• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

We are seeing a ton of good pitching performances so far this season.  There’s lots of stat lines shared here with huge strike out games by our young pitchers.  So a couple of questions.  First in the minors are k rates up across the board like they are in the majors?  Secondly, is pitching ahead of the hitting early in the season in the minors like often times it is in the majors?  Basically what I’m asking is, are the Angels minor league pitchers pitching better than other teams minor league pitchers?  

The short answer is no. Strikeout rates in the minors are crazy right now. Take Low A West, for example. The 66ers are striking out 11.8 batters per 9 innings, and that's essentially league average (11.7). Modesto is K'ing 14.1/9ip!!

Same on High-A West, where Tri-City is striking out 11.1/9ip, which exactly matches the league average. Rocket City is 10.9/9ip, 0.3 above league average. Salt Lake is 9.1/9ip, 0.8 below league average. 

So, as you can see, pitchers' K-rates decline as minor league level increases-- but they're still crazy high at all levels. 

7 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Is he striking out swinging, or striking out looking? I think there's a big difference.

Swinging. His problem is he needs a bigger bat.

He can't make contact. Amazing bat speed, but low contact rate. When he does make contact, his exit velocity is the lowest in the league.

Basically... he has no game.

Edited by True Grich

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

He can't make contact. Amazing bat speed, but low contact rate. When he does make contact, his exit velocity is the lowest in the league.

Basically... he has no game.

Shut up 

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Looking.  

Not good. Got to swing that bat @failos or you'll never get the home run, you might stumble onto first base with an error but unless you're only 12 that's not really going to do it. Swing the bat, and just keeps swinging, even if 3 out of 4 blow you out you've still got a .250 average and if you're out every night you will be bedding two women a week. Doesn't matter how ugly the swing is, if it's in the strike zone often enough it'll make contact soon enough. 

21 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Or just a smoother swing. 

1 minute ago, WicketMaiden said:

Not good. Got to swing that bat @failos or you'll never get the home run, you might stumble onto first base with an error but unless you're only 12 that's not really going to do it. Swing the bat, and just keeps swinging, even if 3 out of 4 blow you out you've still got a .250 average and if you're out every night you will be bedding two women a week. Doesn't matter how ugly the swing is, if it's in the strike zone often enough it'll make contact soon enough. 

Or just a smoother swing. 

Some good stuff here.

I had a plate appearance and things were looking good, but Maddon changed the pitcher too soon (this was back in the LOOGY days).

I’m going back on Tuesday afternoon (going to bring my laptop and work there), so hopefully I get a rematch. 

8 minutes ago, failos said:

Some good stuff here.

I had a plate appearance and things were looking good, but Maddon changed the pitcher too soon (this was back in the LOOGY days).

I’m going back on Tuesday afternoon (going to bring my laptop and work there), so hopefully I get a rematch. 

Let me know if you need a wing man. 

11 hours ago, Second Base said:

The thing with House is he's very young, 17. And power hitters typically take a little longer to develop. You're looking at a 3B/1B that will hit in the middle of the order, but likely wouldn't be ready until 2026. And that's assuming he carries an expedient pace like Austin Riley or Joey Gallo and reached the majors by 22. 

With Bachman, I believe you have a front end major league starting pitcher in 2024. 

The Angels system, has a ton of guys with that 2026 timeline attached, particularly position players. But not a lot of pitchers with projection and a 2024 timeline. 

Dreaming of a rotation with Detmers, Rodriguez, Ohtani, a fully developed Canning, Kochanowicz, and Bachman. 

Now obviously, that's if everything goes right, and let's be honest, this is the Angels so we can anticipate quite a bit to not go their way. Which is why they needed to sleeve their first to pick on a guy like Detmers last year, and their second on Kochanowicz the year before. In fact, they should probably spend their first round pick on a collegiate starter with upside for the next three consecutive years, and an upside prep arm the following two years. 

In about five years, then the Angels might have enough pitching depth to begin pursuing Marsh-Adell-Adams all over again. As much as we all love the athleticism Eppler's draft strategies produced, they set us back years on the pitching end of things. There needs to be balance and that will take a lot of drafting and signing of actual upside pitchers to achieve. 

Yeah, I'd definitely go Bachman over House, because unlike the conventional wisdom, I do think you should consider need, at least as a tie-breaker and given the uncertainty of drafting prospects.

Meaning, unless a guy stands out as a significantly better talent, a team should consider organizational needs. Meaning, I'd rather the Angels draft a 50 FV catcher than a 55 FV middle infielder or outfielder. Once you get to a +/- 10 FV, I might feel different. So if the best guy available is House and the better pitching prospects are off the table, you go with House over a future #4-5 starter. But if it is similarly talented guys, you go with the one that best serves the org's needs.

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Does anyone know if Marsh is just getting unlucky at the plate of he is struggling? his average is under 200, but he's walking close to 19%

Well his BABIP is pretty low at .242 and he's been consistently around .350 or higher in his minor league career. He's only played 13 games, so I'd give it some time before worrying too much.

On 5/27/2021 at 10:45 AM, Chuckster70 said:

No. His last article was in 2011 and he shut down his website. https://mlblogsfutureangels.wordpress.com/

This dude completely dropped the ball with Angels fans online going back to the 90's and through his final days on the net. He was pompous and an absolute jerk. The guy even got one of our friends back on the Delphi Angels forum (LA Times Refugees Forum) fired from his job and tried to get me fired a few years later. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 10.38.03 AM.png

Speaking of dropping the ball, I'm guessing he dropped the ball in this photo. Good riddance to one of the biggest dicks online! 

IP, Brian, and I were on at least three different Angels boards in the mid-late 90s. This goomba was banned or voluntarily left each one because he was a gigantic lug nut. 

He may have done good work on his Future Angels sight, but he spent so much time around the minor leaguers in Lake Elsinore that he lost all objectivity, and would not tolerate any criticism of the players. He equated  performance with character, and any criticism of their performance was treated as an attack on their character. He defended each and player as if they were his family members. You couldn’t have an honest conversation with him because of it. Then he would inevitably turn nasty and start doing his crappy little games, then leave in a blaze of disgruntled glory. He burned every bridge he ever crossed.

He was a pretty miserable person.

I'd say Stefanic is working his way onto the 2022 bench depth chart, behind Rengifo, Wong and, perhaps, Barreto for middle infielders.

If the Angels want to go cheap and/or save money for pitching, they can pair Fletcher with a couple of those guys. With their Big Four bats of Trout, Ohtani, Rendon and Walsh, Adell and Marsh added to the mix, and a nice tandem of Stassi/Thaiss at catcher, I think they can handle one weak or uncertain position in the lineup, and I'd like to see if any of those guys can be solid major leaguers, especially Rengifo. Plus, it saves $5-15M for pitching.

Edited by Angelsjunky