• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Morosi: Names emerge in Angels GM search

mmc

Sources tell MLB.com that the following assistant general managers or team vice presidents (in alphabetical order) have been part of the Angels’ internal discussions.

• Josh Byrnes, Dodgers

• Jason McLeod, Cubs

• Billy Owens, Athletics

• Jared Porter, D-backs

• Scott Sharp, Royals

• Logan White, Padres

Byrnes and White are the most familiar names.  Both were in the Dodgers org, IIRC.  In any case, someone is coming in to a pretty good situation.  

The new guy will also have the 9th selection in the first round of the entry draft next year. From there, we should be able to add another polished power arm.  

Michael Hill is the PERFECT candidate for this position. He's still relatively young, in his 40's, with over 10 years of GM/president experience. He built weave after wave of strong Marlins teams only to be undercut by a cheap and middling owner of that makes Arte Moreno look like a saint. 

Imagine what this guy can do with an actual decent sized budget. He might be one off the best GM's in baseball and many people don't realize it.

15 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Michael Hill is the PERFECT candidate for this position. He's still relatively young, in his 40's, with over 10 years of GM/president experience. He built weave after wave of strong Marlins teams only to be undercut by a cheap and middling owner of that makes Arte Moreno look like a saint. 

Imagine what this guy can do with an actual decent sized budget. He might be one off the best GM's in baseball and many people don't realize it.

Hmm, this sounds kinda Dipotoey.

20 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The next GM is going to have to navigate a lot of changes in the new CBA and have to look three years down when the current roster of cheap in house becomes either late stage Arb candidates or free agents. With luck he will have guys like Adell and Marsh to replace Upton and some of the arms will develop to shore up pitching but Hill is not going to get a budget like Dipoto did walking through the door and conversely not the clusterfuck Eppler walked into.

He is probably going to have to stay in budget parts and pieces and farm development with one mid to top free agent each year and a prospect or two worth dangling in trade. Not perfect but not a bad scenario. 

7 hours ago, totdprods said:

Good to see. Makes me wonder if all the Dombrowski talk plus this actually does mean they’re more open to a President and GM model. Have a GM who is heavily focused in developing internally and a President capable of pulling trigger on larger moves and guiding strategy. 

Either that or Dombrowski wasn’t seriously considered or said no....

7 hours ago, totdprods said:

Good to see. Makes me wonder if all the Dombrowski talk plus this actually does mean they’re more open to a President and GM model. Have a GM who is heavily focused in developing internally and a President capable of pulling trigger on larger moves and guiding strategy. 

I actually think this news makes it less likely that they go with that model. I don't think it will be Dombrowski and one of these guys, but instead just one of these guys.

As much as Arte may want Dombrowski, having input in baseball ops seems like a priority for Arte. Dombrowski isn't gonna take the job unless Arte stays away, and I don't think Arte is going to do that. So that means Arte will just hire another first time GM who Arte can interfere with.

I get the impression that Arte is just gonna interfere with baseball ops, and fans unfortunately have to accept that fact. That means he isn't gonna hire an experienced GM because those guys won't want to take a job where they get interfered with. 

It also means that the best person they can hire is someone who is good at scouting and player development. All of these guys seem to fit that mold.

Arte's gonna call the shots on all the big free agent signings, and the GM will be left to make good scouting and development decisions, so they might as well get someone who excels in that area.

44 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The next GM is going to have to navigate a lot of changes in the new CBA and have to look three years down when the current roster of cheap in house becomes either late stage Arb candidates or free agents. With luck he will have guys like Adell and Marsh to replace Upton and some of the arms will develop to shore up pitching but Hill is not going to get a budget like Dipoto did walking through the door and conversely not the clusterfuck Eppler walked into.

He is probably going to have to stay in budget parts and pieces and farm development with one mid to top free agent each year and a prospect or two worth dangling in trade. Not perfect but not a bad scenario. 

Foreseeably, I don't envision any Angels GM ever having reign to spend like Dipoto did. I think that's why every name that's popping up is someone with success in drafting, signing and developing players. The Angels need someone with the long term vision and ability to communicate like Eppler coupled with the short term ability to produce a winner. 

Sure, it'll be great when that money from Albert's contract is freed up, but through arbitration and free agency, our players will get more expensive and the only way to offset those costs is to develop your own talent. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

He built an outfield of ozuna, yelich, and Stanton so I'm down.  

6 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

He built an outfield of ozuna, yelich, and Stanton so I'm down.  

Yeah, and you have to figure developing an OF will be the least of his worries with Trout, Adell, Marsh, Adams, Ward and Upton. 

More importantly, he recently developed rotation pieces that include Zac Gallen, Caleb Smith, Sixto Sanchez and Sandy Alcantara. I'm not a big fan of the Gallen trade but getting Chisolm, a legit premier defensive shortstop with annual 20-20 ability is a solid return.

I'll just copy/paste how I feel from the other thread

This new GM pick will be telling if Arte wants someone who can build a successful franchise from top to bottom or another lapdog GM.
If it's another younger first time GM that is looking to get his foot in the door, then I think there should be some reason for concern.

I suspect most seasoned GMs/Presidents with successful resumes probably want full control of baseball operations.