• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

the last time we had a player pitch 180 innings with an ERA around 4.00 was five years ago.  Quintana is exactly what this rotation needs.  Solid innings.  

I disagree. This rotation needs upside. Like Bauer, Gray, Castillo, etc...

Quintana would be fine as a second acquisition.

4 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm pretty sure Teheran was the Quintana signing of 2020.

I honestly had to go and check on this, because it seems like that was 2019, but you're right.  Don't know if it was the shitshow of everything that happened in the world in 2020 that made me forget, or the shock at just how awful his performance was.  Dude had a 10.05 ERA.  Lol.

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

I disagree. This rotation needs upside. Like Bauer, Gray, Castillo, etc...

Quintana would be fine as a second acquisition.

Yeah, I feel we really need to have that guy we run out there in a Games 1+5 (or 1+4+7) of a playoff series to at least somewhat match the elite aces you see in those situations from other teams.

Although we did run Jarrod Washburn and Kevin Appier out in those situations in 2002, and, well...

6 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm pretty sure Teheran was the Quintana signing of 2020.

Don't care about the peripherals. 

Quintana is fine as the 2nd guy. But if we're going with him and Odorizzi then fuck that.

Equating Quintana to Teheran is pretty Canadian.   They are about as dissimilar as two guys could be. 

The peripherals you're dismissing were the reason to stay away from Teheran.  Both guys had misleading ERAs in Teheran's case the ERA was masking awfulness, with Quintana it's the complete opposite.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I'd rather have Quintana on a one year deal over Odorizzi on a three year deal every day of the week.  

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2020&month=0&season1=2017&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=

fWAR isn't the best judge of pitchers but....  Top 30 SPs using fWAR 2017-2020

25 - Sonny Gray, 27 - Blake Snell, 29 - Yu Dervish, 30 - Quintana.

He's no front line guy but he's been better than people realize.

30 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2020&month=0&season1=2017&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=

fWAR isn't the best judge of pitchers but....  Top 30 SPs using fWAR 2017-2020

25 - Sonny Gray, 27 - Blake Snell, 29 - Yu Dervish, 30 - Quintana.

He's no front line guy but he's been better than people realize.

his peripherals have been pretty stable with the cubs for his time there with a bit of a rise in bb rate and hr rate.  I'm not sure if the data totally backs it up, but Callaway seems very good at helping pitchers keep the ball in the yard.  

Do I want the other pitcher we're hope to add to be better than him?  sure

If Quintana is the best of the two pitchers we get, I won't be horribly disappointed.  

5 hours ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Man, I wish we would have traded for that guy.  His entrance from the bullpen would have blown away Robles'.

yu_dervish.jpg

This may be my favorite Photoshop on here in a long time.  I was so vigilant of my autocorrect trying to change Yu to You, I never considered it might change Darvish, to Dervish...

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Equating Quintana to Teheran is pretty Canadian.   They are about as dissimilar as two guys could be. 

The peripherals you're dismissing were the reason to stay away from Teheran.  Both guys had misleading ERAs in Teheran's case the ERA was masking awfulness, with Quintana it's the complete opposite.

Don't care. 

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

his peripherals have been pretty stable with the cubs for his time there with a bit of a rise in bb rate and hr rate.  I'm not sure if the data totally backs it up, but Callaway seems very good at helping pitchers keep the ball in the yard.  

Do I want the other pitcher we're hope to add to be better than him?  sure

If Quintana is the best of the two pitchers we get, I won't be horribly disappointed.  

He shouldn't be viewed as plan A, but people thinking Odorizzi is something to get excited about while Quintana is garbage just haven't looked at the numbers.

We’re setting ourselves up for disappointment because expectations (fantasy?) is out of line with reality.  Kind of like when I want a real live woman but she’s tired, doesn’t feel sexy, doesn’t actually like sex in the first place, and didn’t shave her legs.  But at the end no matter how stupid is I’ll still be looking for an ace chick.

When the authorities come snooping around here asking about a certain poster, I won’t be one of those people who say “I had I idea he was capable of such things...” I’ll be the guy who says “Hell yes, I knew there was something off about that guy.”

3 minutes ago, T.G. said:

When the authorities come snooping around here asking about a certain poster, I won’t be one of those people who say “I had I idea he was capable of such things...” I’ll be the guy who says “Hell yes, I knew there was something off about that guy.”

First of all he was an Angels fan and regular poster on AW.  He knew he was more than a little misunderstood.