• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Morosi: Names emerge in Angels GM search

mmc

Process driven is what we had with Eppler. 

Unless we are planning on winning when Trout is 36, we need a President of Baseball Ops who can make the big trades/splashes to get it going. 

Having a GM like Hill will work with developing a farm, but again, that's 4+ years out of real competition. 

It will be hard, but they need a strong GM to build the farm/international scouting/player development AND a President who can land those big names/trades when the time comes. 

Angels..... No more of this GM thing with no baseball ops President. Get people with experience. 

On 10/18/2020 at 2:31 AM, ukyah said:

this is a surprisingly good list. there are several names here that i'd be pretty happy and enthused about.

Agreed.

Of course, the part I'm unclear on - are any of them actually interested in the job?  

I mean, I'd like the job of being a kept man by Charlize Theron, but I'm becoming suspicious the feeling isn't mutual (I'm told a restraining order is a bad sign 😉 )

The Dodgers and Rays are in the WS.  The Dodgers are an incredible juggernaut that will be great for a long time, and the Rays are always very good despite having no payroll and having to compete against the Yankees and Red Sox yearly.

Please, Arte, hire someone from these teams.  They clearly know the right way to build a team.  Andrew Friedman's "tree" is incredible and the clear solution, IMO.

You guys talk about "process" like it's exclusive to guys who value and use analytics. Old school guys can be process oriented too... 

And I'm not saying this organization needs or will hire an old school guy...

It's more about how they go about their process that's key. Do they have a plan? Are they proactive or reactive?  Etc., etc.

19 hours ago, Second Base said:

Foreseeably, I don't envision any Angels GM ever having reign to spend like Dipoto did. I think that's why every name that's popping up is someone with success in drafting, signing and developing players. The Angels need someone with the long term vision and ability to communicate like Eppler coupled with the short term ability to produce a winner. 

Sure, it'll be great when that money from Albert's contract is freed up, but through arbitration and free agency, our players will get more expensive and the only way to offset those costs is to develop your own talent. 

Eppler has spent more money than Dipoto I don’t understand this argument. Trout. Rendon. Upton. Much more than Albert Hamilton and Wilson. 

31 minutes ago, True Grich said:

You guys talk about "process" like it's exclusive to guys who value and use analytics. Old school guys can be process oriented too... 

And I'm not saying this organization needs or will hire an old school guy...

It's more about how they go about their process that's key. Do they have a plan? Are they proactive or reactive?  Etc., etc.

Additionally these guys who talk about player development taking years and years assume that the players we have in the minors now are shitty players that won’t benefit from the player development improvement.  

2 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Eppler has spent more money than Dipoto I don’t understand this argument. Trout. Rendon. Upton. Much more than Albert Hamilton and Wilson. 

On extending players that were already performing in Anaheim (with the exception of Rendon). They were also shorter term deals, or deals that would expire while players are still physically capable. Considerably less risk.

Albert's deal concludes a couple years into his 40's, Hamilton's was based on numbers he put up in Texas, and part of a clubhouse that was vastly different than the Angels, and Wilson.....well I still argue that Wilson was a smart move. I'd have made that decision to sign him too.

Point being, while money is money, the work that Eppler put vast sums towards were much smarter than anything Dipoto did.

5 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Yeah lets bring in a guy, Who's team, outside of 2020, had not made the playoffs in the past 17 years, a team outside of 2020, that had sub-500 team for the past 7 or 8 years. Yeah no thank You to Micheal hill! 

You have to look at the body of work. Not winning with a Jeffrey Loria-owned team is hardly an indictment. A lot of the players he brought in left as free agents or were traded and became a big deal somewhere else.

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

On extending players that were already performing in Anaheim (with the exception of Rendon). They were also shorter term deals, or deals that would expire while players are still physically capable. Considerably less risk.

Albert's deal concludes a couple years into his 40's, Hamilton's was based on numbers he put up in Texas, and part of a clubhouse that was vastly different than the Angels, and Wilson.....well I still argue that Wilson was a smart move. I'd have made that decision to sign him too.

Point being, while money is money, the work that Eppler put vast sums towards were much smarter than anything Dipoto did.

Sure maybe they were smarter deals maybe they weren't fact is Eppler spent much more money than Dipoto did in free agency. I would bet that wins per million spent Dipoto comes out on top on that chart for the Angels. 

30 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Sure maybe they were smarter deals maybe they weren't fact is Eppler spent much more money than Dipoto did in free agency. I would bet that wins per million spent Dipoto comes out on top on that chart for the Angels. 

No, chance the wins per million favors Dipoto.   Dipoto is still getting loses on Albert. So every loss on Eppler for Upton and Rendon, Dipoto is still getting those losses based on Albert. Every loss through 2017 with money going to Albert and Hamilton  is on Dipoto if that how you want to grade this. In free agency Dipoto spent $450 plus million on Wilson, Albert and Hamilton.  Eppler spent $330 million on Upton and Rendon.   Plus all his ugly 1 year pitching contracts. 

8 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Process driven is what we had with Eppler. 

Unless we are planning on winning when Trout is 36, we need a President of Baseball Ops who can make the big trades/splashes to get it going. 

Having a GM like Hill will work with developing a farm, but again, that's 4+ years out of real competition. 

It will be hard, but they need a strong GM to build the farm/international scouting/player development AND a President who can land those big names/trades when the time comes. 

Angels..... No more of this GM thing with no baseball ops President. Get people with experience. 

Just because Eppler was process-oriented and didn’t succeed, doesn’t mean it’s not what the organization still wants in a GM or philosophy.

I was one of Eppler’s strongest proponents on the board, but even I can acknowledge that the consistently poor results on short-term vets, year in and year out, over his tenure were enough to justify a change in direction. It’s ironic too, because those players were sort of his calling card with the Yankees. Virtually every single veteran he brought in failed. Virtually every offensive addition failed, until Goodwin, La Stella, and Ohtani, and now Rendon. 

I think he was terrific at building the farm, instituting some structure and semblance or philosophy throughout all ranks of the organization, and was particularly great at finding gems in minor deals, but that track record with stopgap vets was way too much. 

Would not be surprised if Eppler and the Angels both ultimately wind up better off because of this. He will hopefully one day get some credit for all the work he did here, giving the next administration a great ground floor, and he’ll hopefully take his successes and failures here and learn from them and put it all together elsewhere. Hopefully not the AL, and more so not the AL West. 

Edited by totdprods

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

No, chance the wins per million favors Dipoto.   Dipoto is still getting loses on Albert. So every loss on Eppler for Upton and Rendon, Dipoto is still getting those losses based on Albert. Every loss through 2017 with money going to Albert and Hamilton  is on Dipoto if that how you want to grade this. In free agency Dipoto spent $450 plus million on Wilson, Albert and Hamilton.  Eppler spent $330 million on Upton and Rendon.   Plus all his ugly 1 year pitching contracts. 

Money spent is money spent whether it's on free agency or in house players. Eppler had spent a lot more money than Dipoto it's reality if you don't want to live in that reality then fine but Upton Trout Rendon pitching acquisitions Cozart etc is money spent by Eppler. I don't have the time nor do I really want to go through how much that costs. But saying Eppler spent less than Dipoto is completely false. 

45 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Money spent is money spent whether it's on free agency or in house players. Eppler had spent a lot more money than Dipoto it's reality if you don't want to live in that reality then fine but Upton Trout Rendon pitching acquisitions Cozart etc is money spent by Eppler. I don't have the time nor do I really want to go through how much that costs. But saying Eppler spent less than Dipoto is completely false. 

I was simply using your words.  You said free agency so I used free agency as my guideline. One took over a good team with a decent farm, the other took over a bad team with a nonexistent farm. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I was simply using your words.  You said free agency so I used free agency as my guideline. One took over a good team with a decent farm, the other took over a bad team with a nonexistent farm. 

In free agency Dipoto spent less than Eppler has in free agency while being the GM of the Angels. With in house people and free agency Eppler spent more money than Dipoto by a large portion. Which ever way you want to slice it Eppler spent more money. It really isn't debatable. 

Dude! I don't care about the one took over a good team this isn't even the argument I am making. The argument was to @Second Base saying Moreno wouldn't trust someone with lots of money and I was saying to HIM that Eppler spent more than Dipoto did as the GM of the Angels. Look at the context of what I was actually saying. I could care less if Dipoto or Eppler took over a bad or great situation that's not anything to this conversation. It's dollars spent plain and simple. End of story. Eppler spent more than Dipoto. 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

In free agency Dipoto spent less than Eppler has in free agency while being the GM of the Angels. With in house people and free agency Eppler spent more money than Dipoto by a large portion. Which ever way you want to slice it Eppler spent more money. It really isn't debatable. 

Dude! I don't care about the one took over a good team this isn't even the argument I am making. The argument was to @Second Base saying Moreno wouldn't trust someone with lots of money and I was saying to HIM that Eppler spent more than Dipoto did as the GM of the Angels. Look at the context of what I was actually saying. I could care less if Dipoto or Eppler took over a bad or great situation that's not anything to this conversation. It's dollars spent plain and simple. End of story. Eppler spent more than Dipoto. 

Oh ok, so it isn’t free agent dollars spent, got it.  

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Eppler has spent more money in free agency than Dipoto as GM of the Angels as well as more money in general than Dipoto did as GM. It's not hard to argue that. 

No, he hasn’t.  Eppler hasn’t spent over $400 million in free agency, Dipoto has.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

No, he hasn’t.  Eppler hasn’t spent over $400 million in free agency, Dipoto has.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

dude.  you are just wrong.  

Rendon, all the pitchers I am not calculating, Cozart, the random guys here and there, Upton remember he opted out. 
And total Eppler has spent much more than Dipoto it's really not an argument. Our payroll is significantly more than it was when Dipoto was our GM. Here is the payroll history of the Angels so you don't have to google. Thanks for playing. 
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/mlb/angels/salaries/2014/team/all/#