• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

isn't that what most prospect lists are?  It's just handicapping.  It's why you'll never see Walsh or even Calhoun types on a top 100.  All the pundits assume that major league teams know what they are doing to some degree and follow the consensus.  Which is why I think he's saying it's inconsistent that Adams and Detmers aren't on there.  I get the drops for Adell and Marsh.  Otherwise it seems like bias.  Maybe it's the fact that when you have 8 scouts it's less likely those 8 guys might have the time to talk to BA or fangraphs or whoever else because they're accumulating 60k airline miles and their phone is off most of the time.  

One of the biggest things I've noticed from the backfields in Spring Training and watching minor league games (as you do), is that while prospect sites completely miss on guys like Walsh and Kole Calhoun, major league teams definitely do not.  You watch the way talent evaluators from other teams watch these non-hyped guys play, and it's clear they don't give a crap about hype.

National top 100 prospect lists are crap to begin with.  That's just too much talent to sift through to narrow it down like that.  It's mostly based on draft position or international slot bonus and is largely dependent upon hype, and as you've stated before, certain teams hype their prospects better than others.  Or more appropriately, the media will hype certain prospects from specific organizations more than others.  Jasson Dominguez is a great example of this.  He's not the only teenager from the D.R. with more tools than a craftsman's garage.  But he is the only one that generates top 30 ranking before playing his first game, and that has everything to do with the pinstripes. 

Detmers and Adams are both top 100 if they play for New York, maybe even top 50.  That's just kind of the way it goes though.  No use in any of us getting bent out of shape over it.  It certainly doesn't alter their career path. 

Thaiss' bat has definitely reached another level from earlier in his career.  I remember we used to be worried about the power developing, but he's shown power in the big leagues in smaller sample sizes and he's certainly showing some in the hitter friendly AAA environment.

And don't look now, but suddenly Angel Stadium is the most hitter friendly toward LHB ever since they made the terrible decision to put that idiotic yellow line in place.  Matt Thaiss would do well there, though in all fairness his greatest area of power happens to be left centerfield, similar to Ohtani and Walsh. 

And every time I watch Suzuki catch, I begin to worry less and less about defense.  He clearly isn't a good defensive catcher anymore, and his offensive contributions could easily be matched and exceeded by Thaiss.  

The only advantage to Suzuki I think is the way he handles a pitcher.  He's been through it all, and likely has more of an evening, calming presence in high stress situations. 

Also, Barria continues to look good in AAA.  That isn't news or anything, but given the environment, and the Angels generalized struggle with pitching, and the upcoming trade deadline, Barria could get a shot in the Angels rotation (again) if they end up dealing away Bundy, Heaney, Cobb or Quintana, not that anyone particularly wants those guys right now.

Or, if the Angels have a run in them like the end of last year, if they're in contention, Barria might be a decent bullpen option or could be kicked into a trade package.

13 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Also, Barria continues to look good in AAA.  That isn't news or anything, but given the environment, and the Angels generalized struggle with pitching, and the upcoming trade deadline, Barria could get a shot in the Angels rotation (again) if they end up dealing away Bundy, Heaney, Cobb or Quintana, not that anyone particularly wants those guys right now.

Or, if the Angels have a run in them like the end of last year, if they're in contention, Barria might be a decent bullpen option or could be kicked into a trade package.

Barria needs to be in rotation after trade deadline. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

He's been primarily at C, with games at 1B and 3B as well. 

I noticed this trend last night...

Thaiss went a stretch from 5/13 to 5/22 where he caught 6 of 9 games. Since then, from 5/23 through 6/7, Thaiss has only been the catcher in 3 of 13 games. Over that same stretch he has 3 starts at DH and 6 starts at 1B. He had a really rough night behind the plate on 5/22 and has 4 errors at catcher in limited starts.

And I think if a team has a 26 year old prospect who hasn't played catcher since college in 2016/5 years ago and you are looking at him to catch in MLB games I think he would be catching more than 3 of 13 AAA games over guys like Butera, Arcia and Bemboom.

Something doesn't add up.

I'm thinking they gave him a shot and they have backed off. Who knows why, I'm basing it on box scores and BR but something isn't right and I haven't seen anything with more in depth analysis. If Thaiss were a stock I wouldn't buy him as a MLB catcher right now but If he can replicate the hitting at the MLB level I think he can find a MLB home at 1B/3B/DH and as an ED player at either position with the right team.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Angel's do not need a starter who has a career ERA as a starter of 4.06 

44 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

I noticed this trend last night...

Thaiss went a stretch from 5/13 to 5/22 where he caught 6 of 9 games. Since then, from 5/23 through 6/7, Thaiss has only been the catcher in 3 of 13 games. Over that same stretch he has 3 starts at DH and 6 starts at 1B. He had a really rough night behind the plate on 5/22 and has 4 errors at catcher in limited starts.

And I think if a team has a 26 year old prospect who hasn't played catcher since college in 2016/5 years ago and you are looking at him to catch in MLB games I think he would be catching more than 3 of 13 AAA games over guys like Butera, Arcia and Bemboom.

Something doesn't add up.

I'm thinking they gave him a shot and they have backed off. Who knows why, I'm basing it on box scores and BR but something isn't right and I haven't seen anything with more in depth analysis. If Thaiss were a stock I wouldn't buy him as a MLB catcher right now but If he can replicate the hitting at the MLB level I think he can find a MLB home at 1B/3B/DH and as an ED player at either position with the right team.

It could be as simple as wanting to keep his legs and bat fresh at a position that's most likely to help the big club this year.  They likely weren't ever going to bring him up to play C at mlb this year.  Perhaps they're contemplating bringing him up to play 1b and moving Walsh to RF.  Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to that.  Ward passes the eye test in CF to me and Lagares sucks.   

Not sure they'd quit on the experiment quite so quick but maybe.  He's looked ok not good back there in the games I've seen but who know what feel he's got for it.  It's always gonna be about his bat for him and right now he's actually got a path to get some PT with the big club at 1b because walsh is capable in RF.  

They're also rostering 3 catchers in AAA which means they might get rid of suzuki soon or they're worried about the health of both at MLB.  

10 hours ago, Second Base said:

One of the biggest things I've noticed from the backfields in Spring Training and watching minor league games (as you do), is that while prospect sites completely miss on guys like Walsh and Kole Calhoun, major league teams definitely do not.  You watch the way talent evaluators from other teams watch these non-hyped guys play, and it's clear they don't give a crap about hype.

National top 100 prospect lists are crap to begin with.  That's just too much talent to sift through to narrow it down like that.  It's mostly based on draft position or international slot bonus and is largely dependent upon hype, and as you've stated before, certain teams hype their prospects better than others.  Or more appropriately, the media will hype certain prospects from specific organizations more than others.  Jasson Dominguez is a great example of this.  He's not the only teenager from the D.R. with more tools than a craftsman's garage.  But he is the only one that generates top 30 ranking before playing his first game, and that has everything to do with the pinstripes. 

Detmers and Adams are both top 100 if they play for New York, maybe even top 50.  That's just kind of the way it goes though.  No use in any of us getting bent out of shape over it.  It certainly doesn't alter their career path. 

So what you're saying (in a way i can understand) is that Top 100 Prospect list websites only care about the Ginger's....and ignore the Mary-Ann's.  MLB teams know that Mary-Ann's are the foundation of a good baseball team/organization.  Or maybe i just want to see a dancing Mary Ann clip 😃

200.gif

I do think Thaiss has a place on the Angels, but maybe not this year - or not until it is clear that they're out. They're playing well right now (9-5 in their last 14 games), and I wouldn't mess too much with anything. 

Next year, he'll be a nice player to have, as a multi-positional back-up. He could get 200+ PA that way, more if someone (inevitably) gets hurt.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I do think Thaiss has a place on the Angels, but maybe not this year - or not until it is clear that they're out. They're playing well right now (9-5 in their last 14 games), and I wouldn't mess too much with anything. 

Next year, he'll be a nice player to have, as a multi-positional back-up. He could get 200+ PA that way, more if someone (inevitably) gets hurt.

I don’t see it. I want to but I don’t. So he’d back up all the corners and be a third string catcher. I don’t see it as you’d like your back up outfielder to be able to play CF.  Ward fits that mold better.  So if you have both then your bench while versatile isn’t good. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t see it. I want to but I don’t. So he’d back up all the corners and be a third string catcher. I don’t see it as you’d like your back up outfielder to be able to play CF.  Ward fits that mold better.  So if you have both then your bench while versatile isn’t good. 

If he can progress his catching skills to where it's better than third string, then having a LHB that can play the corners, get on base, and catch, has real value.

13 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If he can progress his catching skills to where it's better than third string, then having a LHB that can play the corners, get on base, and catch, has real value.

I agree with that. But then he’s your back up catcher and won’t get much time at other positions. I mean I guess there’s back up catchers that see some time at 1st base.  

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

IP pretty much said what I was going to say. It seems they have dropped C from Ward's resume, except as an emergency third stringer. So if Thaiss develops enough, he can back-up Stassi. If Stassi gets hurt, you call up a guy from AAA (a Bemboom/Butera/Graterol type).

Ward seems to actually be improving so is a useful guy to have around, as a 4OF. I do think one or both of Adell and Marsh will be ready next year, and if Upton is really resurging, then they might go with an outfield of Upton, Trout, one of Adell/Marsh, and Ward. Or they trade Upton, and go with both Adell and Marsh, or a platoon of all three around Trout.

But Thaiss can back up Walsh, Rendon, and Stassi. Ward as a platoon/4OF.