• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Would that that remove any incentive SD has to extend him at all? The whole point is they're paying extra for the early years in order to secure him through his prime. Opt outs really don't make sense where the majority of the long term contract is covering team-controlled seasons. 

That's why I included a couple FA years before the opt out

I’m sorry I’m pissed at a-woman that refused to acknowledge I could go 20 minutes from here (according to Uber) and get blown by a woman half her age.  Thing is I have feelings for her.  Whatever.

But couldn’t Arte just have stood and and gotten Carrosco and Lindor and gone to the playoffs.  There’s a good chance that would have happened

37 minutes ago, Revad said:

I’m sorry I’m pissed at a-woman that refused to acknowledge I could go 20 minutes from here (according to Uber) and get blown by a woman half her age.  Thing is I have feelings for her.  Whatever.

But couldn’t Arte just have stood and and gotten Carrosco and Lindor and gone to the playoffs.  There’s a good chance that would have happened

Perhaps because they've already signed a SS and Carrasco has leukemia.  Or maybe Arte has been taking a lot of 20 minute Uber trips.

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

I know several people that used to work in the Angels front office, and still work with other organizations, either in scouting, analytics or even finance. Not a single one of them maintains a Twitter account, and there's no upside to them breaking a story about their own organization, or leaking into to the press. 

The really good guys, Passan and Rosenthal, have connections across the board and have not reached the point where they don't report a lot of what they hear because it's irresponsible journalism. Their connections are either GM's themselves, or agents. They don't bother with trusting the kid in the video basement, so to speak, anymore. They've moved past that. They have ethics. Heyman doesn't. No one likes that dude.

Another good up and comer is Chris Cotillo. 

When Rosenthal reported the Angels and Contreras connections, it's highly likely because it's true. There probably have been ongoing discussions.

But this DOM account, let's pretend he does have insider information for a moment. If it's leaked, how long do you think his contact will be able to remain anonymous and continue to feed him information? 

I really wouldn't take him seriously.

i'm not invested either way. i was just highlighting some of the many ways non-journalists could have "inside" accurate information in this era where everybody has a voice to reaching the masses.

i don't necessarily agree that sports journalists have learned to be more responsible in their reporting. i haven't noticed any change in that regard, but i have noticed that they are sure to share credit with eachother in this twitter age. "blah.blah.blah. as first reported by @????? and @??????, the angels are interested in blah, blah, blah."

i doubt that's done in altruism or professional respect. i think it's more the fact that the tweeting is time stamped, and you have to if you report it after another already has.

4 hours ago, ukyah said:

i'm not invested either way. i was just highlighting some of the many ways non-journalists could have "inside" accurate information in this era where everybody has a voice to reaching the masses.

i don't necessarily agree that sports journalists have learned to be more responsible in their reporting. i haven't noticed any change in that regard, but i have noticed that they are sure to share credit with eachother in this twitter age. "blah.blah.blah. as first reported by @????? and @??????, the angels are interested in blah, blah, blah."

i doubt that's done in altruism or professional respect. i think it's more the fact that the tweeting is time stamped, and you have to if you report it after another already has.

For the majority, yes. I was more specifically talking about Passan and Rosenthal as being the most trustworthy source outside of the beat reporters.

11 hours ago, Cosmo_Kramer said:

That's why I included a couple FA years before the opt out

I don't think we're connecting here.  What I'm saying is that SD is guaranteeing him money a decade in advance and giving him financial security in exchange for something. Opt outs would give them zero incentive. Two years extra does jack for them.

He has very good reason to agree to a 10-11 year deal without opt outs, while they have no reason at all to agree to one with them. 

4 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I don't think we're connecting here.  What I'm saying is that SD is guaranteeing him money a decade in advance and giving him financial security in exchange for something. Opt outs would give them zero incentive. Two years extra does jack for them.

He has very good reason to agree to a 10-11 year deal without opt outs, while they have no reason at all to agree to one with them. 

Stanton's extension had an opt out after 6/107, with 7/218 remaining.

My sample contract with opt out would have been 6/120, with 5/200 remaining.

But go on about how it's unreasonable..

15 minutes ago, Cosmo_Kramer said:

Stanton's extension had an opt out after 6/107, with 7/218 remaining.

My sample contract with opt out would have been 6/120, with 5/200 remaining.

But go on about how it's unreasonable..

We'll see who is right whenever it is finalized. But the Stanton comparison doesn't really fit. Dude was 25 when he signed his extension and had fewer team controlled seasons and signed for longer. 

25 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

We'll see who is right whenever it is finalized. But the Stanton comparison doesn't really fit. Dude was 25 when he signed his extension and had fewer team controlled seasons and signed for longer. 

I'm not predicting an opt out. Just provided a sample contract with one

frank001
7:12
Could Angels be acquiring both C Wilson Contreas and a starting pitcher from Cubs?

Mark P
7:13
It's possible, though after moving Darvish, I'm not sure what other arms the Cubs would want to move.  Maybe flipping Davies is a possibility, though I kind of doubt LAA fans would see Davies as that much of a rotation upgrade.

Blank name
7:54
Seems like it would make sense for the Angels to take on Castellanos in order to get Castillo or Gray from the Reds. This would allow Adell some more time in the minors and then once he's ready, Upton and Castellanos can split time.

Mark P
7:54
Between Upton/Castellanos, that is a heck of lot of money to be invested in two players you aren't planning to deploy every day

DJ LeMahieu is getting fed up by contract negotiations with the New York Yankees and other teams interested in signing the free-agent infielder, a source told Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports.

Clubs looking to add LeMahieu said he wants close to J.D. Martinez's five-year, $110-million pact the slugger signed with the Boston Red Sox in February 2018, according to Brown.

The Yankees are reportedly LeMahieu's preferred destination, but they haven't offered the three-time All-Star what he's looking for.

Due to the contract impasse, the 32-year-old has asked his representatives to re-engage with teams that have expressed interest during the offseason, according to Brown.

That list reportedly includes the Los Angeles Dodgers, Toronto Blue Jays, New York Mets, Atlanta Braves, St. Louis Cardinals, and Red Sox.

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

DJ LeMahieu is getting fed up by contract negotiations with the New York Yankees and other teams interested in signing the free-agent infielder, a source told Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports.

Clubs looking to add LeMahieu said he wants close to J.D. Martinez's five-year, $110-million pact the slugger signed with the Boston Red Sox in February 2018, according to Brown.

The Yankees are reportedly LeMahieu's preferred destination, but they haven't offered the three-time All-Star what he's looking for.

Due to the contract impasse, the 32-year-old has asked his representatives to re-engage with teams that have expressed interest during the offseason, according to Brown.

That list reportedly includes the Los Angeles Dodgers, Toronto Blue Jays, New York Mets, Atlanta Braves, St. Louis Cardinals, and Red Sox.

Stories like this always make me laugh. Perhaps his market isn’t what he wants and he ought to adjust his expectations.