• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

I've watched a few of the bees games now and Lund is hitting the ball hard.  His 5hrs are partially altitude aided but not totally.  He actually plays a solid CF defense.  He doesn't walk a ton but enough to keep pitchers honest.  

I've been high and low on him.  I liked him out of the draft and then cooled on him but I think he can be a solid 4th or 5th OFer.  

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

a harder throwing Max Fried.  😉

I mean I'd say the curve is a plus-pitch. I want to say he's also been throwing that pitch harder as well (76-78)? The fastball at that velocity is maybe a plus-pitch? The change and slider are both average (Fletcher's scout mentioned though his slider is his best pitch at around 88 mph). That's gotta be top-of-the-rotation/ace upside right?

3 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

I mean I'd say the curve is a plus-pitch. I want to say he's also been throwing that pitch harder as well (76-78)? The fastball at that velocity is maybe a plus-pitch? The change and slider are both average (Fletcher's scout mentioned though his slider is his best pitch at around 88 mph). That's gotta be top-of-the-rotation/ace upside right?

I'm not saying anything except the chageup from that video was absolutely filthy.  

16 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

His slider is clocking in at what his fastball used to sit at.

i'm ultra curious how a guy goes from throwing 88-91 to 95 in a couple months.  We've got several guys who came out of nowhere an are missing a ton of bats right now.  I want to believe, but of course, I'm an Angel fan.  

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I've watched a few of the bees games now and Lund is hitting the ball hard.  His 5hrs are partially altitude aided but not totally.  He actually plays a solid CF defense.  He doesn't walk a ton but enough to keep pitchers honest.  

I've been high and low on him.  I liked him out of the draft and then cooled on him but I think he can be a solid 4th or 5th OFer.  

Hitting ~.400 over last week or so. He had a slow first month in 2019 at SLC and had a really strong remainder of the year too. 

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

i'm ultra curious how a guy goes from throwing 88-91 to 95 in a couple months.  We've got several guys who came out of nowhere an are missing a ton of bats right now.  I want to believe, but of course, I'm an Angel fan.  

Same thing as Detmers happened with Canning after being drafted. The current trend among American pitchers is that hard throwing prep pitchers will settle in a couple ticks slower than they threw in high school. Everyone else will gain 2-3 mph.

Latin American pitchers are typically bright in at 16 when they aren't even close to done developing. They may sign a 5'11" 16 year old that touches 85. In five years he'll be 6'3" and throwing 95. 

I don't know how to explain it except professional coaching, strength training, nutrition and simple physical development. 

I mean if Detmers is sitting at 94-95 that changes things a bit as far as projections are concerned.

Not saying he's a number 1 guy buuuut he's pushing up to a #2. If he can control his pitches he's looking pretty damn good.

Definitely cautiously optimistic over this guy. We need a good lefty and Heaney ain't it.

6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I mean if Detmers is sitting at 94-95 that changes things a bit as far as projections are concerned.

Not saying he's a number 1 guy buuuut he's pushing up to a #2. If he can control his pitches he's looking pretty damn good.

Definitely cautiously optimistic over this guy. We need a good lefty and Heaney ain't it.

six innings and only 83 pitches.  59 for strikes.  

The 2019 draft is taking some shape as we're finally getting to see some of these guys.  

Of course it includes Paris and Kochanowicz.  The latter of who has struggled so far.  

a couple guys got moved from this class in the Bundy trade - Peek, Stallings and Brnovich

other guys like Daniel, Rivera, Linginfelter, Sykes, Killam, Dashwood, Kristofak, Veliz, Donovan, Ryan Smith (check out his numbers), and a few others.  

K numbers are off the charts as seems to be the case across all minor league ball.  But there are some really good performances overall.  

23 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

The 2019 draft is taking some shape as we're finally getting to see some of these guys.  

Of course it includes Paris and Kochanowicz.  The latter of who has struggled so far.  

a couple guys got moved from this class in the Bundy trade - Peek, Stallings and Brnovich

other guys like Daniel, Rivera, Linginfelter, Sykes, Killam, Dashwood, Kristofak, Veliz, Donovan, Ryan Smith (check out his numbers), and a few others.  

K numbers are off the charts as seems to be the case across all minor league ball.  But there are some really good performances overall.  

Don’t sleep on 2018 either. They aren’t popping like the ‘19 arms, but Higgins, Hernandez, Criswell, Warren, Wantz all feel like they have at least a shot at impacting the MLB depth this next year or two. 

Couple other longer shots in Jake Lee, Kyle Tyler, Luis Alvarado...Justin Anderson proved to me anyone could emerge if they hit the right combo at the right time with some hints of minor league success.

Edited by totdprods

One of the things that is irking me is that fans with a only very basic knowledge of baseball are equating velocity with status as a pitcher. As if the difference between a #3 starter and a #2 starter is freaking their fastball velocity being at 93 mph instead of 94. 

Please stop doing that.

It's just stupid and shows an utter lack of understanding. Or in a more informational manner, quality pitches and location dictate the success of a pitcher, and quality pitches come in all different shapes and velocities. 

Some of the very best starters in MLB have velocity readings all over the place.

Gerrit Cole - 97 mph

Trevor Bauer - 94 mph

Jacob DeGrom - 98 mph

Yu Darvish - 94 mph

Julio Urias - 94 mph

Clayton Kershaw - 91 mph

Jack Flaherty - 93 mph

Walker Buehler - 97 mph

Shane Bieber - 98 mph

John Means - 92 mph

Max Scherzer - 94 mph

Yeah, some guys are successful in the upper 90's. And some guys are successful in the lower 90's with their fastball. But this completely leaves out the percentages of the time they use them, what count they use them in, their movement, where they're spotted, etc....

And perhaps the most egregious error, is that pretending their fastball is their most effective pitch. Basic fans aren't talking about their cutter, sinker, change up, or the differentiation between slider and curve because it simply isn't sexy. 

Spoiler Alert: The Angels didn't draft Reid Detmers for his fastball velocity. Reid Detmers fastball velocity being 95 instead of 93 will have VERY little impact on his progression or success as a pitcher. The only time you really need to be scrutinizing fastball velocity is if you're talking about 89 mph versus 95. Then we've got something to talk about because very few pitchers live successfully at 89.

Basically Weaver and Greg Maddux. 

But the difference between throwing 93 and 95 in 30% of your pitches? Hardly noticeable. 

Just look at Ohtani. One of the best outings of his career was two starts so against Houston, where he dialed it back to 93-95. And he's been shellacked before at 98. 

Those that are talking about Detmers curve and change piece, THANK YOU. 

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

One of the things that is irking me is that fans with a only very basic knowledge of baseball are equating velocity with status as a pitcher. As if the difference between a #3 starter and a #2 starter is freaking their fastball velocity being at 93 mph instead of 94. 

Please stop doing that.

It's just stupid and shows an utter lack of understanding. Or in a more informational manner, quality pitches and location dictate the success of a pitcher, and quality pitches come in all different shapes and velocities. 

Some of the very best starters in MLB have velocity readings all over the place.

Gerrit Cole - 97 mph

Trevor Bauer - 94 mph

Jacob DeGrom - 98 mph

Yu Darvish - 94 mph

Julio Urias - 94 mph

Clayton Kershaw - 91 mph

Jack Flaherty - 93 mph

Walker Buehler - 97 mph

Shane Bieber - 98 mph

John Means - 92 mph

Max Scherzer - 94 mph

Yeah, some guys are successful in the upper 90's. And some guys are successful in the lower 90's with their fastball. But this completely leaves out the percentages of the time they use them, what count they use them in, their movement, where they're spotted, etc....

And perhaps the most egregious error, is that pretending their fastball is their most effective pitch. Basic fans aren't talking about their cutter, sinker, change up, or the differentiation between slider and curve because it simply isn't sexy. 

Spoiler Alert: The Angels didn't draft Reid Detmers for his fastball velocity. Reid Detmers fastball velocity being 95 instead of 93 will have VERY little impact on his progression or success as a pitcher. The only time you really need to be scrutinizing fastball velocity is if you're talking about 89 mph versus 95. Then we've got something to talk about because very few pitchers live successfully at 89.

Basically Weaver and Greg Maddux. 

But the difference between throwing 93 and 95 in 30% of your pitches? Hardly noticeable. 

Just look at Ohtani. One of the best outings of his career was two starts so against Houston, where he dialed it back to 93-95. And he's been shellacked before at 98. 

Those that are talking about Detmers curve and change piece, THANK YOU. 

I like how you tried to make a point about velocity yet the average velocity of the guys you posted is...95 mph.

Be less pretentious. 

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I don't think that's possible for him.

I mean I don't know as much as he does and certainly not as much as @Dochalo or @Inside Pitch but I'd say I certainly have more than a "very basic knowledge". Just a dumb potshot. Not to mention "stupid" and "utter lack of understanding". Dumb pretentious bullshit.