• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Right Field Options for the Angels

BTH

12 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I mentioned last season that Maddon said Ohtani being relegated to a DH is a waste of his athleticism.  I do agree with you that Ohtani is probably working on fielding a position during the offseason.  It remains to be seen whether he'll get any game action on the field, but Maddon's statement does indicate they are at least considering him playing in the field.  This isn't just fans saying "well, he once played RF many years ago, so why not now?" - it's his manager.  

Ultimately, I think it's likely that Ohtani will be a good pitcher next year, albeit with a strict innings limit as well. His at bats will likely come almost exclusively come from the DH spot. But Maddon is a big fan of guys playing multiple positions, so I think at the very least we see Ohtani becoming available as a solid backup OF if we're in a pinch. 

I know there are many who are skeptical about Ohtani as a pitcher now, but I think they have prematurely lost their faith in him. Last year was his first time back since his TJ and thanks to COVID, the circumstances for his return were far from ideal. I'm a big believer it was the lack of a full spring training that caused Ohtani's woes as well as his injury. 

On the hitting spectrum, I think I point to the lack of a full spring training as well as the shortened season not allowing him a real chance to turn things around. The talent and skill are there still. 

4 minutes ago, OhtaniSan said:

Ultimately, I think it's likely that Ohtani will be a good pitcher next year, albeit with a strict innings limit as well. His at bats will likely come almost exclusively come from the DH spot. But Maddon is a big fan of guys playing multiple positions, so I think at the very least we see Ohtani becoming available as a solid backup OF if we're in a pinch. 

I know there are many who are skeptical about Ohtani as a pitcher now, but I think they have prematurely lost their faith in Ohtani. Last year was his first time back since his TJ and thanks to COVID, the circumstances for his return were far from ideal. I'm a big believer it was the lack of a full spring training that caused Ohtani's woes as well as his injury. 

On the hitting spectrum, I think I point to the lack of a full spring training as well as the shortened season not allowing him a real chance to turn things around. The talent and skill are there still. 

I agree with the above.  I think if Ohtani is healthy, he'd be ticketed for ~70-80 innings, but probably not much beyond that, given how little he has pitched the last two years.

I also agree the most likely outcome is he doesn't play the field this year, or if he does, it is very seldom, as they want to ensure his right arm is healthy and able to pitch.  

Given his likely innings limit, I wouldn't expect to see him pitch until sometime mid-May or so, as they try to bring him along slowly and ensure he is 100% healthy.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

You know who is super athletic? Adell.  You know who sucked in RF last year?  Adell.   Just because Ohtani is athletic doesn’t mean that translates to being a good outfielder. 

While you're correct on a very basic level, you seem to have forgtten some important information that separates Adell from Ohtani, at least in my mind.

Maddon has had Ohtani taking fly balls in the outfield and grounders at first base ever since his injury, and Maddon remains very vocal in his praise of Ohtani's athleticism and wide skill set. He even said he thinks Ohtani is already "too good" to not be somewhere on the field. On the other hand, he was quite blunt about Adell's need to further develop his defense. If Ohtani is already impressing Maddon with his defense despite never playing a defensive position in the MLB, the odds of it translating into Ohtani being a solid outfielder are very high. 

8 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Angels were working with him at 1B and OF last season. I'm saying if he cannot pitch he has too much talent just to DH.

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

If he can't pitch it's because he can't throw.  If he can't throw then he can't play the field.  put it together.  

I think he's trying to say that if Ohtani is healthy and in the rotation, he should/could play the field on days he isn't pitching. 

And if that's the case I agree, Maddon himself said Ohtani is too talented and athletic to only DH.

"He can play anywhere, he's that good" -Maddon

6 hours ago, OhtaniSan said:

I think he's trying to say that if Ohtani is healthy and in the rotation, he should/could play the field on days he isn't pitching. 

And if that's the case I agree, Maddon himself said Ohtani is too talented and athletic to only DH.

Yea if he can pitch then you absolutely do not play him in the field. 

If Ohtani had two successful years as a pitcher, then I could see him trying the field. Or if they were gonna move him to the pen full time. 

He needs to focus on coming back as a pitcher. Then worry about playing a position later on.

22 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I agree with the above.  I think if Ohtani is healthy, he'd be ticketed for ~70-80 innings, but probably not much beyond that, given how little he has pitched the last two years.

I also agree the most likely outcome is he doesn't play the field this year, or if he does, it is very seldom, as they want to ensure his right arm is healthy and able to pitch.  

Given his likely innings limit, I wouldn't expect to see him pitch until sometime mid-May or so, as they try to bring him along slowly and ensure he is 100% healthy.

He has pitched very little last 4 years

9 hours ago, OhtaniSan said:

I'm saying that and also if he cannot pitch (very little last 4 years) he will not just be a DH. He can play in the field and OF best option. You can play in field and not be able to pitch. Stress on arm as a pitcher totally different from playing OF.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

He has only been on the Angels for 3 years and went through Tommy John Surgery which requires up to 12-18 months recovery. At this point I think it's safe to say you are an imbecile.

Last year in Japan 25 inn. so 3 with years Angels and 1 with Japan. 3 plus 1 is FOUR. You support my argument showing how little he has pitched in last FOUR years due to arm injuries. No guarantee he can pitch at same level again, I hope he can be huge help for pitching staff. All I'm saying is if he cannot return to mound Angels will find a position for him and not use him just as a DH. 

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

He has only been on the Angels for 3 years and went through Tommy John Surgery which requires up to 12-18 months recovery. At this point I think it's safe to say you are an imbecile.

Ohtani had TJS Oct 1, 1918 returned to mound July 2020 so 22 months after TJS and what happened more arm problems. So as an organization the Angels have to be thinking what to do with Ohtani if he can not pitch again. With all his talent he will not just be a DH. So it's safe to say RF will be an option.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:40 PM, Erstad Grit said:

I know it's risky but I'd sign puig. Perhaps being out of the game for a year has humbled him and showed him how quickly it can go away.  Dude can play and has done so in high stressful playoff situations

I would be in favor of inviting him to spring training if no one picks him up, and see what he still has.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan