• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

13.5m over four years.  He might not play that 4th year for them and if he doesn't, they don't owe the 15m all at once.  They are paying him 13m per in each of the first three seasons.  It's not 54m + 15m.  

It's a slightly more creative way for the team to give him a 4yr deal yet have a way to defer some cost of the contract should he fall apart by the end.  

For the real and luxury tax payrolls he’s around 13. It’s not 18. I don’t really understand the logic of the full pay option without seeing the exact contract language. 

Rasiel for $8.25 is a bargain. it’s gonna push up the price for Hand, Colome and other closer types like Bradley. 

Sign Jose Alvarez and Justin Wilson. Take a flyer on Blake Parker again? 

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

For the real and luxury tax payrolls he’s around 13. It’s not 18. I don’t really understand the logic of the full pay option without seeing the exact contract language. 

Rasiel for $8.25 is a bargain. it’s gonna push up the price for Hand, Colome and other closer types like Bradley. 

Sign Jose Alvarez and Justin Wilson. Take a flyer on Blake Parker again? 

I thought the money the Feds kicked in essentially knocked Iglesias' price tag down to 6-7 million.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

good night no GIF by Shalita Grant

While I agree we shouldn't count on Ohtani from the mound and temper any enthusiasm with regards to any productivity we may get from him in 2021, he's had enough time off to heal and went through all of his rehab to be fully ready by the start of spring training.

So it's not out of the question he can be a solid contributor from the mound this season. 

I would rather the team sign a couple secondary arms via FA and trade for or sign a C like Realmuto.

Just now, tdawg87 said:

This is gonna rustle some jimmies.

Well Minasian said many times that he's going after starting pitching, but he's also saying the same things now as he did in his introduction presser with regards to run prevention. 

I wonder if they may shift gears and go for Realmuto or trade for Contreras and just sign a couple of mid-tier SP's, while picking up another late inning bullpen arm. 

Realmuto is a top notch defensive catcher who also provides above average offense from the position. 

7 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Well Minasian said many times that he's going after starting pitching, but he's also saying the same things now as he did in his introduction presser with regards to run prevention. 

I wonder if they may shift gears and go for Realmuto or trade for Contreras and just sign a couple of mid-tier SP's, while picking up another late inning bullpen arm. 

Realmuto is a top notch defensive catcher who also provides above average offense from the position. 

Reamuto + musgrove + Odorizzi + another RP might be > Bauer

13 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

While I agree we shouldn't count on Ohtani from the mound and temper any enthusiasm with regards to any productivity we may get from him in 2021, he's had enough time off to heal and went through all of his rehab to be fully ready by the start of spring training.

So it's not out of the question he can be a solid contributor from the mound this season. 

I would rather the team sign a couple secondary arms via FA and trade for or sign a C like Realmuto.

That's fine.  You can call me a Debbie Downer--but as I've said elsewhere, if the team is actually COUNTING on significant contributions from Ohtani as a pitcher, then they're just setting themselves up for disappointment.  I think they should still be building a staff as if he'll pitch zero innings; put together a staff with some flexibility if he is available, but don't count on it.

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

That's fine.  You can call me a Debbie Downer--but as I've said elsewhere, if the team is actually COUNTING on significant contributions from Ohtani as a pitcher, then they're just setting themselves up for disappointment.  I think they should still be building a staff as if he'll pitch zero innings; put together a staff with some flexibility if he is available, but don't count on it.

If pitching every 4th day gives us maybe 38 or so starts out of Bauer and we get 20 out of Ohtani, then you only need 104 starts out of the other three guys, meaning you can almost get by with just Bauer as a free agent option, and count on Barria for the depth spot in the rotation. 

Just now, Hubs said:

If pitching every 4th day gives us maybe 38 or so starts out of Bauer and we get 20 out of Ohtani, then you only need 104 starts out of the other three guys, meaning you can almost get by with just Bauer as a free agent option, and count on Barria for the depth spot in the rotation. 

Again, what evidence does anyone have that Ohtani can start 20 games this season?  Last time he did that was 2016 (21 starts).  I understand your larger point, though--but I am just amazed that people keep talking about Ohtani like this.  I will be extremely happy if he starts 20 (or more!) games.  I'm not HOPING he fails.  I'm just saying that I think it's a fool's game to factor him into planning in any significant way.

17 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Reamuto + musgrove + Odorizzi + another RP might be > Bauer

I think everyone here would be in favor of those moves over just Bauer alone. 

Now if it was say Bauer, a trade for Musgrove or a lesser FA signing like T. Walker & signing a C like Kurt Suzuki I'm all in. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think everyone here would be in favor of those moves over just Bauer alone. 

Now if it was say Bauer, a trade for Musgrove or a lesser FA signing like T. Walker & signing a C like Kurt Suzuki I'm all in. 

Good point 

I'm still starting to think Realmuto + Musgrove + Odorizzi + RP > Bauer + Gio Gonzalez/Walker + Suzuki / Castro

The other thing with regards to giving Realmuto a ton of $$$ is that catchers his age start to see some wear and tear physically when they approach age 30 and was the Max Stassi offensive breakout in 2020 for real or a one hit wonder?

You would hate to give all that money to Realmuto when Stassi turned the corner offensively. 

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

The other thing with regards to giving Realmuto a ton of $$$ is that catchers his age start to see some wear and tear physically when they approach age 30 and was the Max Stassi offensive breakout in 2020 for real or a one hit wonder?

You would hate to give all that money to Realmuto when Stassi turned the corner offensively. 

I agree

Mauer and Posey are examples of elite catchers who fell off the cliff suddenly

I'm mentally preparing for the reality of not getting Bauer and out loud pontificating what other moves could push this team into the playoffs