• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Jose Quintana (1 year, $8 million)

mmc

17 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The walks are the issue, and it's not something he's had problems with in the past.  The rest of his peripherals have been solid but yesterday was a legit bad start all the way around.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jose-quintana/11423/game-log?position=P&season=

He needs to get the walks under control or all the naysayers will end up being right, albeit they will have had the reasons all wrong.

8.78 BB/9 this season as opposed to 2.70 and 2.42 the years before. Pretty crazy how he just lost his control out of nowhere. I am still fairly confident he turns it around. With someone like Teheran the writing was on the wall that he would implode. I can't say the same for Quintana.

Edited by rafibomb

13 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

I guess call me a devotee then because I see 6 runs scored by the opposing team and a loss. Baseball seems to have developed an affinity for bending reality when they don't like it and coming up with all these "what should have been" stats. 

Nothing wrong with that, but spare us any talk about the team being dumb, and behind the times.  The data you are seemingly dismissing as fanciful excuses are the very things that teams like the Dodgers have been running with and believing in for years.   Trusting the process has never been a strength of Angel fans so, I can't say I'm surprised. 

Yesterday was a legitimately bad start, he wasn't a victim of lucky hits or questionable fielding, he was getting torqued and wasn't fooling anyone.  More importantly he's been hurting himself all year with his control issues, so he gets to wear that and the predictive data dings him for that too.   But ERA tells us absolutely nothing other than X many runs scored in X many innings and nothing about why the numbers are what they are.

52 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

8.78 BB/9 this season as opposed to 2.70 and 2.42 the years before. Pretty crazy how he just lost his control out of nowhere. I am still fairly confident he turns it around. With someone like Teheran the writing was on the wall that he would implode. I can't say the same for Quintana.

Yeah, I have no idea what to make of his issues with command all of a sudden -- if that's the new him then by all means put a fork in him.   

But your greater point is where I am.  It's not a question of whether or not he's done well, it's a question of whether or not anyone should expect things to change.  There is plenty of data to suggest he will improve, that the early struggles aren't indicative of an erosion of skill (other than command).  Teheran showed up with those concerns in place and a track record of eroding skills.

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Meanwhile, JA Happ coming into today's game with a 1.59 ERA and WHIP of 0.88. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No doubt that .159 BaBIP in front of that awful MIN defensive IF is totally sustainable....    Career low average velo, near career low GB%, career low K/9, BB/9 is the worst it's been since 2013 -- his success has been almost 100% due to his "success" keeping FBs in the park -- HR/9 0.53.    Meanwhile, Kenta Maeda has a 6.56 ERA a .372 BaBip and a HR/9 of 2.70 ...  baseball is effing weird sometimes.

Four starts!

How much more do we give him before we pull the plug? 4 starts isn't enough, but if we give him 2 months and he isn't turning shit around, we're in really bad shape.

Can't get any consistency with this dude taking the mound once a week. At some point we're gonna need to rattle off 7-8 wins to catch up with Oakland.

9 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

How much more do we give him before we pull the plug? 4 starts isn't enough, but if we give him 2 months and he isn't turning shit around, we're in really bad shape.

Can't get any consistency with this dude taking the mound once a week. At some point we're gonna need to rattle off 7-8 wins to catch up with Oakland.

10 starts max -- but if the control issues continue much longer you gotta consider skipping a start and sending him to SP rehab.   The Quintana issues are magnified by Canning's pure suckage.   They both can't be leaving early every start.

17 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

No doubt that .159 BaBIP in front of that awful MIN defensive IF is totally sustainable....    Career low average velo, near career low GB%, career low K/9, BB/9 is the worst it's been since 2013 -- his success has been almost 100% due to his "success" keeping FBs in the park -- HR/9 0.53.    Meanwhile, Kenta Maeda has a 6.56 ERA a .372 BaBip and a HR/9 of 2.70 ...  baseball is effing weird sometimes.

Four starts!

Happ's success is as likely to continue as Quintana's struggles. 

I really think the Dunedin rainout, Minnesota postponements, and even the six-man rotation have thrown some guys off a bit. There was a lot of time there where everyone was off-schedule for a couple weeks. 

30 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah, I have no idea what to make of his issues with command all of a sudden -- if that's the new him then by all means put a fork in him.   

But your greater point is where I am.  It's not a question of whether or not he's done well, it's a question of whether or not anyone should expect things to change.  There is plenty of data to suggest he will improve, that the early struggles aren't indicative of an erosion of skill (other than command).  Teheran showed up with those concerns in place and a track record of eroding skills.

You follow this kind of stuff closely so I'll take your word for it. Has he had starts to seasons like this before that leads you to believe he can turn it around?

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Claude would be proud. 

Dude. You know this happens all the time.  This forum will clamor for someone to come up and the moment they struggle, the forum turns on him like he has Covid. That has nothing to do with Clod.  I know you miss him, but sheesh.

AND, I'm not laughing at the player who struggles, I'm laughing at the knee jerk reactions.

Edited by True Grich

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

You follow this kind of stuff closely so I'll take your word for it. Has he had starts to seasons like this before that leads you to believe he can turn it around?

Kinda...  The start of 2015 -- his first four starts he went 22 innings allowing 17 runs, ended the season with a 3.36 ERA..   Looking at other seasons he's had similar bad spurts..  in 21014 which may have been his finest year he had two runs of 3 starts each where he got lit up.  From June 8-19 he gave up 12 runs in 16 innings then  Aug 13-26 he gave up 14 runs in 17.2 innings.   In 2016 he had a four game stretch where he gave up 18 runs in 23 innings.   He opened 2017 with three bad starts too...  17 IP 13 runs.

Looking at his career numbers there is this...

I Split W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO9 SO/W
  April/March 14 12 .538 4.51 40 39 0 0 0 0 219.1 225 121 110 25 77 1 212 4 0 18 940 1.377 8.7 2.75
  May 12 22 .353 3.53 42 41 1 0 0 0 252.1 223 105 99 19 82 3 213 5 1 8 1043 1.209 7.6 2.60
  June 8 14 .364 3.72 44 43 1 0 0 0 261.0 272 118 108 30 79 5 204 2 2 9 1103 1.345 7.0 2.58
  July 18 5 .783 3.13 40 40 0 1 1 0 253.1 224 92 88 25 62 3 227 7 1 7 1019 1.129 8.1 3.66
  August 17 13 .567 3.94 47 45 0 0 0 0 276.2 281 130 121 29 75 7 247 11 0 7 1172 1.287 8.0 3.29
  Sept/Oct 14 13 .519 3.96 45 43 0 1 1 0 245.2 263 118 108 28 60 2 226 8 1 10 1038 1.315 8.3 3.77

So it seems bad starts are kind of the norm for him relative to the rest of the season.   But the walks are a new issue ...  If that doesnt get corrected it's gonna be a shit show.