• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you rather overpay in trade assets or in free agent money/term for a frontline starter?

mmc

I think it’s become apparent that unless we develop one ourselves, which isn’t likely considering who we have in the system, we’re going to be forced to offer more than most of us, and the front office are comfortable with, in either a trade, or by signing a free agent.  Which overpay would you rather make?

13 minutes ago, Second Base said:

True, but he's had no elbow or shoulder issues and went 200 innings in 2018. But you're right. I think I need to clarify 180 innings, as long as he's healthy.

I get what you're saying, but you could say that about any pitcher. 

3 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

I think it’s become apparent that unless we develop one ourselves, which isn’t likely considering who we have in the system, we’re going to be forced to offer more than most of us, and the front office are comfortable with, in either a trade, or by signing a free agent.  Which overpay would you rather make?

Money

3 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

I'd sooner throw money than prospects, the Angels have more of that than they do prospects, and the prospects can help offset the money.  Also, my definition of front line pitching doesn't include guys like Keuchel, Bumgarner, types.  

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'd sooner throw money than prospects, the Angels have more of that than they do prospects, and the prospects can help offset the money.  Also, my definition of front line pitching doesn't include guys like Keuchel, Bumgarner, types.  

Right there were two bonafide front line starters on the free agent market.  One stayed on the team he just won a World Series on and the other went to the Yankees.  We can squint and see that maybe, possibly, Wheeler is a front line starter, but the results say otherwise.  

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Right there were two bonafide front line starters on the free agent market.  One stayed on the team he just won a World Series on and the other went to the Yankees.  We can squint and see that maybe, possibly, Wheeler is a front line starter, but the results say otherwise.  

Well, gotbeer can.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

So you won't overpay. Got it.

As I said, overpay in quantity over quality. Like Jordyn Adams, Luis Rengifo, Trent Deveaux, Patrick Sandoval, Hector Yan, and Aaron Hernandez. 

Six prospects is a haul and can change the entire direction of a system. Realistically, from that crop of six, you're getting a starting outfielder, starting infielder, back end starting pitcher, pinch running 4th outfielder and a couple of hard throwing relievers. 

Not a single one will likely be better than Clevinger, who figures to be worth 5 wins above replacement annually, but collectively, that return should be worth around 7-8 wins annually. 

Edited by Second Base