• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stripling: I had no chance to make Dodgers' rotation, Angels trade was win-win​​​​​​​

He posted something implying he was glad it fell through then quickly deleted it https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/ross-stripling-still-a-dodger-angels-trade/1b68g9xqhgbpg1joirdbd0st4v

Would definitely have rather had the deal go through than not but the ahole in me doesn't mind seeing it backfire on him.

7 minutes ago, wopphil said:

We probably got lucky this deal didn’t go through. I am not convinced we will have a season this year, and I would have hated to have lost Rengifo without effectively gaining Pederson. 

Yep. Who knows on stripling, but whats looking like 2 or 3 months of pederson was gonna be a sunk cost essentially.

Still laughing that the dodgers arent gonna get much out of betts... be funny if he signs somewhere else this winter.

Lol, covid.

8 minutes ago, wopphil said:

We probably got lucky this deal didn’t go through. I am not convinced we will have a season this year, and I would have hated to have lost Rengifo without effectively gaining Pederson. 

For me, it’s the other way around. Pederson was secondary to Stripling, a controllable arm....I’d still trade Rengifo for Stripling...

15 hours ago, DMVol said:

For me, it’s the other way around. Pederson was secondary to Stripling, a controllable arm....I’d still trade Rengifo for Stripling...

Yeah, Pederson was a throw in at that point.  Stripling was the big get.

1 hour ago, nate said:

Yeah, Pederson was a throw in at that point.  Stripling was the big get.

He wasn't a throw in as far as the dodgers are concerned. The deal would never have been just Stripling for Rengifo.  Us taking on Pederson's salary was necessary.

19 minutes ago, Lou said:

He wasn't a throw in as far as the dodgers are concerned. The deal would never have been just Stripling for Rengifo.  Us taking on Pederson's salary was necessary.

That is true....made sense both ways....

Just now, floplag said:

Yes, he did post something that was basically glad it didnt happen, and deleted it. 
But i have to say, this was a titanic blunder by Arte, there is no rational reason for him to have killed that deal, zero. 

Yeah no rational reason but ego isn't rational. It seems Arte thought the Dodgers were using the Angels as leverage of some sort and I think it's pretty obvious he doesn't like being the supporting character in someone else's movie. Never mind making the team better.

20 minutes ago, RBM said:

Eppler gets the credit for those two. Rendon was a pivot after Cole chose to sign with the Yankees and Eppler did a great job recruiting Ohtani.

Arte is the reason this deal, that we are discussing in this thread did not happen. 

I'd disagree. I think Arte should get the credit on Rendon and Eppler should not. Arte is the one spending the big dollars on free agency. Eppler is the one working on the middle stuff. If Arte didn't shell out the cash or agreed upon it then Rendon doesn't sign here.

2 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I'd disagree. I think Arte should get the credit on Rendon and Eppler should not. Arte is the one spending the big dollars on free agency. Eppler is the one working on the middle stuff. If Arte didn't shell out the cash or agreed upon it then Rendon doesn't sign here.

That's like saying Bob Iger gets credit for the financial success of the Marvel movies and not Kevin Feige.

6 minutes ago, the14thjoey said:

That's like saying Bob Iger gets credit for the financial success of the Marvel movies and not Kevin Feige.

Not true, they both get credit. If Bob Iger didn't hire Kevin Feige then MCU doesn't happen. But if Arte doesn't give Eppler the salary cap he's given him we don't get Rendon. 

Just now, Kevinb said:

Not true, they both get credit. If Bob Iger didn't hire Kevin Feige then MCU doesn't happen. But if Arte doesn't give Eppler the salary cap he's given him we don't get Rendon. 

I agree with this, but you said Eppler should not get credit. Of course he should get credit along with Arte.

3 minutes ago, the14thjoey said:

I agree with this, but you said Eppler should not get credit. Of course he should get credit along with Arte.

I just meant I think Arte should get more credit then Eppler in terms of the big free agent signings. At the end of the day it is he who opens the pocket books, and spends the money. 

24 minutes ago, the14thjoey said:

Yeah no rational reason but ego isn't rational. It seems Arte thought the Dodgers were using the Angels as leverage of some sort and I think it's pretty obvious he doesn't like being the supporting character in someone else's movie. Never mind making the team better.

there has been no indication ive read at any point that we were being leveraged... im curious to know what i missed on that one?  AS far as i know there were no other deals on the table for either club.  But it wouldnt be the first time i didnt catch something so... meh. 
I just wish that one could be redone, that ones going to haunt us i think the next couple seasons.

4 minutes ago, RBM said:

I agree. He let Eppler do his job with Ohtani and Rendon. He stayed out of the way.

All owners shell out the cash. It’s what they do.

But Arte’s pride cost the team the opportunity to acquire Stripling.

I wish he would act more like Mark Walter and less like Jerry Jones. 

I agree I think and it's pretty well known now that he got in the way of the Stripling deal which is unfortunate. But I think he equally got in the way of he Rendon deal and got that deal done in a very fast fortune. Arte giveth and taketh away, but I'd still say he's a top 5 owner in all of MLB.