• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lhalo

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

Immunologist claims he has a possible cure for coronavirus

Distributed Bio co-founder and CEO Dr. Jacob Glanville joined "Tucker Carlson Tonight" Friday to talk about his company's laboratory engineering a therapeutic antibody to combat the coronavirus.

"So what we have done is we've engineered neutralizing antibodies that go and block the virus. The coronavirus, if you were to zoom in on it, you would see a series, a ring of spikes, and it uses those spikes to invade human cells," Glanville said. "We've identified a series of super potent antibodies that block those spikes and therefore make the virus no longer infectious."

Glanville explained the power of antibodies, saying it helped during the Ebola epidemic.

"This is the thing that turned the tide against Ebola. The Ebola used to be a death sentence, about 50 percent mortality rate," Glanville said. "And then once a good antibody neutralizing solution was made, then I think 94 percent of people can walk away."

"So that transformed Ebola from a dangerous crisis to a manageable treatment," Glanville added.

The doctor also spoke about the advantages of antibodies over vaccines.

"We've also got antibodies to treat rabies. We've got antibodies to treat RSV in babies. Antibodies are used to for anti-venom. So this is extremely well-established platform technology. It has the advantage," Glanville said. "You can produce antibodies much faster than you can make a vaccine. And as I'd heard you mentioned previously on all that modeling, every day counts. We're venting an incredible amount of money out of our economy and risking lives. And so you want to have a medicine as quickly as possible."

Glanville outlined the process, hoping to go toward human trial this summer.

"Our next move is we hand this off to the U.S. military, a consortium from the Gates Foundation and some private groups. And all of them are going to test the potency of neutralization of our therapeutic. We're also working with Charles River Laboratories that runs safety and talks to make sure the stuff safe to put into people," Glanville said. "And we're going to go into a scaled up manufacturer. So at that point, what you do as you do a phase one last two human trial, and that's we're aiming to do that towards the end of the summer around August."

CNN’s Acosta ripped for anti-Trump ‘mansplain’ interruption of Dr. Birx at news briefing

CNN chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta was widely blasted for interrupting Dr. Deborah Birx during Friday's coronavirus briefing to attack President Trump.

Birx took a moment at the podium to address the "who knew what when" concerns and said all the countries affected by the pandemic can "look back" to develop a timeline but not while "in the middle" of the crisis.

"We can talk about why didn't Italy do something or Spain do something or Germany do something, or we can really say right now -- we all can do something," Dr. Birx explained. "We can do the social distancing and all of the pieces that we know is starting to work around the globe in country after country. And then when we get through all of this, we can ask the questions about could we have done some piece of this better as a global community."

She then pivoted to the apparent errors the World Health Organization (WHO) made leading up to the outbreak in the U.S. as something that should be examined.

"I will remind you that on February 3rd, the head of the WHO said there was no reason to ever do a travel ban," Dr. Birx continued. "It wasn't until January 14th that we knew that there was human-to-human transmission,"

Acosta quickly derailed her observations about WHO to knock President Trump.

"Dr. Birx, the president was saying this was going to go away," Acosta said. "It's April."

Many took to social media to blast the reporter.

"Jim Acosta's interruption of Dr. Birx is an example of how CNN's echo-journalism model is destroying the media's credibility," George Washington University Law professor Jonathan Turley reacted. "Every question from Acosta is an effort to score points rather than elicit information. It is a press pandemic that continues to rage without relief."

Some accused Acosta of attempting to "mansplain" to the female medical expert.

"'Dear Diary: While I’m no expert, I tried #Mansplaining to an expert medical expert named Dr. Birx. @Acosta,'" former CNN commentator Paris Dennard quipped.

Others pointed out how Acosta interrupted Dr. Birx as she was being critical of WHO, who critics have accused of shielding China amid the outbreak.

"Of course Acosta interrupted Birx as she was making an interesting comment about WHO," Daily Caller reporter Chuck Ross said.

Acosta has made a name for himself in the Trump era for his hostile exchanges with the president.

However, he is even criticized among his White House press corps colleagues. In his new book, ABC News correspondent Jonathan Karl knocked his CNN counterpart, accusing him of "playing into the explicit Trump strategy of portraying the press as the opposition party."

"The surest way to undermine the credibility of the White House press corps is to behave like the political opposition," Karl wrote. "Don't give speeches from the White House briefing room."

Edited by Redondo

Couple names newborn twins Corona and Covid

A couple in India named their newborn twins Corona and Covid after they were delivered during the country’s ongoing coronavirus lockdown.

“The delivery happened after facing several difficulties and therefore, my husband and I wanted to make the day memorable,” Preeti Verma, the 27-old mother, told the Press Trust of India.

Preeti and Vinay Verma say the names will remind their children as they grow up about the hardships faced during the lockdown. And, hopefully, the family's triumph over adversity.

The healthy twins -- a boy and a girl -- were delivered in a government hospital last week in the state of Chhattisgarh.

McDonald's launches coronavirus checks for employees, plans to take workers' temperatures

McDonald’s is playing it safe during the coronavirus pandemic, with the launch of new precautionary health safety checks for employees across the U.S.

On Wednesday, the fast-food chain announced that it would be implementing “extra precautionary measures” to ensure restaurant workers are in good health at the start of each shift.

In partnership with its independent franchisees, McDonald’s confirmed that upon reporting for duty, employees will be asked if they have been diagnosed with or are exhibiting symptoms associated with COVID-19, if they have been in close contact within the last two weeks with anyone infected with the viral disease and if they have been advised to self-quarantine by a health care provider or public health official due to potential exposure to or suspected case of the novel coronavirus.

If the employee answers “yes” to any of the questions, they will be sent home and not allowed to return to work until they have been cleared by a medical professional, McDonald’s said. Staffers who answer “no” to all of the coronavirus-check questions will be allowed to begin working as usual.

Looking ahead, a source close to the matter also confirmed to Fox News that the fast-food chain is also working to launch temperature checks for employees across America as an additional step of the new wellness policy, in the near future.

"We have secured thermometers and we're in the process now of quickly making them available to all of our restaurants," David Tovar, vice president of U.S. communications at McDonald's, told Business Insider on Wednesday.

Joe Erlinger, president of McDonald’s USA, described the health checks as “extra precautionary measures” to protect both employees and customers during the unprecedented pandemic.

“Implementing these extra precautionary measures is another way employees can feel good about where they work, and customers can trust their favorite McDonald’s menu items are being prepared by healthy crew members,” Erlinger said in the Wednesday statement. “This is one of the many ways McDonald’s is doing its part to help stop the spread of COVID-19 at this critical time.”

Furthermore, if an employee of a company-owned restaurant is impacted by COVID-19, they will receive two weeks paid leave, McDonald’s said. Workers across a “large percentage" of franchised chains can receive emergency paid leave through the Families First Coronavirus Response Act.

As for other precautionary measures during the COVID-19 crisis, the Golden Arches has closed many of its dine-in areas at restaurants, shuttered all play spaces, increased cleanings, especially of high-traffic areas, and made hand sanitizer available in all restaurants, among other social distancing measures.

Mickey D's will follow competitors Burger King and Popeyes in mandating temperature checks for employees during the worldwide COVID-19 outbreak.

MCDONALD'S REDUCING MENU, ELIMINATING ALL-DAY BREAKFAST DURING CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK

mcdonalds-coronavirus-checks-employees-outbreak

Edited by Redondo

12 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ive said it before, and Im sure ill repeat it several more times. But its crazy to look back at the first few pages of this thread. Forget any individual poster on here, or AW as a whole. The replies were pretty much what likely the whole world thought at the time.

Fast forward two or three months later, and its the biggest crisis in the world in the past 80 or so years. 

I think its safe to say this thing will a kill a million people, at least, globally over the next year. It has completely crushed the world economy. And were still perhaps a year or two from being totally out of the dark of it. 

Head shaking. Just in a step back and look at it kind of way. 

The thought occurred to me immediately that millions of Chinese traveling for the Lunar New Year would spread this thing all over.

We now know that the virus was probably among us for several months before January.

By the way, the BBC article I linked to in the first post is no longer available.

I heard a rumor yesterday the projection was down to 93k  That’s if Americans cover their mouths and San Franciscans cover their asses. Final numbers going to be fairly close to those made by the crazy uncle in Kc. Now I need the states to quit counting accidental kid’s deaths and Grandmas that fall down the stairs. 

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

The thought occurred to me immediately that millions of Chinese traveling for the Lunar New Year would spread this thing all over.

We now know that the virus was probably among us for several months before January.

By the way, the BBC article I linked to in the first post is no longer available.

My wife and I were in Union Square, San Francisco during the lunar new year parade. We had to walk through 10's of thousands of people to make it to our hotel (Westin St. Francis) from the Ferry Building. Who knows how many people spread the virus around that day.

3 minutes ago, angelinkc said:

I heard a rumor yesterday the projection was down to 93k  That’s if Americans cover their mouths and San Franciscans cover their asses. Final numbers going to be fairly close to those made by the crazy uncle in Kc. Now I need the states to quit counting accidental kid’s deaths and Grandmas that fall down the stairs. 

You should volunteer at one of the ICUs, they can always use another bed pan changer and they can save on PPE since you're obviously unafraid. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

You should volunteer at one of the ICUs, they can always use another bed pan changer and they can save on PPE since you're obviously unafraid. 

Samaritans Purse has a few older people working in New York. Their bravery was pretty impressive. Pretty sure I wouldn’t do that at their age. Overall we have done pretty well. We should locked down high risks vs whole country. We need the states to stop fabricating kids deaths. 3 have already been retracted. I suspect massive fraud is occurring in New York. Time will tell. 

3 hours ago, Redondo said:

Immunologist claims he has a possible cure for coronavirus

Distributed Bio co-founder and CEO Dr. Jacob Glanville joined "Tucker Carlson Tonight" Friday to talk about his company's laboratory engineering a therapeutic antibody to combat the coronavirus.

"So what we have done is we've engineered neutralizing antibodies that go and block the virus. The coronavirus, if you were to zoom in on it, you would see a series, a ring of spikes, and it uses those spikes to invade human cells," Glanville said. "We've identified a series of super potent antibodies that block those spikes and therefore make the virus no longer infectious."

Glanville explained the power of antibodies, saying it helped during the Ebola epidemic.

"This is the thing that turned the tide against Ebola. The Ebola used to be a death sentence, about 50 percent mortality rate," Glanville said. "And then once a good antibody neutralizing solution was made, then I think 94 percent of people can walk away."

"So that transformed Ebola from a dangerous crisis to a manageable treatment," Glanville added.

The doctor also spoke about the advantages of antibodies over vaccines.

"We've also got antibodies to treat rabies. We've got antibodies to treat RSV in babies. Antibodies are used to for anti-venom. So this is extremely well-established platform technology. It has the advantage," Glanville said. "You can produce antibodies much faster than you can make a vaccine. And as I'd heard you mentioned previously on all that modeling, every day counts. We're venting an incredible amount of money out of our economy and risking lives. And so you want to have a medicine as quickly as possible."

Glanville outlined the process, hoping to go toward human trial this summer.

"Our next move is we hand this off to the U.S. military, a consortium from the Gates Foundation and some private groups. And all of them are going to test the potency of neutralization of our therapeutic. We're also working with Charles River Laboratories that runs safety and talks to make sure the stuff safe to put into people," Glanville said. "And we're going to go into a scaled up manufacturer. So at that point, what you do as you do a phase one last two human trial, and that's we're aiming to do that towards the end of the summer around August."

Am I crazy, or was this already posted? Only asking because aim curious if someone else is saying they have a treatment now?

2 minutes ago, angelinkc said:

Samaritans Purse has a few older people working in New York. Their bravery was pretty impressive. Pretty sure I wouldn’t do that at their age. Overall we have done pretty well. We should locked down high risks vs whole country. We need the states to stop fabricating kids deaths. 3 have already been retracted. I suspect massive fraud is occurring in New York. Time will tell. 

Nice backtrack. 

3 minutes ago, Fireball said:

Nice backtrack. 

Bravery wasn’t really the point of my first post. Needles and hospitals are two things I try to avoid. How is your daughter? Has she said anything about how the deaths are classified ? I imagine she probably just focused on treating people and staying healthy. 

4 minutes ago, Fireball said:

Nice backtrack. 

22 minutes ago, angelinkc said:

But then we'd also have to include the people who die out of the hospital from it, but arent tested for it, because the coroner doesn't have enough test kits.