• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are We Nasty?

Hubs

One of the things the Angels are missing is a bit of an edge or an attitude. Their rotation doesn’t have a tough type guy that is willing to be the man / the leader . Heaney, Bundy, Canning, and Ohtani are all quiet types.

In the pen, they have Key Middleton and and Robles but neither’s results have been great to back it up. 

In the lineup, Trout and Rendon are quiet, fun guys, Simmons is a calm guy, Fletcher seems hard nosed but respectful, Adell is a rookie and Upton is a low key guy too. Pujols is tough but not like some of the guys we had in the past.

I loved having Frankie and Percy, Weaver and Erstad and Hunter. Since these guys left, they really haven’t had that edge. One thing that 2002 team had and some of the later successful teams had was that edge that fire that current teams lack. They had balance between that and then also guys who were low key and relaxed like Salmon and Anderson to go along with fiery types like Erstad and Fullmer. Worked with the staff too, Washburn and Appier were fiery and So was Percy and Frankie and Weaver, Ortiz was calm as was Haren and that type.

Is all they’re missing right now that attitude that edge?

Who is the team hothead the team tough guy?

11 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think we should worry more about achieving a critical mass of players that don’t suck.  

I think part of the combo isn’t working. They do have good players and they don’t all suck. They had some great years from Simmons and 2017 and 2018 were great from Upton, but they don’t all hit at the same time. 

I think part of that is attitude. Is Trout the leader or is it Pujols? Who’s the leader on the pitching staff? Bullpen? 

I think they need to go get a closer look it’s fire and a rotation guy like Bauer. 

And maybe they look for a tough guy at SS or 2nd.

7 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I think part of that is attitude. Is Trout the leader or is it Pujols? Who’s the leader on the pitching staff? Bullpen? 

I think they need to go get a closer look it’s fire and a rotation guy like Bauer. 

And maybe they look for a tough guy at SS or 2nd.

I agree with you on the attitude and fire part. We could use some more visible passion out there. Too often they just look so passive and blasé.

Are the Angels "nasty?" They have lost two-thirds of their games so far. Worst in the American League, although the Pirates are worse. Their performance reeks of a pile of garbage most of the time. In that sense, they are indeed "nasty." I'm not sure what level of attitude that performance would inspire, but it must be akin to "embarrassed."

41 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

We haven't had a nasty red ass type player since Jered Weaver and Torii Hunter before him. 

Before that we'd have to go way back to the days of Darin Estad. 

Lackey?  Say what you will about the guy but when he wasn't happy everyone knew it and he would throw up and in when opposing teams did it to us. 

3 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Lackey?  Say what you will about the guy but when he wasn't happy everyone knew it and he would throw up and in when opposing teams did it to us. 

lackey and his core group had the whole club on one page. And were good at policing shit.

I know some one here dont like him (and the media story is very one sided), but when Lackey was the honcho, things were definitely different. 

I have thought this recently.  They need a guy or two with an edge.  Preferably one a pitcher and one a position player.  There just aren’t that many these days on the offensive side that have that edge or that chip.  This player should be an everyday player.  So which middle infielder, 1st baseman or catcher fits that bill?  Oh and they can’t suck, so no Upton for Odor nonsense.