• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lhalo

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

Monkeypox in US: CDC monitoring 200 people in 27 states, other countries

While the delta variant and other issues have the coronavirus gaining renewed attention, U.S. health officials are also watching for signs of a possible outbreak of monkeypox, according to a report.

Following an initial report of a patient being treated for monkeypox in Texas after arriving there from Nigeria earlier this month, officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are now monitoring more than 200 individuals who may have had contact with the traveler, WVLA-TV of Baton Rouge, Louisiana reported.

The individuals being observed are spread across 27 states and several foreign countries, the report said. They range from associates of the patient to fellow passengers on flights.

None of the people being tracked are considered at high risk and none have been found to have monkeypox, the report said.

Prior to landing in Dallas on July 9, where the patient was later hospitalized, the traveler made a stop in Atlanta, according to the report.

At the moment, there are no safe treatments available for monkeypox, according to the CDC.

Symptoms of the illness include fever, headache, muscle aches, backache, swollen lymph nodes, chills, exhaustion, or a skin rash that develops days after a fever, WVLA reported.

Monkeypox was first detected in humans in Africa in 1970, according to the CDC website. It was last detected in the U.S. in 2003, when 47 cases were found, the agency says.

The illness can be fatal in 1% to 10% of cases, with those having already weak immune systems at highest risk, according to the CDC.

4 hours ago, Redondo said:

While the delta variant and other issues have the coronavirus gaining renewed attention, U.S. health officials are also watching for signs of a possible outbreak of monkeypox, according to a report.

Following an initial report of a patient being treated for monkeypox in Texas after arriving there from Nigeria earlier this month, officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are now monitoring more than 200 individuals who may have had contact with the traveler, WVLA-TV of Baton Rouge, Louisiana reported.

The individuals being observed are spread across 27 states and several foreign countries, the report said. They range from associates of the patient to fellow passengers on flights.

None of the people being tracked are considered at high risk and none have been found to have monkeypox, the report said.

Prior to landing in Dallas on July 9, where the patient was later hospitalized, the traveler made a stop in Atlanta, according to the report.

At the moment, there are no safe treatments available for monkeypox, according to the CDC.

Symptoms of the illness include fever, headache, muscle aches, backache, swollen lymph nodes, chills, exhaustion, or a skin rash that develops days after a fever, WVLA reported.

Monkeypox was first detected in humans in Africa in 1970, according to the CDC website. It was last detected in the U.S. in 2003, when 47 cases were found, the agency says.

The illness can be fatal in 1% to 10% of cases, with those having already weak immune systems at highest risk, according to the CDC.

This sounds like a fun disease 

5 hours ago, Redondo said:

Shouldn't you start a separate thread?

21 hours ago, lolokTHEJUDGE said:

Since early February, 8,787 people in Texas have died of COVID.

43 of them were vaccinated.

as i understand it, nearly all of the small number people who die from covid after vaccination are in nursing homes.  unfortunately, older people who are already sick will not get the same kind of immune response that a healthier person will get.  it is still of great benefit and a great majority of those vulnerable will still be able to be aided by the vaccine, but its unfortunately not 100%.  All medical care workers should be required to receive a vaccine.  In Texas apparently nearly 40% of nursing facility workers remain unvaccinated.  

The reason the vikings fired the coach is because the NFL came out yesterday and said if outbreaks among un-vaccinated players/employees lead to games that can't be rescheduled then those teams will get a loss, their opponents will get a win and the burden of any financial fallout will fall on the team with the outbreak.  I definitely don't envy employers during all of this because we've seen it now that we're back in the office a few days a week where there's holdouts and one of my former co-workers who I met up with for lunch said it's the same in his office.  Whether or not people get the vaccine is up to them but from an employers perspective it's a cluster fuck.  I don't mind coming into the office a few days a week especially after 15 months of working from home but long term the issue becomes how long do employers allow people to not come in because they aren't vaccinated. 

2 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

The reason the vikings fired the coach is because the NFL came out yesterday and said if outbreaks among un-vaccinated players/employees lead to games that can't be rescheduled then those teams will get a loss, their opponents will get a win and the burden of any financial fallout will fall on the team with the outbreak.  I definitely don't envy employers during all of this because we've seen it now that we're back in the office a few days a week where there's holdouts and one of my former co-workers who I met up with for lunch said it's the same in his office.  Whether or not people get the vaccine is up to them but from an employers perspective it's a cluster fuck.  I don't mind coming into the office a few days a week especially after 15 months of working from home but long term the issue becomes how long do employers allow people to not come in because they aren't vaccinated. 

Should a nurse in a care facility be required to be vaccinated.  Yes or no ?

7 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Should a nurse in a care facility be required to be vaccinated.  Yes or no ?

It would be nice if all care facilities were private so patients had better choices. 

But of course to answer your question the answer is a hard NO. “My body my choice.”

That's up to the employer while the government has said employers can require it.  That said I imagine there will be some lawsuits from those who don't want to get vaccinated when threatened with the loss of their job.  The issue for some requiring it may be losing employees they can't easily replace especially when it comes to care givers at SNF, senior living communities and so on.  My wife is vaccinated but probably 30-40% of the care givers at her work aren't and everyone else pays the price when there's a positive test.  It's a microcosm of what we see across the country when there's outbreaks and restrictions or lock downs are put in place.  Frankly I can't be bothered to get worked up over it because the only person I control as to whether or not they get the vaccine is me.     

It’s always the same with you guys.  Rights start with me and end with you.  All of you people have been vaccinated against various illnesses.  Being vaccinated is the most minuscule concession that you could possibly make for your community and even that is too much.   It’s all culture war bullshit.     The monoculture is completely broken. 

31 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I know it's not common but aren't there people who can't be vaccinated?

Slippery slope.

Slippery slope.  What are you talking about.  The fact that there are those who cannot be vaccinated is even more reason for people with one fucking ounce of good faith and sense of duty to community to go ahead and get vaccinated. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Slippery slope.  What are you talking about.  The fact that there are those who cannot be vaccinated is even more reason for people with one fucking ounce of good faith and duty to community to go ahead and get vaccinated. 

It's a slippery slope forcing employees to get vaccinated, as well as businesses. Imagine being unable to get it but you lose your job or can't enter a business because of that.

Otherwise I agree with you.