• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

36 minutes ago, wopphil said:

If a guy walks 24 batters in 15 innings (which is so bad it is actually hilarious), he will never be able to limit his walks. He can literally cut his walks in half, and still be walking like 8 guys per 9 innings. 

If Mathis could get more hits, he'd be a much better hitter.  

1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

Jeremiah Jackson with a triple and homer with 4 RBI’s for the 66ers to go along with 2 strikeouts. Jackson is leading the league in both homers (5) and RBI’s with 24.

k rate is slowly coming down (still high but not atrocious), bb rate slowly coming up (pretty good overall).  Some bad luck with the batting average.  I've seen a few of his at bats this year and he's not wildly flailing at the breaking ball like he was prone to last year.  Signs of encouragement and his swing just looks more sound and simple than it has in years past.  

8 hours ago, wopphil said:

If a guy walks 24 batters in 15 innings (which is so bad it is actually hilarious), he will never be able to limit his walks. He can literally cut his walks in half, and still be walking like 8 guys per 9 innings. 

Yeah but it’s not like it’s his career BB9. He’s always walked more than usual, around 5 per 9 coming into this season, but he’s always had good strikeout numbers too. Pretty typical for a future reliever. 

Also no minor league season and all. These guys are gonna be rusty. Hitters too. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Yeah but it’s not like it’s his career BB9. He’s always walked more than usual, around 5 per 9 coming into this season, but he’s always had good strikeout numbers too. Pretty typical for a future reliever. 

Also no minor league season and all. These guys are gonna be rusty. Hitters too. 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Davis Daniel and Cristopher Molina combined for a 1-hit, 15 K shutout for Tri-City tonight.  Molina relieved Daniel in the 6th and actually had a perfect 4 innings.  No baserunners, 7 K.  Daniel gave up 1 single, walked 4, K'ed 8.

Cris Molina was on a few top 30 lists the past couple of years. Did any of our guys have him in their top 30 for this season? He has been dominating so far this year (1.42 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, and 30 K's in 25.1 innings). Also looks like Daniel is still struggling a little with control but damn he's been really good lately too.

Edited by rafibomb

3 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Cris Molina was on a few top 30 lists the past couple of years. Did any of our guys have him in their top 30 for this season? He has been dominating so far this year (1.42 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, and 30 K's in 25.1 innings). Also looks like Daniel is still struggling a little with control but damn he's been really good lately too.

Id expect rust from Daniel -- he hasn't pitched competitively since 2019 when he was in college and managed 2 innings before blowing out his elbow.  

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Fangraphs' prospect list. They're (expectedly and understandably) more bearish on most of our prospects, but some interesting tidbits that were new to me (e.g. didn't know Marsh's dad died recently):

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-32-prospects-los-angeles-angels/

Interesting that they have Rodriguez as a single inning reliever and Holmes as a SP.

Edited by totdprods

10 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Fangraphs on our guys today...

"Tyler and Brady both sit about 92-95 with carry; that’s a big spike for Tyler, who was 89-92 in 2019."

Daniel was up to 96 (sitting 90-94) at Auburn and had a very pretty 12-to-6 curveball, but he blew out early during his draft spring and needed TJ in April of 2019. His velocity isn’t all the way back coming out of surgery but he’s still missing bats, he can really spin the baseball, and teams have asked the Angels about him in trades. Even though he’s already 24, Daniel’s 40-man timeline is still favorable and presents teams with a lot of flexibility. If we assume a bullpen move means Daniel sits closer to the mid-90s, he’s going to have two impact pitches that play in relief.

The new name for me was Alexander Hidalgo - never heard of him.

Made me think of Richard Hidalgo, a bit of a flash-in-the-pan for the Astros back in the late 90s to early 00s. Hidalgo hit .314/.391/.636 with 44 HR and 7.3 WAR in 2000, and then had another very good season in 2003, but only played for 9 years. I think he was often hurt. 

We've heard this before, so not a surprised.  Still, it's stuff like this that continues to make me question my fandom for this franchise/organization.

Per FG article:

"If you think the system is thin, wait until you see the scouting department. The Angels furloughed area scouts during the pandemic and didn’t bring many of them back, forcing their remaining personnel (mostly crosscheckers and above) to scout in unfamiliar parts of the country ahead of the 2021 draft. I don’t know whether this will impact their draft strategy since it’s likely they’ve done a lot of video work and have been forced to lean more heavily on data to make decisions this year."

44 minutes ago, Fourts said:

We've heard this before, so not a surprised.  Still, it's stuff like this that continues to make me question my fandom for this franchise/organization.

Per FG article:

"If you think the system is thin, wait until you see the scouting department. The Angels furloughed area scouts during the pandemic and didn’t bring many of them back, forcing their remaining personnel (mostly crosscheckers and above) to scout in unfamiliar parts of the country ahead of the 2021 draft. I don’t know whether this will impact their draft strategy since it’s likely they’ve done a lot of video work and have been forced to lean more heavily on data to make decisions this year."

Meanwhile I've been told by some that their teams are leaning more on traditional scouting this year bc the aren't sure performance data is a true indication of performance after the long layoff.

Spin data and the sort should be fine at least.

Longenhagen has developed a particular viewpoint of the Angels system where you sort of take the good in with them bad.

The good is that he's good at finding obscure talent many of us never heard of, and the small details he gathers from instructs really do make a big difference in painting his picture. He's good at that.

The bad is that he's one of the original Mariner-loving-Angel-Hating squad members from FG. He's become quite adept at portraying systems in a more objective manner, but occasionally his fanhood shines through, as it would on any other site. That and, this is splitting hairs, but there's always a collection of small but critical errors in his scouting reports. Heights are off, ages are off, velocity is inaccurate.

But overall, he produces a product that's superior to MLB.com, and more informational than many smaller team-centric sites. He's always too low on the teams he generally disagrees with in minor league philosophy (Angels, Cards, Braves, Brewers, Blue Jays) and way too high on the teams he either likes of has contacts with (Mariners, Astros, Yankees, etc) but that's just part of his brand. 

He's decent. Could be a lot worse. Just take what he says with a grain of salt, knowing the source, that's all.