• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

The longer the offseason continues, the more Realmuto (or Contreras) becomes a possibility I would think. 

Atlanta signed both Ozuna and Donaldson when they had good, young, cheap internal options already and both paid dividends. I don’t see Reamuto signing a one-year deal like they did, but currently there doesn’t seem to be many teams that are both spending big money and seeking impact catching. That creates a scenario similar to that which led Ozuna and Donaldson to Atlanta when they were opportunistic. It’s not the exact same, but it does seem plausible. 

I completely agree the focus should be pitching, and Realmuto is ‘overrated’ a bit in my mind, and I’ve offered data before about how treacherous catchers can be after 30, but it leads me to my next point...

We are basically Angels fans with an indefinite/endless view of the team’s playoff hopes. We’re here for life. Minasian isn’t. His focus is measured in only a couple years. Does it make sense to us to sign a catcher to a 5/$125m deal? No. It likely backfires and becomes the next Pujols/Upton headache in three years. Does it help Minasian achieve his likely primary objective of competing the next 2-3 years, aligning with Trout and Rendon’s peak, Ohtani’s control, expiring Pujols and Upton, and uncertain division frontrunners? Almost certainly less. And they still would have the trade capital to land at least one solid SP to work within the budget, and likely the ability to at least sign one value/mid-tier SP as well. And that might be enough. And they’ll have flexibility the next two offseasons with Upton and Pujols coming off as well.

Minasian can view a Realmuto contract as something he will just have to work around, fully aware of the risk, whereas we probably see it as something that handicaps us for years. 

Edited by totdprods

14 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

there's no way they're adding that much in payroll.  That's like 40m+.  not gonna happen

so yeah.  any combo of adding 40m in payroll for 2021 is better than adding 20m.  

I think some of us have been looking at the offseason in terms of what is realistic for this team to accomplish while others have the idea that everything is possible. Sure we don't really know what our exact limitations are but dropping another $50 mil seems unlikely.

Andrew Benintendi is expected to be dealt before next week. I wonder if the Angels are in on that action.

Short term acquisition that buys time for the prospects to develop. Coming off a couple disappointing seasons which should knock the price down, but many collectively believe there's another level he can reach. 

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Andrew Benintendi is expected to be dealt before next week. I wonder if the Angels are in on that action.

Short term acquisition that buys time for the prospects to develop. Coming off a couple disappointing seasons which should knock the price down, but many collectively believe there's another level he can reach. 

Hasn’t played any RF professionally...can’t seen them moving Trout or Upton there or putting a potential question mark defensively when Minasian has stressed it so much...otherwise I would agree.

Think I saw the Red Sox were seeking MLB-ready SP depth, so even more difficult to see a match. 

Edited by totdprods

52 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'd rather have Goodwin in that role.  

59 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The Red Sox reportedly want MLB ready starting pitching back for Beinteindi. While the Angels don't have a ton of that and need that themselves, Beintendi's value isn't super high. So I wonder if Barria or Sandoval would be an option. The question is 1: would the Angels want to give either of them up for Benintendi? and 2: would the Red Sox want them?

11 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The Red Sox reportedly want MLB ready starting pitching back for Beinteindi. While the Angels don't have a ton of that and need that themselves, Beintendi's value isn't super high. So I wonder if Barria or Sandoval would be an option. The question is 1: would the Angels want to give either of them up for Benintendi? and 2: would the Red Sox want them?

Barria and a prospect that's not in our top 20.

No way am I giving up Sandoval.

7 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

How are you all advocating trading SP for outfield help?

Barria kinda makes sense because he's out of options and will be the odd man out if we add 2 starters.

I have no clue why these turds are saying they'd give up Sandoval. He has two option years left and much higher upside. Sandoval has an extra year of control, as well.

36 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d give up Sandoval for Benitendi.  I like his potential. 

What do you like?  He's a physically maxed out OFer that has basically stagnated if not regressed IMO.. 

I was a fan of his going into the draft but he's looked spent at times since 2019.  Maybe he's a change of scenery guy but more and more he looks like a guy that benefited from funny baseballs, particularly given his mediocre results .vs fastballs.

Outside of the AL East my guess is he'd struggle to put up Kole Calhoun numbers.

12 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

How are you all advocating trading SP for outfield help?

If the Angels adequately fill their needs, Barria/Sandoval would be on the outside of the rotation.

Depth is good, but Barria is out of options and Sandoval hasn't shown he can go multiple innings yet. So I think there would be a willingness to move either in the right deal, provided they add other starters.