• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

37 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Jackson's last 10 games: .294/.375/.676

He started off extremely slow off the gate, can probably attribute that to some bad luck as well but it's nice to see him walking more.

Walks are huge for him.  With his general lack of contact, he's gonna have to learn not to chase or he'll never get out of AA

16 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Adell’s gotta be close to another shot, right?

since the minor tweak in his swing, he's been making a lot more contact on strikes.  

They're gonna stop throwing him balls over the plate soon though.  Early in the year it was that he was still running into the occasional one for a hr but whiffing at a high pace.  He's got a bunch of first pitch hits over the last week or so and most of his hits overall are coming early in counts but he's not swinging and missing a ton.  most of the strikes he's recording are either called or fouled.  

But he hasn't walked once in the last 12 games.  During that time his BA has gone up 20 points and his obp has gone down three points.  His improved contact is very encouraging in that I've always contended that it wasn't so much a lack of discipline out of the zone but in the zone where he'd swing and miss a lot on actual strikes.  

So I'd personally like to see how he adjusts when they stop throwing him strikes now that he's punishing those strikes more often and fouling off the ones that he can't make hard contact on.  But he's still swinging A LOT.  

I'd prefer he get another month in AAA at least.  Maybe even two.  

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Yeah I would have been ok if he stood at home for a full minute before a leisurely stroll around the bases with an extra jump step before 3rd.

You hit one like that you deserve to show up the pitcher. It should be mandatory.

you hit one 480 feet, you get to take it out while you jog around the bases.  

The fangraphs report on the Halos was fair and what I expected.  A lot of holdover assessments from a couple years ago due to a general lack of info.  He mentions that the system is thin but exciting due to a lot of guys with upside at the lower level or not at an affiliate.  

He mentioned that Adell would have been second on the list now had he qualified.  

Kyle Tyler had a spike in velo from 89-92 now to 92-95.  

A couple guys to keep and eye on based on this report 

Gabriel Tapia - developmental arm with low 90's and advanced changeup.  Only 19.  

Higgins - now in AA for the halos.  Hard throwing lefty with a good slider.  Thinking we might see him later this year.  

Blakely - talented but a project.  

Yan - called him dead weight as a 40 man guy with a decrease in velo from last year.  

Alejandro Hidalgo - 18yo from Venezuela with 93-94 and a plus curve.  Change needs work.  Has solid assets and compare to other drafted players in the first couple rounds from a projection standpoint but likely doesn't have the premium potential as a top shelf guy.  

Denzer Guzman - needs to develop physically.  But foundation and skill is there.  Sounds like he gets the bat knocked out of his hands for now but at 17yo, has some time.  

Holmes - sounds like he's pitching only now.  Three good pitches.  

Calabrese - has him at #10 for us.  Compact physique and swing.  Needs to get stronger.  Very fast.  

Alexander Ramirez - highest avg exit velo on the DSL in 2019.  Big and physical.  Describe as a shredded 6'3".  All or nothing relative to his future contact ability.  Up to 70 grade raw power.  

Paris - 70 runner.  feel for hitting.   Prob transition to 2b or maybe CF.  

Adrian Placencia - 5th on the list.  said his lefty swing is the best in the system and righty swing is the second best swing in the system.  Small frame though.  Chance to be an everyday guy.  

Vera - 4th on the list added weight and has impressed with his raw power.  He and Guzman with the best chance to stay at SS in the system.  

Overall it's a lot of the really young guys in the top 16 or so.  7 of the top 16 are 19 or younger.  Which is saying something considering everyone missed a year and no one has really seen much of last years international class.  And 6 of those 16 are intl players.  So it seems we might be making some traction in that area.  

13 hours ago, Dochalo said:

We probably need to start giving Stefanic a  little more love.  

12 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

@totdprods has.

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

he doesn't count 😉

Do I? I gave him love a couple weeks ago, saying he's inching his way onto the utility depth chart for next year. 

If Stefanic keeps this up, I'd like to see a three-way of Fletcher, Rengifo, and Stefanic, with free agent money saved for pitching.

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

The fangraphs report on the Halos was fair and what I expected.  A lot of holdover assessments from a couple years ago due to a general lack of info.  He mentions that the system is thin but exciting due to a lot of guys with upside at the lower level or not at an affiliate.  

He mentioned that Adell would have been second on the list now had he qualified.  

Kyle Tyler had a spike in velo from 89-92 now to 92-95.  

A couple guys to keep and eye on based on this report 

Gabriel Tapia - developmental arm with low 90's and advanced changeup.  Only 19.  

Higgins - now in AA for the halos.  Hard throwing lefty with a good slider.  Thinking we might see him later this year.  

Blakely - talented but a project.  

Yan - called him dead weight as a 40 man guy with a decrease in velo from last year.  

Alejandro Hidalgo - 18yo from Venezuela with 93-94 and a plus curve.  Change needs work.  Has solid assets and compare to other drafted players in the first couple rounds from a projection standpoint but likely doesn't have the premium potential as a top shelf guy.  

Denzer Guzman - needs to develop physically.  But foundation and skill is there.  Sounds like he gets the bat knocked out of his hands for now but at 17yo, has some time.  

Holmes - sounds like he's pitching only now.  Three good pitches.  

Calabrese - has him at #10 for us.  Compact physique and swing.  Needs to get stronger.  Very fast.  

Alexander Ramirez - highest avg exit velo on the DSL in 2019.  Big and physical.  Describe as a shredded 6'3".  All or nothing relative to his future contact ability.  Up to 70 grade raw power.  

Paris - 70 runner.  feel for hitting.   Prob transition to 2b or maybe CF.  

Adrian Placencia - 5th on the list.  said his lefty swing is the best in the system and righty swing is the second best swing in the system.  Small frame though.  Chance to be an everyday guy.  

Vera - 4th on the list added weight and has impressed with his raw power.  He and Guzman with the best chance to stay at SS in the system.  

Overall it's a lot of the really young guys in the top 16 or so.  7 of the top 16 are 19 or younger.  Which is saying something considering everyone missed a year and no one has really seen much of last years international class.  And 6 of those 16 are intl players.  So it seems we might be making some traction in that area.  

One guy who I see as a bit of a sleeper at this point is D'Shawn Knowles. As Fangraphs says, he's got "electric tools." He also seems to do little things well, so I think could surprise us and be a good player. Obviously he doesn't have a real path towards being a regular on the Angels, but he could be a great 4th outfielder.

Hard not to be excited about all of the talented outfielders and middle infielders. Not-so excited about the pitching, though.

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Frankly I'm not worried about some sort of path to the majors for a guy in low A.  That'll work itself out in 3-4 years.  

Not worried about it as much as considering his likely path and future. I think "worry/not worry" is more relevant to the whole Marsh/Adell/Adams issue, although even then it will work itself out: one of those guys will end up being worse than the other two, and not be a starter for the Angels, but still have value as either the 4th outfielder or (more likely) as trade bait. But even that doesn't really need to be decided for at least a year, maybe two.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

One guy who I see as a bit of a sleeper at this point is D'Shawn Knowles. As Fangraphs says, he's got "electric tools." He also seems to do little things well, so I think could surprise us and be a good player. Obviously he doesn't have a real path towards being a regular on the Angels, but he could be a great 4th outfielder.

Hard not to be excited about all of the talented outfielders and middle infielders. Not-so excited about the pitching, though.

Seeing the early success of several pitchers in the org, it has me optimistic. More than i have been in about 5 years. Hoping it continues.

14 minutes ago, John Smith said:

db582e4c4b241b3f9efefb68b9de0147_x96.jpe

roster moves for 6/5: LHP Brent Killam and LHP Ryan Smith transferred to High-A Tri-City. C Gustavo Campero reinstated from Temporary Inactive List (Olympics). RHP Robinson Pina transferred from High-A Tri-City.

It was only a matter of time for Killam and Smith. They were just not getting challenged at the Low-A level and were dominating. Looking forward to seeing how much of their success in IE was a product of being older than the average competition (both being 23 years old). Regardless it's nice to see successful pitching in the organization move up the ladder.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Hey guys isn’t there a day where if Adell gets called up after that date the club doesn’t lose a year of control?

I don't know for certain, but a full year of service is 172 days of the 187-day season. According to BR, Adell has 0.153 years of service, which presumably is 15.3% of 172, which is 26.3 days (let's say 27, just to be certain). That's lower than you would think, but I'm guessing the rules for 2020 were wonky.

Anyhow, 187 days minus 27 = 160 days. Meaning, Adell would need to be on the major league roster less than 160 days this year in order to stay under one year of service. Clearly we're well past that point, so anytime would be fine and keep him under one year of service, and thus push back the time of losing club control.

I could be totally wrong, though. Maybe @Jeff Fletcher can clarify with regards to Adell.

EDIT: See below post.

Edited by Angelsjunky

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

According to BR, Adell has 0.153 years of service, which presumably is 15.3% of 172, which is 26.3 days (let's say 27, just to be certain).

How can he only 27 days accumulated when he played in 38games last year?

7 minutes ago, Lou said:

"While some contractual considerations were undoubtedly at play considering Adell already had 153 days of Major League service time, an argument can certainly be made that Adell needs a bit more seasoning before his next appearance in an Angels uniform."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/03/angels-option-jo-adell-to-minors.html

Weird. BR says "0.153," but I guess that means 0 years, 153 days. Obviously he hasn't been on the major league roster for 153 days, but that must be the pro-rated amount for 2020's games.

That would mean he only has 19 days until he has a full year of service, so the real answer to @Stradling 's question would be September 16 or later: that is 18 days (not games) before the final game of the season (Oct 3), so he finishes the season with 171 days total or fewer.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

Weird. BR says "0.153," but I guess that means 0 years, 153 days.

That would mean he only has 19 days until he has a full year of service, so the real answer to @Stradling's question would be September 16: that is 18 days before the final game of the season (Oct 3).

I know last year's days were pro-rated, so it does make more sense that it would be over 100 days. 

Yeah, I think that 153 is days and not a true fraction of 1.  So he needs 19 more days to accumulate a full season.  Just makes it all the more dumb that they called him up.  

If they were going to truly manipulate his service time it would likely be over a combo of this year and next where they would wait until sept to call him up this year which would give him over a year from 2020 and 2021 and then keep him down until May or June next year.