• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Right Field Options for the Angels

BTH

21 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

How about Joc Pederson as he can play all 3 OF position, but has to be 1 year deal at 6 mill or less. Grossman I like, but we have Schbeler.... No to Puig, and Schwarber. Ward and Grossman be nice pairing until Adell and Marsh ready. Maybe we trade one for Snell (plus others to Rays).

Pederson would be ideal, but he's likely gonna cost more than 1/$6M.

Who really give a flying *uck about RF. Put Fletcher out there.  Marsh is good enough and maybe better than you might think.  STARTING PITCHING. Focus Angels on SP. RFer don't win pennants. SPing  does. I wonder who has more trade value, Adell or Marsh? I like Marsh. I would trade both of them for SPing.     

48 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I like Kiki Hernandez and Dahl. It’s gonna be a low cost guy who can play multiple positions.

I think at this point, we need a LHH who can play RF to help balance things out.  This lineup is fairly RHH.  In terms of LHH, we currently have Walsh and Ohtani, but not much beyond that.

Pederson would be great.  We'll see what the cost is, but if he can be had at like a 2/12-14 type deal, then it should be something to consider, as he has played both RF/LF and absolutely crushes RHP.

Or who knows, maybe Schebler will turn out to be that guy for us.

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

With Rasiel in the fold, the Angels still probably need 1-2 relievers. Maybe they acquire one by trade, but the other will still cost ~$5M.

They also need a platoon catcher. Figure $2-6M.

Then, of course, there's the big one: SP. Either they go Bauer for $25-30M or hope for the best with what they have, or they get two cheaper options for $20-30M.

So before a RF, they need to spend $27-41M. That doesn't leave much (if anything) left. I figure they'll get a tier 4-5 guy for $2-4M.

This^^.  Im fine with them going lower tier for RF and slotting the remaining dollars on their more pressing needs.  Priorities.

Tier 1 is out, we have too many other needs.
I like the Springer idea but if we do that were dumpster diving on pitchers again, then again that might be moot.
WE likely cant afford the one guy we need with our budget so unless Arte is prepared to blow the budget for a year, which is exactly what i think he should do, then Bauer wont happen and the rest of this class isnt worth ace money so maybe the move is again to go offense and tier 2/3 arms. 
Pederson is my pick due to his flexibility.   Can even play some 1B.   If not that id take a flyer on Puig.   The rest dont impress me enough to think they would be that much better than our current in house options might be.

My goal in RF this year is to find or develop someone productive that acts as a bridge to the Adell-Marsh-Adams era, but doesn't require a long term commitment, and could be shifted or dealt in the event that Ward or one of the prospects makes a developmental leap forward.

Personally, the way I see it, Jo Adell is NOT a RF. I'm not alone in saying that he looked very uncomfortable out there, and while Trout isn't amazing in CF like he used to be, he's still firmly above average and miles better than Adell. Jo needs time to develop and then take over for Upton in LF. That might take a year, maybe even two. 

Brandon Marsh is an excellent defensive RF. The one area of his game that still needs to develop is his ability to punish mistake pitches. He's better  at making contact, has shown a discerning eye at the plate, but despite all the physical prowess and strength, he's not a dangerous bat in the lineup. But it's beginning to come along, Salt Lake will do wonders for him, and power is typically the last tool to develop, it certainly was with Trout. Marsh needs maybe a month at minimum and two years max to be ready. If say in reality, he'll be ready late 2021. 

Adams is the CF of the future if he isn't traded. At minimum, he'll be ready to start 2022, at the latest, 2024, three more years. Realistic expectation would be 2023, two years from now, so he really doesn't factor into immediate plans, but could eventually push Trout to LF, which could leave Adell without a defensive home. 

I think the perfect candidate would be someone that's good enough to start, but could move into a platoon bat out 4th OF role, but won't cost as much as Joc Peterson. 

David Dahl and Jackie Bradley immediately come to mind.

Outside the box option, Cesar Hernandez to play 2B and slide Fletcher out to RF.

19 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Outside the box option, Cesar Hernandez to play 2B and slide Fletcher out to RF.

That could be an option, but Fletcher is also very good defensively at 2B and doesn't have a ton of experience in RF. They could likely get one of the tier 3 outfielders for a price similar to or cheaper than Hernandez.

5 hours ago, Rollinghard said:

Who really give a flying *uck about RF. Put Fletcher out there.  Marsh is good enough and maybe better than you might think.  STARTING PITCHING. Focus Angels on SP. RFer don't win pennants. SPing  does. I wonder who has more trade value, Adell or Marsh? I like Marsh. I would trade both of them for SPing.     

does it freak you out to have more than one browser window open at a time?  

dude isn't toting around a stack of encyclopedias going to GM's houses door to door.  I'm pretty sure Minasian and his team can multi-task without a problem.  

It seems like Bauer is a primary target and will shape whatever else happens with the rotation and bullpen (and to a lesser degree what other moves are made) so why not kick tires on all other aspects of the market and have plans B, C, D, etc. in play and ready to roll contingent on other moves.  

And yes, starting pitching is obviously a priority, but leaving RF to float in the breeze is a mistake.  RFers don't win championships but neither does SP by itself.  Really good and complete teams with few, if any, major weaknesses put them in a position to win championships.  

I am quite sure that Perry Minasian is acutely aware of the team's need for pitching.  

From 2nd base, "Jo Adell is NOT a RF."

Then what is he? DH? (LOL) 1st base?  LF? I know what he is....tradable.

Think the Angels should be spending their money and time on SP. Would not spend money (or time) on RF. You could put Mookie Betts out there and we would still not win a pennant. Between March and Fletcher RF is covered. If somehow the Angels got Bauer and Snell we could put Jo Adell (NOT a RF) in RF and still win a pennant.  

44 minutes ago, Rollinghard said:

From 2nd base, "Jo Adell is NOT a RF."

Then what is he? DH? (LOL) 1st base?  LF? I know what he is....tradable.

Think the Angels should be spending their money and time on SP. Would not spend money (or time) on RF. You could put Mookie Betts out there and we would still not win a pennant. Between March and Fletcher RF is covered. If somehow the Angels got Bauer and Snell we could put Jo Adell (NOT a RF) in RF and still win a pennant.  

Did you watch him try to play RF last year? 

• Chuck changed the title to Right Field Options for the Angels

Despite his 2020 performance, I think you have to plan on getting someone for RF who can be productive, but can also be replaced fairly painlessly if Adell or Marsh merits a shot - unless of course they’re traded.

Someone like Robbie Grossman, Brian Goodwin, or Hunter Renfroe that could shift to a 4th OF role.

Guys like Joc or Dahl are going to be looking for places where they can play full-time without looking over their shoulder at a Top 10/Top 100 prospect breathing on their neck. At this point in their careers, struggling and being replaced by a rookie could really ding their prime years and earnings. Easier to go where they will have more security.

Of course all that changes if Adell or Marsh are traded. 

10 hours ago, Second Base said:

My goal in RF this year is to find or develop someone productive that acts as a bridge to the Adell-Marsh-Adams era, but doesn't require a long term commitment, and could be shifted or dealt in the event that Ward or one of the prospects makes a developmental leap forward.

Wait, are you Perry Minasian?

Personally, the way I see it, Jo Adell is NOT a RF. I'm not alone in saying that he looked very uncomfortable out there, and while Trout isn't amazing in CF like he used to be, he's still firmly above average and miles better than Adell. Jo needs time to develop and then take over for Upton in LF. That might take a year, maybe even two. 

Brandon Marsh is an excellent defensive RF. The one area of his game that still needs to develop is his ability to punish mistake pitches. He's better  at making contact, has shown a discerning eye at the plate, but despite all the physical prowess and strength, he's not a dangerous bat in the lineup. But it's beginning to come along, Salt Lake will do wonders for him, and power is typically the last tool to develop, it certainly was with Trout. Marsh needs maybe a month at minimum and two years max to be ready. If say in reality, he'll be ready late 2021. 

On a serious note, I think Marsh may get a quicker call-up than Adell. I highly doubt he needs two years, though. He'll be ready for the bigs this year, and should be pencilled in for a starting gig by spring 2022 at the latest. 

Adams is the CF of the future if he isn't traded. At minimum, he'll be ready to start 2022, at the latest, 2024, three more years. Realistic expectation would be 2023, two years from now, so he really doesn't factor into immediate plans, but could eventually push Trout to LF, which could leave Adell without a defensive home. 

I think the perfect candidate would be someone that's good enough to start, but could move into a platoon bat out 4th OF role, but won't cost as much as Joc Peterson. 

David Dahl and Jackie Bradley immediately come to mind.

I agree that Trout's move to LF will occur when Adams is up and comfortable. He'll get a cup in late 2022, I think, and be ready by early 2023.

All that said, within the next year I expect one of Marsh, Adell, or Adams to be traded. There just isn't room for all three, even once Upton is gone. Unless, of course, they transition Marsh to 1B, but then you're losing a chunk of his value.

Similarly with Fletcher: he's a borderline star at 2B, but in RF he'd be a decent starter. Keep him at 2B, where he's an above average hitter playing elite defense.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Minasian's priority to retain budget flexibility in his pursuit of starting pitching, which infers that the likelihood of seeing a signing for Pederson or Bradley money is low until after he has the SP piece(s) in place.  If he acquires a RF before front end SP(s), I expect it will be through trade, or a low-cost, lower-tier FA.

i'd try to sign pederson first. he's versatile enough that he can play all three OF positions, and that could be very useful down the road.

we're assuming that whoever we sign is just going to be a place holder for one year until adell/marsh can take over full time. i wouldn't spend a ton of cash on that player unless they can play multiple positions. 

i'd also be willing to take a look at puig and goodwin.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Wait, are you Perry Minasian?

On a serious note, I think Marsh may get a quicker call-up than Adell. I highly doubt he needs two years, though. He'll be ready for the bigs this year, and should be pencilled in for a starting gig by spring 2022 at the latest. 

I agree that Trout's move to LF will occur when Adams is up and comfortable. He'll get a cup in late 2022, I think, and be ready by early 2023.

All that said, within the next year I expect one of Marsh, Adell, or Adams to be traded. There just isn't room for all three, even once Upton is gone. Unless, of course, they transition Marsh to 1B, but then you're losing a chunk of his value.

Similarly with Fletcher: he's a borderline star at 2B, but in RF he'd be a decent starter. Keep him at 2B, where he's an above average hitter playing elite defense.

Marsh was always more polished than Adell. I still find it perplexing they even promoted Jo last year. I'm glad he got the experience but he was an unguided missile. Trout at 19 looked miles ahead of Adell at 21.

It should've been Marsh. Or rather, it should've been neither. There's no part of me that believes for a single moment that Brandon Marsh had more to gain from the alternate site than Jo Adell did. Marsh has needed to work on punishing mistake pitches and letting his God given talent take over and Adell needed to work on his defense. He's plenty fast but his arm, his gloves, the instincts, it was all missing.

I'd like to see them both get time to develop and come up together the next time we decide to promote either of them.

But I think you alluded to a question that's been on my mind and likely others for a bit now. If you had to trade one of our three outfield prospects, which would it be? Adell carries the highest upside, Marsh provides the least variability in his outcome, and Adams seems to strike a balance between the two. He won't be as strong as Adell or Marsh, but he'll access some of that power more consistently than Marsh. But he's faster than both Adell and Marsh and plays better D. He doesn't show Marsh's level of pitch identification and discipline, but he does show more than Adell. But he's also the furthest away and hasn't had his big breakout yet, which I suspect he would've had last year at Inland Empire.