• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you have a second MLB team that your root for?

Chuck

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I was at the the Dave Henderson game in 1986 as a 14 year old and cried in car on the way home.  

I was there also. Flew in from Denver where I was working, just for that game. My Dad was an exec at Knotts and had Angels season tickets for 3 decades ( sadly, he died in 2001)
The thing I remember most about that game was how wearily silent everyone walked out of the stadium...It was stunning..
I went to every home game of the 2002 WS....Game 6 was the best baseball game I ever attended...and I cried like a baby after game 7. Still get emotional when I think about it..

1 minute ago, Homebrewer said:

I was there also. Flew in from Denver where I was working, just for that game. My Dad was an exec at Knotts and had Angels season tickets for 3 decades ( sadly, he died in 2001)
The thing I remember most about that game was how wearily silent everyone walked out of the stadium...It was stunning..
I went to every home game of the 2002 WS....Game 6 was the best game I ever attended...and I cried like a baby after game 7. Still get emotional when I think about it..

I'm sorry your dad passed before seeing the halos win it all.  

I remember the entire stadium shaking in 86 like there was a massive earthquake.  You could feel the 300 level vibrating to the point that it actually made me nervous.  100 plus ushers lined the wall between the fans and the field.  

During game 6 of the WS, we were at the dinner for the reception and my dad updated me that is 5-0.  More scotch please.  Then a few minutes later he came over and said that spezio had hit a hr and it was 5-3.  Ok.  time to go watch.  Most of the wedding piled into a room two floors up from the main reception that had an old school big screen tv.  you know the type.  It was on a huge pedestal and you couldn't see it when looking from the side.  The audio was awful.  I shoved my way to the front and before I know it, I turned around and there were over 100 people in a room that was probably fire safe for about 50.  People were bringing chairs from the reception two floors down.  Then Erstad.  Then Salmon and Anderson.  Flashbacks of 86.  I was sure that my heart would be broken once again.     And then Glaus.  I was 1000% sure that Percy would blow the lead in the ninth.  Not because I didn't have confidence in him but because I'm an Angels fan.  

Trying to be objective, I'm not sure there are many WS games better than game 6 of that series.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm sorry your dad passed before seeing the halos win it all.  

I remember the entire stadium shaking in 86 like there was a massive earthquake.  You could feel the 300 level vibrating to the point that it actually made me nervous.  100 plus ushers lined the wall between the fans and the field.  

During game 6 of the WS, we were at the dinner for the reception and my dad updated me that is 5-0.  More scotch please.  Then a few minutes later he came over and said that spezio had hit a hr and it was 5-3.  Ok.  time to go watch.  Most of the wedding piled into a room two floors up from the main reception that had an old school big screen tv.  you know the type.  It was on a huge pedestal and you couldn't see it when looking from the side.  The audio was awful.  I shoved my way to the front and before I know it, I turned around and there were over 100 people in a room that was probably fire safe for about 50.  People were bringing chairs from the reception two floors down.  Then Erstad.  Then Salmon and Anderson.  Flashbacks of 86.  I was sure that my heart would be broken once again.     And then Glaus.  I was 1000% sure that Percy would blow the lead in the ninth.  Not because I didn't have confidence in him but because I'm an Angels fan.  

Trying to be objective, I'm not sure there are many WS games better than game 6 of that series.  

I get that...experiencing 86 and having the Cubs as a second team meant we both knew how tenuous any leads can be in baseball, and how much heartbreak is involved when you follow teams as closely and passionately as we do. 
My GF at the time put her hand on my knee @5-0 and asked if I would be OK... I said "Yeah, I'll be fine....because they will come back and win... like this team has all year"
For once I was right...but I just knew it was going to happen..

This will be weird but it's the Giants...and no, if the Giants won in 2002 I wouldn't have been happy. Other than that, I mostly just root for any of those surprise good teams from year to year/teams like the Angels who haven't won a WS or haven't won one in a long time(minus Rangers and Mariners of course)

I also have a bit of a soft spot for the Blue Jays. Used to casually follow them as a kid since I played for them in little league for a couple years and really loved their logo. Them and the Padres are the 2 fun teams this year so they're the ones I'll be watching in the playoffs

Not from a big sports family but started playing/watching baseball while growing up in OC, so Angels first.  Then around age 10, moved to St. Louis and followed the Cards.  Great baseball town and loved this guy:

c76a00b47f2609261e1f0633c4b18da7--baseba

Moved back to LA/SGV and while I don't really follow the Cards anymore, they are my favorite NL team.

My NL team has always been the Cubs, mainly because Cubs games would be on WGN during the day when I was a kid, and it was a treat on sick days. 

saturday night live snl GIF

It's pretty obvious too if anybody remembers the thread I created about visiting Wrigley Field how much I love the Cubs, but they will always be a distant second to the Angels.

3 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

lol at having a second team. Yet the same people want to tell you how to root for the Angels... can’t even make this crap up.

With that said, my second team for just this year is the Pirates!

Seems like an odd year to pick the Pirates.  What lead to that?  What prospects are you looking at?

Before there was a major league Angels team, Willie Mays and Willie McCovey had my fan's heart. The Angels became my non-Dodgers LA fave and my general overall favorite. But the Giants have always been there. (Except in 2002.)

It could actually have been the Dodgers until they pulled what I thought at the time (and still think) was dirty pool regarding the dad of a, school classmate, Carl Furillo. They could have released him. Instead, under the reserve clause, they forcibly retired him and ended his career.