• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are we done?

stormngt

5 hours ago, stormngt said:

We have two new starting pitchers.  We signed an impact 3b for the offense.  We have more outfielders than we need.  We seem to have more middle infielders than we need.  We signed our catcher.

Therefore are we done?  Will the any other acquisition from here on out only going to be minor improvements?

Have you been following the Angels for long? The Angels always are near the top of the injured list. A lot of times over the course of 162 games, the teams with playable depth are often the winners. Depth is a good thing. 

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Or JC Ramirez and Felix Pena.

Two guys that gave the Angels almost 400 innings of 4.25 ERA baseball after being picked up off the discard pile.

They have done ok finding "swing-man" type pitchers.

But that was before Eppler deserved to be fired. 

5 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Maybe, but that's being optimistic, there is no reason to think that is the median outcome. I'd be happy with that for sure, you can't expect better than that, but I'd like to balance the downside risk of Barria, etc not reaching the 1.5 war mark with some upside. 

Let’s say we get a quality start every game next year. That would be pretty optimistic. 6 innings a game for 162 games is 972 innings of 4.50 ERA. Bundy and Teheran have basically had a 4.50 combined ERA for 350 combined innings over the past 3 years. So now we’re looking for 620 innings. You’ve chalked up 200 to Barria, Suarez and Peters. Throw ‘em max effort you can get 66 innings of 4.5 out of them.

Down to 420 innings and Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, and Sandoval. Can they get 105 innings averaged at 4.50 ERA between them?

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I'm thinking we go 4th outfielder from within as we wait for Adell.  One of Walsh, Hermosillo, Ward, or Lund will step up and win the job.

I suspect - depending on any trades that might happen (Gubi says a trade for SP will come before Spring Training) - those names you listed have the inside track pre-Adell, since he likely won't start Opening Day.

Hermosillo will have to hit his way onto the team because he lacks to flexibility of Walsh and Ward. The latter two both have a solid shot, depending how their spring goes and whether we want an extra 1B or 3B.

8 hours ago, Rico said:

I'm thinking we go 4th outfielder from within as we wait for Adell.  One of Walsh, Hermosillo, Ward, or Lund will step up and win the job.

Walsh and Ward aren’t CF, and Lund isn’t on the 40.

I agree that Hermosillo has a strong shot at the 4th OF, but it’s probably also important in terms of 40-man flexibility to have an OF with options parked at SLC, so they can pull up an OF when needed without having to make any DFAs from the 26 or 40. That’s why I think there’s a reasonable shot they still still a vet 4th OF. 

Entirely possible that, since Goodwin can play CF, they utilize Fletcher in RF some as well, especially if it gets more AB for La Stella.

Sort of depends on who lands on the bench. Thaiss isn’t playing OF. Ward kind of can. Walsh as well, but not much. 

13 hours ago, Drink More Yakult said:

Let’s say we get a quality start every game next year. That would be pretty optimistic. 6 innings a game for 162 games is 972 innings of 4.50 ERA. Bundy and Teheran have basically had a 4.50 combined ERA for 350 combined innings over the past 3 years. So now we’re looking for 620 innings. You’ve chalked up 200 to Barria, Suarez and Peters. Throw ‘em max effort you can get 66 innings of 4.5 out of them.

Down to 420 innings and Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, and Sandoval. Can they get 105 innings averaged at 4.50 ERA between them?

On that last group I think the era will be better than 4.50, but ~105 innings each is about what I expect out of them. The real question is, can Barria, Suarez and Peter stay in the games they start long enough to reach that 200 inning total. 

14 hours ago, Drink More Yakult said:

Only four teams got 900+ innings from their rotation last year. None hit 972. 

If we were a top five rotation, I’d say 900 innings is fair. We aren’t, so it isn’t. 

850 is probably around where you want to be targeting for SP innings. 

11 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Only four teams got 900+ innings from their rotation last year. None hit 972. 

If we were a top five rotation, I’d say 900 innings is fair. We aren’t, so it isn’t. 

850 is probably around where you want to be targeting for SP innings. 

Again, so much of the outcome is dependent upon the quality of those innings.

Sadly, when a franchise that needs pitching opts to NOT draft pitching for YEARS, it’s pretty difficult to rely on a young crew coming to save the day any time soon.  If it’s NOT via free agency (and we know it’s not now)...you trade.  

If Adell gets you Clevinger - you  do it...if Marsh plus gets you Gray...you do it.  This club is meant to win now...or next...not in five years!  Already wasted Trout’s contributions the last half decade.  

Adell could be the next Braandon Wood...no one knows.  I’m willing to risk for a couple of top rotation guys.

suck it up...and do it Eppler!