• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

he's a 'crafty' RHer.  Pretty sure he still tops out in the 80's.  Comped him to Noe in the past unless something has changed.  

They let Davis Daniel got to almost 100 pitches tonight and after a couple early runs he settled and got 11k.  

Behind Detmers I think Daniel might be our most solid starting pitching prospect. The fastball isn't one of those modern mid-90's fastballs but I heard it has a good spin rate and I really liked his mechanics in spring training. I am unfamiliar with his secondary pitches though.

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

he's a 'crafty' RHer.  Pretty sure he still tops out in the 80's.  Comped him to Noe in the past unless something has changed.  

They let Davis Daniel got to almost 100 pitches tonight and after a couple early runs he settled and got 11k.  

Interesting, I remembered watching one of his starts the year before covid, and he was shitting in the low 90s in that start. I also remember an interview he did at the end of the season, where he mentioned he was sitting in the low 90s and topping at 94, and his plan was for him to get stronger and add velocity. Which, if he did, for a guy with what i would say is Plus command, increase his upside. Let say he doesn't, low 90s is still better than the high 80s. 

it's only been 4 starts, but he's someone to keep an eye on, Especially his whip, if he can keep an whip under 1.20 than he should be getting  the call this year. 

5 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Behind Detmers I think Daniel might be our most solid starting pitching prospect. The fastball isn't one of those modern mid-90's fastballs but I heard it has a good spin rate and I really liked his mechanics in spring training. I am unfamiliar with his secondary pitches though.

it's been a couple years now but pre TJ surg, Daniel was touching 96 so there's still a chance he could regain a little more velo and be in the low to mid 90's.  He might already be there.  He essentially went the better part of two years without playing in real games.  I'm not sure how to estimate timelines for a lot of guys relative to covid.  MLB says he's got a solid curve and feel for the change but I wanna say that one of those pitches looked really good this spring.  

Gonna be interesting to see where a bunch of the arms performing well in the system right now end up.  Whether these massive k rates hold up over the course of the season.  

Julio Goff, Ryan Smith, Kyle Tyler, Cooper Criswell, Brent Killam, Davis Daniel, Aaron Hernandez,  Detmers, Jhonathan Diaz, Linginfelter, Swanda.  And I know Kochanowicz has had a rough start, but he'll be there as well.  

10 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Interesting, I remembered watching one of his starts the year before covid, and he was shitting in the low 90s in that start. I also remember an interview he did at the end of the season, where he mentioned he was sitting in the low 90s and topping at 94, and his plan was for him to get stronger and add velocity. Which, if he did, for a guy with what i would say is Plus command, increase his upside. Let say he doesn't, low 90s is still better than the high 80s. 

it's only been 4 starts, but he's someone to keep an eye on, Especially his whip, if he can keep an whip under 1.20 than he should be getting  the call this year. 

that sounds painful.  

I hadn't heard what you mentioned otherwise but I might be behind on my info.  

12 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Good insider information. 

Danish has some ML experience, with the White Sox, from 16-18.  He's a guy who may be moved up to SLC, with a chance to help out the big league pen, if they continue to be as bad as they've been.

Bringing Sandoval and Suarez up, and demoting Rowen and Slegers, is definitely an improvement. 

17 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Cooper Criswell has had an nice start to his year in AA, could be on the door to cracking the MLB roster as a Starter! 5.1 Innings today, lowering his era down to 2.95.

Coming into the start, he has an ERA off 3.38, FIP of 3.28, and a xfip 3.11 and a wip of 1.00 and I would assume these numbers went down. he is also averaging 10 k/9 rate, withony a 1.13 percent BB/9 rate. Does any one know if his stuff took a step forward? these numbers are really good, 10 % k rate, showing solid command, and a wip of 1. We might have a sleeper in our system.  

Criswell's fastball has been sitting in the high 80's his last two starts, based on what I've seen on the broadcast.

So about a month ago, give our take, í began studying different prospects that may be available for the Angels at their pick. Two have stood out above the rest: Brady House and Sam Bachman. The Angels are so stacked as far as position players go, it's unlikely they'll go with House, and that's fine anyway. He's got some helium coming into the draft and looks like he's now going to leave the board before the Angels get to pick. The best way I can describe House is basically Paul Goldschmidt. The biggest issues I see with House is that he's a product of poor instruction. He already has Herculean power, he doesn't need to sell out for it. He needs to just when up and hit. And secondly, he's not a shortstop any more than Albert Pujols was when he was drafted. 

But the other, is Sam Bachman. Let me tell you, I love this kid. Holy moly. He sits upper-90's comfortably. He has three different put away pitches, him hitting 101 on the gun isn't just a one time thing. He's always balanced, anyways in the zone. MLB.com says something about him short arming it, but honestly, I really don't see where they're coming from on that. And he's a down to earth kid. Extremely well spoken, great interaction with the fans and media, reminiscent of Will Smith when the Angels drafted him, or (see if you guys remember this one) Mark Sappington. I think worth proper rest and instruction, he could be a Stephen Strasburg level starter in the pros. Some snow have concern that he ends up in the pen because of his velo, and the fact that he experiences shoulder fatigue on an annual basis (typically early March, dead arm phase, the same thing every major league starter experiences, the only difference is he doesn't pitch through it, he rests). 

I think he's built for the next generation of baseball, which is as a starting pitcher that's limited to mostly 5 innings. 

Some you may be asking, "What about Ty Madden?" Answer: I'm just not a big fan. He's whole body and arm slow down every time he throws a change up, and he has decent stuff and good extension toward the plate but the overall presentation send so straightforward and hittable. 

So, if Sam Bachman is on the board when the Angels pick, he'd be my selection. He'd need two years of developmental time, but eventually I think you'd see a rotation with Ohtani, Detmers, Kochanowicz and himself in it and that's something you can build around. 

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

Extremely well spoken, great interaction with the fans and media, reminiscent of Will Smith when the Angels drafted him, or (see if you guys remember this one) Mark Sappington.

Sappington always seemed like an all around great guy to be around. I think I saw that he is a preacher now, which makes sense as he was always seemed really enthusiastic and genuine in interviews. I really wished he made it to the majors.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Definitely intrigued by Bachman. As for House, if he really can hit like Goldschmidt, I don't care where he can or can't play. You draft a hitter like that and figure it out later.

The thing with House is he's very young, 17. And power hitters typically take a little longer to develop. You're looking at a 3B/1B that will hit in the middle of the order, but likely wouldn't be ready until 2026. And that's assuming he carries an expedient pace like Austin Riley or Joey Gallo and reached the majors by 22. 

With Bachman, I believe you have a front end major league starting pitcher in 2024. 

The Angels system, has a ton of guys with that 2026 timeline attached, particularly position players. But not a lot of pitchers with projection and a 2024 timeline. 

Dreaming of a rotation with Detmers, Rodriguez, Ohtani, a fully developed Canning, Kochanowicz, and Bachman. 

Now obviously, that's if everything goes right, and let's be honest, this is the Angels so we can anticipate quite a bit to not go their way. Which is why they needed to sleeve their first to pick on a guy like Detmers last year, and their second on Kochanowicz the year before. In fact, they should probably spend their first round pick on a collegiate starter with upside for the next three consecutive years, and an upside prep arm the following two years. 

In about five years, then the Angels might have enough pitching depth to begin pursuing Marsh-Adell-Adams all over again. As much as we all love the athleticism Eppler's draft strategies produced, they set us back years on the pitching end of things. There needs to be balance and that will take a lot of drafting and signing of actual upside pitchers to achieve. 

The thing I love about Jack Kochanowicz is his development first and foremost as a pitcher and not a thrower. 

How many pitchers come out of high school with his frame and a full ride to Vandy? Practically none. 

He could've shown up and said, "F the mechanics, let's pump some freaking gas!" And he can do that. During instructs he'd hit 97 and 98 a few times just to show you he can. 

But instead, we're seeing someone of his size show downright graceful movements on the mound and live comfortably at 92-94, because that's where his mechanics stay in check and that's where he feels like he can spot his fastball. The high octane heat is there if he ever needs it, but learning how to use it first is important. 

We are seeing a ton of good pitching performances so far this season.  There’s lots of stat lines shared here with huge strike out games by our young pitchers.  So a couple of questions.  First in the minors are k rates up across the board like they are in the majors?  Secondly, is pitching ahead of the hitting early in the season in the minors like often times it is in the majors?  Basically what I’m asking is, are the Angels minor league pitchers pitching better than other teams minor league pitchers?