemned by everyone (ditto the violence and riots by others throughout the year). The problem is he didn't stop with criticizing the hypocrisy - which, IMO, is totally fair game - he suggested that the capitol riot was legitimate and had better reason than the others. That isn't just a disagreement, it's a defense of sedition and anarchy. Not okay. 

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Hawkins received 2 votes.

Hmmm... does Fletch have a vote?