• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Down to the wire

On 6/12/2020 at 5:24 PM, Stradling said:

They are rejecting it because it’s the same amount of money guaranteed as a 48 game full prorated season. 

Once again.... They moved all the words around and changed the numbers but the end result is the basically the same.   

This comes down to two things.... A - the players will not under any conditions sign off on anything that is tied to revenue because it's a de facto salary cap and  B - the owners know they can force them to play the 48 games.    As always the owners know they don't have to bargain in good faith.  The deal they signed in March has the players pinned down, they are simply going through the motions for PR reasons, their only real effort is to try to make the players look as bad as possible... Meanwhile the union knows they can file a grievance, take them to court, and win later.  This is history repeating itself, almost hilariously so.

If only the guy responsible or protecting MLB actually loved MLB.  This is on Manfred, the biggest joke of a commissioner in decades.  Once a puppet always a puppet.

3 hours ago, Biergott said:

I'd take scab ball at this point.  For sure.  But I wish they could just find middle ground dammit.  I'd take a job right now for half my previous salary.  And both sides here blow their nose with less than that.  Frankly, it's pretty offensive the greed involved right now.  Spoiled brats on both sides.  Cry me a river.  Try living on unemployment, trying to support your family and pay a mortgage, while you apply for the same jobs over and over since nothing is open and hiring.  And you rich aholes are gonna cry about playing a game?  Neither side is coming off looking very good to me.

Do a 50 game WBC season.  Would be more fun to watch at this point.  

3 hours ago, Biergott said:

I'd take scab ball at this point.  For sure.  But I wish they could just find middle ground dammit.  I'd take a job right now for half my previous salary.  And both sides here blow their nose with less than that.  Frankly, it's pretty offensive the greed involved right now.  Spoiled brats on both sides.  Cry me a river.  Try living on unemployment, trying to support your family and pay a mortgage, while you apply for the same jobs over and over since nothing is open and hiring.  And you rich aholes are gonna cry about playing a game?  Neither side is coming off looking very good to me.

THIS !!! 

The more I hear from either side the more disgusted I am.  

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

To me common sense is pay players 100% of a pro-rated salary. They're already taking a pay-cut and they're risking their health with the virus. Owners can potentially sell the suites  or just eat it this year. 

Life is a risk!

These spoiled brats make millions, what about the grocery store worker, what if none of them went to work because they didn't feel safe. Where would the rest of us be?  

25 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Once again.... They moved all the words around and changed the numbers but the end result is the basically the same.   

This comes down to two things.... A - the players will not under any conditions sign off on anything that is tied to revenue because it's a de facto salary cap and  B - the owners know they can force them to play the 48 games.    As always the owners know they don't have to bargain in good faith.  The deal they signed in March has the players pinned down, they are simply going through the motions for PR reasons, their only real effort is to try to make the players look as bad as possible... Meanwhile the union knows they can file a grievance, take them to court, and win later.  This is history repeating itself, almost hilariously so.

If only the guy responsible or protecting MLB actually loved MLB.  This is on Manfred, the biggest joke of a commissioner in decades.  Once a puppet always a puppet.

I think you are correct.  Once again MLB will let down their fans when their fans need it most.  Is there any reason to believe they ever gave a rat’s ass about them?

Just now, DMVol said:

Not sure how anybody can say either side has the better argument....dug in, no real negotiating....

Well there's the fact that one side agreed to a earn less because it was fair given fewer games being played, meanwhile the other side is slated to make the same profit regardless of the number of games played.  Now the side that will make the same amount is trying to take advantage of a loophole to force the other side to honor the March agreement while simultaneously altering the deal so they don't take a hit.

Other than that, no argument at all.

Just now, mtangelsfan said:

I think you are correct.  Once again MLB will let down their fans when their fans need it most.  Is there any reason to believe they ever gave a rat’s ass about them?

Ownership is playing the fans for fools. 

I'm not even really pro player at this point so much as I'm anti bullshit.  The crap the owners are doing is just shady.

None of this is new, which is what blows.

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

They won't. Players are already mocking the proposal on Twitter. One said it was rejected before they hit the send button.

Again, while the owners are being tough in these negotiations the players are becoming assholes. 

They're already making a shit ton of $$$ to play a kids game, meanwhile the owners are standing to lose a ton of money here with no fans in attendance. 

Dumb! 

I’m on the other side. It’s not the players fault that there can’t be fans in the stands at least for most of the games. It’s the owners risk owning a team. Players gave them a prorated salary which they didn’t have to do. And while 60-66% of revenues come from in stadium, they’ll still likely collect the vast majority of revenue from local tv, National tv and radio contracts. The reported revenues were 10.7, but it’s likely more than 15 billion when you add in concessions, merchandise, parking, and other revenues. Players make 4.4 Billion ish down to around 2.1 with 72 games and owners want to pay them 1.6. That’s around 15M per team average, but likely 25M each to higher salaried teams and like 5M to the lower salaried teams. 

32 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Well there's the fact that one side agreed to a earn less because it was fair given fewer games being played, meanwhile the other side is slated to make the same profit regardless of the number of games played.  Now the side that will make the same amount is trying to take advantage of a loophole to force the other side to honor the March agreement while simultaneously altering the deal so they don't take a hit.

Other than that, no argument at all.

Thank you Mr. Clark....and next up we’ll re-read Mr. Halem’s insightful letter.....Can’t make a deal if nobody wants to make a deal...

29 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Ownership is playing the fans for fools. 

I'm not even really pro player at this point so much as I'm anti bullshit.  The crap the owners are doing is just shady.

None of this is new, which is what blows.

The owners thought the pandemic was going to go away like a miracle. At least that’s what they were told. So now they’re just going to have to wait for a vaccine.  

Edited by RendZone

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Thank you Mr. Clark....and next up we’ll re-read Mr. Halem’s insightful letter.....Can’t make a deal if nobody wants to make a deal...

The players have made additional concessions on each subsequent offer. They probably feel like fools. I think there is a good chance the players do not make an additional offer after this one.

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Sure thing Mr Manfred...   You should probably refrain from the childish BS... 

BTW -- about Halem's insipid letter...

https://theathletic.com/1870435/2020/06/12/mlbs-latest-proposal-to-players-comes-with-sharply-worded-letter-marking-ill-will/

Not until the third page does Halem detail what he calls the league’s “Final Counterproposal for 72 games,” in which the players would receive 70 percent of their prorated salaries for the regular season and up to 80 percent if the postseason is completed. The financial guarantee of the offer is the rough equivalent of the guarantee the players would receive if commissioner Rob Manfred exercises his right to impose a season for as few as 48 games at full prorated salary.

Responding to Halem, a PA spokesman said: Mr. Halems self-serving letter is filled with inaccuracies and incomplete facts. We will respond to that and the leagues latest proposal in short order. It should not be forgotten however that even MLB admits that our March Agreement does not require players to agree to further pay cuts. Indeed, as Mr. Halem agreed in a May 18 letter to Tony Clark: ‘The Association is free to take the position that players are unwilling to accept further reductions.’ Pat Houlihan, MLB legal counsel, similarly acknowledged in his May 22 letter to the Players Association. ‘We agree with the Association that, under the Agreement, players are not required to accept less than their full prorated salary.’’

Soooo insightful...   The owners puppet is spewing the owner's rhetoric...    

12 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The players have made additional concessions on each subsequent offer. They probably feel like fools. I think there is a good chance the players do not make an additional offer after this one.

But have you read the letter?  OMG!!!  it's soooo insightful. 

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

But have you read the letter?  OMG!!!  it's soooo insightful. 

In the end the owners are going to make money if they play no matter the details. They are the stewards of the game, it's on them if they don't come up with a deal in which case they will feel the effect on their franchise valuations.