• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I'd really like to see Thaiss cut down a little on his strikeouts but his current slash line is pretty healthy at .302/.423/.512/.935. The sooner he can replace Kurt Suzuki the better the Angels will be. 

I don't think the Angels see Thaiss as a MLB catcher. Sure, they are experimenting with him there but he's only started 3 of the last 8 games at catcher. Overall he has had 4 errors in 11 games at catcher.

And you're right, the 30% K rate is an issue.

9 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

I don't think the Angels see Thaiss as a MLB catcher. Sure, they are experimenting with him there but he's only started 3 of the last 8 games at catcher. Overall he has had 4 errors in 11 games at catcher.

I don't think it was ever about making him the primary catcher but if he can be the second guy then it's actually very useful.  I'm gonna forgive a highish k rate for anyone with an obp above .350.  

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

@Dochalo

I picked Mike Mayers because he's someone who everyone currently hates.

8fe0ac04-c5e4-49c5-9b13-1fdf10ee6cef.jpg

74df5a21-1e3d-4b9e-9b05-d32dce3c26c4.jpg

6b128e99-7bfc-465c-927e-a53a7eb3d101.jpg

Brooksbaseball-Chart.jpeg

Brooksbaseball-Chart (1).jpeg

here's the brooks baseball data for horizontal and vertical for Mayers.  I see a recent difference but who the hell knows if it's diagnostic of his problems.  That's for other smarter people to figure out.  

My point for Detmers is that I couldn't even tell what the pitch was gonna be until it was halfway there whereas for most others it's a little more obvious.  Not even remotely trying to say I could do that from the batters box.  Even if his release point were inconsistent, my guess is it's more about stuff and location than anything.  It was an added comment about a bonus that adds to his deception and why the ball seems to get on hitters very late.  It doesn't mean that I think he's gonna be successful because of his release point.  The elevated 94/95, the armside and vertical drop of his change.  The sharp break of his slider and the tremendous depth on his curve (when he throws it right) are all way bigger factors in his success as are other things.  

Do I think release point is a factor?  Yes.  Probably more than you.  Do I think it's the primary factor in determining a pitcher's success?  Of course not.  

21 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think, though, they'll focus on his development and how he plays. I don't know Minasian's approach, but the Angels aren't known for manipulating service time all that much.

Who was the last guy worth manipulating service time over other than Mike trout 10 years ago?  With all due respect to Jose Suarez and Taylor Ward, I don’t think service time and their free agency 6+ years in the future was considered when calling them up. 

1 hour ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

He was drafted out of college as a catcher and was shifted to other positions because of a shoulder problem. He has all of 11 games under his belt in his 5 minor league seasons. I think I'm going to discount those errors to lack of actual playing time. 

I know he isn't ready to sit behind the plate right now at the MLB level but give it another month of continuous play and see where he is at. Like I said, the sooner the Angels can trade Suzuki the better because his defense is truly bad at this point and is costing the Angels games. By July maybe his bat will lure a team needing a backup for a playoff run.  

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He was drafted out of college as a catcher and was shifted to other positions because of a shoulder problem. He has all of 11 games under his belt in his 5 minor league seasons. I think I'm going to discount those errors to lack of actual playing time. 

I know he isn't ready to sit behind the plate right now at the MLB level but give it another month of continuous play and see where he is at. Like I said, the sooner the Angels can trade Suzuki the better because his defense is truly bad at this point and is costing the Angels games. By July maybe his bat will lure a team needing a backup for a playoff run.  

trade Suzuki.  heh.  

7 hours ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

This doesn't make sense at all, considering that they just started having him catch again this year. Why else would they do that in AAA, if they didn't want to at least see what he can do there, with the hopes of him doing it in the majors? Meaning, the Angels don't have Thaiss' minor league career in mind; everything they do with prospects. is towards their future major league career, whether with the org or as a trade chip.

6 hours ago, m0nkey said:

Who was the last guy worth manipulating service time over other than Mike trout 10 years ago?  With all due respect to Jose Suarez and Taylor Ward, I don’t think service time and their free agency 6+ years in the future was considered when calling them up. 

Fair enough. 

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I don't think it was ever about making him the primary catcher but if he can be the second guy then it's actually very useful.  I'm gonna forgive a highish k rate for anyone with an obp above .350.  

Where did primary catcher come from? I said I don't think the Angels see him as "a MLB catcher".

My response was to Blarg saying he wants the Angels to cut ties with Suzuki for Thaiss.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

This doesn't make sense at all, considering that they just started having him catch again this year. Why else would they do that in AAA, if they didn't want to at least see what he can do there, with the hopes of him doing it in the majors? Meaning, the Angels don't have Thaiss' minor league career in mind; everything they do with prospects. is towards their future major league career, whether with the org or as a trade chip.

7 hours ago, m0nkey said:

Don't bury the lead.

Would you replace Suzuki with Thaiss? My response was to Blarg wanting this.

14 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

Don't bury the lead.

Would you replace Suzuki with Thaiss? My response was to Blarg wanting this.

Not right now, but eventually, yes. I think Thaiss' timeline is similar to Adell's: sometime around the ASB or a bit later. 

It might also be that the Angels have already seen enough of Thaiss at catcher and feel confident he can handle the job, thus playing him elsewhere as well. So his call-up could be sooner.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Not right now, but eventually, yes. I think Thaiss' timeline is similar to Adell's: sometime around the ASB or a bit later. 

It might also be that the Angels have already seen enough of Thaiss at catcher and feel confident he can handle the job, thus playing him elsewhere as well. So his call-up could be sooner.

Yeah, It is not like the Angels are taking a player that has never caught before and converting him.  It is like they are giving him a refresher course on catching. He is still young enough to transition back. His bat would play good as a backup. And when he was signed, he transitioned over to first base and later to 3rd base pretty well.   From the little i have read, he has handled himself, behind the plate, better than expected. With next year going back to 25 man rosters, it makes for a more versatile bench. Unless there is a big fire sale, i think September is likely when a callup would happen.

11 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

t might also be that the Angels have already seen enough of Thaiss at catcher and feel confident he can handle the job, thus playing him elsewhere as well. So his call-up could be sooner.

This makes no sense to me. He’s had 4 errors in only 11 games at catcher according to BR. I can’t imagine the Angels saying yep, your ready for the bigs now go play some first and third and DH. I think he’s a project. And so far the defense doesn’t look good. 

18 hours ago, Blarg said:

Team DFA has interest in Suzuki

11 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Why would you call up Thaiss to sit on bench behind Stassi. Only way Angels find out if he can be a catcher is let him play. Leave him at SLC to catch 5 times a week.

28 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

This makes no sense to me. He’s had 4 errors in only 11 games at catcher according to BR. I can’t imagine the Angels saying yep, your ready for the bigs now go play some first and third and DH. I think he’s a project. And so far the defense doesn’t look good. 

Well, I didn't say he's going to be called up now - just maybe sooner than Adell. Also, errors aren't everything - especially in a small sample. The reports of his overall play have been encouraging.

Again, I see the most likely scenario being that he gets a look in the second half with an eye for seeing if he can platoon with Stassi next year.

22 hours ago, Blarg said:

I'd really like to see Thaiss cut down a little on his strikeouts but his current slash line is pretty healthy at .302/.423/.512/.935. The sooner he can replace Kurt Suzuki the better the Angels will be. 

19 hours ago, Blarg said:

12 hours ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

Where did primary catcher come from? I said I don't think the Angels see him as "a MLB catcher".

My response was to Blarg saying he wants the Angels to cut ties with Suzuki for Thaiss.

I posted he had work to do in the minors, that he wasn't ready now. But as soon as he is then trade Suzuki for whatever you can get.

7 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Why would you call up Thaiss to sit on bench behind Stassi. Only way Angels find out if he can be a catcher is let him play. Leave him at SLC to catch 5 times a week.

Please name all of the catchers in the last 5 years that logged more than 75% of the games played. Stassi had one season where he caught 88 games. One. This won't be his second.

As has been talked about elsewhere, June will likely decide for the Angels whether they are buyers or sellers. Right now it looks like sellers, but they have played better over the last two weeks, going 8-5 in their last 13 games. If they're around .500 by the end of the month, they'll be tempted to make a run for it, especially with Trout coming back around the ASB. But if they struggle, I can see them doing an overhaul in July, trading off veterans, releasing a guy here and there, and bringing up prospects.

So I think the "about a month" Blarg mentions makes sense for Thaiss - and Adell. Meaning, around the ASB or shortly after. I would have thought Marsh, too, but he's struggling with an injury and we might not see him until September, unfortunately. But possibly Detmers, Rengifo, Stefanic, and maybe some of the AA pitchers.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

As has been talked about elsewhere, June will likely decide for the Angels whether they are buyers or sellers. Right now it looks like sellers, but they have played better over the last two weeks, going 8-5 in their last 13 games. If they're around .500 by the end of the month, they'll be tempted to make a run for it, especially with Trout coming back around the ASB. But if they struggle, I can see them doing an overhaul in July, trading off veterans, releasing a guy here and there, and bringing up prospects.

So I think the "about a month" Blarg mentions makes sense for Thaiss - and Adell. Meaning, around the ASB or shortly after. I would have thought Marsh, too, but he's struggling with an injury and we might not see him until September, unfortunately. But possibly Detmers, Rengifo, Stefanic, and maybe some of the AA pitchers.

Even if they get to .500 by the end of this month, I actually hope they DON'T consider themselves contenders--at least in the sense of making some sort of splashy trade, unless (as I've mentioned elsewhere) it's for someone controllable beyond this year.  I think the worst thing that could happen is for them to be hovering around .500, trade some prospects/controllable major leaguers for a veteran with limited controllability, and then still have to fill a boatload of positions for next year and beyond--regardless of the outcome of this season.

19 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Even if they get to .500 by the end of this month, I actually hope they DON'T consider themselves contenders--at least in the sense of making some sort of splashy trade, unless (as I've mentioned elsewhere) it's for someone controllable beyond this year.  I think the worst thing that could happen is for them to be hovering around .500, trade some prospects/controllable major leaguers for a veteran with limited controllability, and then still have to fill a boatload of positions for next year and beyond--regardless of the outcome of this season.

Yes, agreed. I think there are three outcomes, in order of preference:

1. They get really hot, everything starts to gel, then Trout comes back.

2. They struggle, trade off as many parts as possible for prospects, and the second half becomes a time to assess the younger players for next year.

3. They continue as is, inching closer to .500, and decide to be buyers.

Meaning, in the off chance that they do have a really good month, which getting to .500 by July 1 would require, it is hard to justify a fire-sale, especially with Trout coming back. I think if that happens, they put plans on hold and see where they're at by the ASB, which is another 10 games. If they're at least a few games over .500 and/or around 5 games back, I don't think they will--or should--be sellers. I mean, they can't exactly say to Trout, "OK, we've been playing really well while we're gone, but we still want to focus on next year, so are going to trade everyone away."

Of course the chances of that happening are slim. More likely they'll be somewhere in the 2-3 range. But the point being, there's still time to see how the rest of the month goes. If they're around .500 by July 1, I think they'll stand pat until it becomes clear which direction they're going in, and re-assess at the ASB. If they're still 5ish games below, I think they go into selling mode. 

With 6 games out of the Wild card (2nd spot) which is still up in the Air. I also think it's to soon to just determine if we're selling or not.

But this is my question, and its regarding Rodriguez. 

Do you think that Rodriguez should get a chance to start this year? I know they plan is to have him pitch once's a week, which to be is mind blowing in a way. 

It doesn't haelp us, if he's only going to pitch once's a week and he is not starting. I would have rather prefered that he just stayed in AAA, pitch onces a week and build his pitch count. Try him in the Rotation with plans to see how he does and even as try-out for next season. 

Lets be honest, Him coming into to pitch once's a week, and only for an inning, does not really help. Rather have him in the Minor and get him strecthed. 

Also on a side note...Suzuki has negative value.