• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! We're Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

• AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

Angels sign Jose Quintana (1 year, $8 million)

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1 year and 8 million for Quintana. How the hell did we give 11 million to Matt Harvey?

. . What a difference an hour makes.

Well we're due then! 

Posted Images

Obviously Quintana has been a huge disappointment and has sucked overall, but can anyone here identify what’s been so different for him this year in terms of his crazy K and BB rates?

Going from a career 6.8% BB% to over 17 and a K% from 21% to 31% is just nuts, small sample aside. 

Has he just lost control completely and guys are swinging anyways since he’s often getting wrecked? Change in his spin rates?

8 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

8 mill is worth it to beat bauer and the dodgers, IMO

Even better since he had sucked so bad leading into it.

I guess it’s just such a divergent performance compared to his career norms so far that it makes me wonder/hope that this is truly a fluke start to the season...either something is way off from what he usually does, or he’s experimented too much with something...and he either gets back to normal or finds a way to harness this weird new K jump he’s having and it turns a corner. 

15 hours ago, totdprods said:

Obviously Quintana has been a huge disappointment and has sucked overall, but can anyone here identify what’s been so different for him this year in terms of his crazy K and BB rates?

Going from a career 6.8% BB% to over 17 and a K% from 21% to 31% is just nuts, small sample aside. 

Has he just lost control completely and guys are swinging anyways since he’s often getting wrecked? Change in his spin rates?

The velocities are neatly identical, his secondary pitches are up a tick but nothing significant.... The horizontal and vertical movement is essentially the same, spin almost exactly the same....    Know what the big jump in?  Expected wOBA .vs shift.  None of which explains the huge jump in K rate.

So given all the expectative data is pointing one way and the only huge difference is shift data...  My guess defense and the catching has been a contributing factor and nobody has any clue what else it could be because none of it makes any sense.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Oh OK.  So don’t bother pursuing a better pitcher.  Sounds smart.

That's not what I said. You do everything possible to improve the team but over trading for one guy is not the best idea when you have a lot of needs 

Edited by Toby Flenderson
5 minutes ago, Toby Flenderson said:

That's not what I said. You do everything possible to improve the team but over trading for one guy is not the best idea when you have a lot of needs 

“Trading for one guy is not the best idea when you have a lot of needs.”

Thanks for restating a stupid take.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

“Trading for one guy is not the best idea when you have a lot of needs.”

Thanks for restating a stupid take.

Over trading, meaning over paying or trading other prospects that are in the future plans because that's what mid season pitching acquisitions will cost. I've said it here numerous times that if they don't start drafting and developing top tier pitching on their own then it's going be a problem every single year. 

Just now, Toby Flenderson said:

Over trading, meaning over paying or trading other prospects that are in the future plans because that's what mid season pitching acquisitions will cost. I've said it here numerous times that if they don't start drafting and developing top tier pitching on their own then it's going be a problem every single year. 

So don’t “overpay” and don’t blow all your prospects to get one pitcher in their walk year during a season when the acquisition likely won’t be enough to get into the playoffs.

This is groundbreaking revolutionary thinking that nobody else would have thought of.

Have you contacted the front office directly?

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

So don’t “overpay” and don’t blow all your prospects to get one pitcher in their walk year during a season when the acquisition likely won’t be enough to get into the playoffs.

This is groundbreaking revolutionary thinking that nobody else would have thought of.

Have you contacted the front office directly?

Did you have your morning coffee yet? I'm a little salty in the mornings before I have mine 

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The problem is he is going to have to excellent going forward to end up solid overall for 2021.

I couldn't care less what his resume ends up looking like, so I'd be content with decent from here on out.  Just want him to stop walking people and keep doing the other stuff he's doing with the K rate regressing towards the mean.  

Hopefully he pitches to his history and April ends up being his worst month of the season.