• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are we done?

stormngt

8 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Lou loved Reagins or it appeared that he did when he interviewed him. 

This is exactly why I refrain from any discussion with you. I liked Reagins. Still do. He's a good man. 

I interviewed him days after he was hired, thus, before he ever made a move in respect to the roster. I never thought he was a good GM, however.

You obviously have some baseball knowledge. Why you choose to be a disingenuous troll on this board baffles me. It's time to grow up. 

7 minutes ago, Lou said:

This is exactly why I refrain from any discussion with you. I liked Reagins. Still do. He's a good man. 

I interviewed him days after he was hired, thus, before he ever made a move in respect to the roster. I never thought he was a good GM, however.

You obviously have some baseball knowledge. Why you choose to be a disingenuous troll on this board baffles me. It's time to grow up. 

13 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You said it was the same story -- the implication being that the two situations were similar when you know they weren't..   So, again -- lets cut the BS..  In your opinion did Eppler and Dipoto come into the same situation?

BTW -- here's the greatest example of "Thank you Jerry" ever..

I was actually a fan of Reagins. I don’t think he got a fair shake. There were way too many egos at the helm. We all saw how he got blamed for Wells. Then Dipoto shows up and Arte rams Pujols, CJ and Hamilton up his gazoo. Dipoto walked into the Reagins/ Arte / Scioscia debacle and Eppler walked into the Dipoto / Arte / Scioscia debacle.  

There have been three recent DFAs that I could see the Angels take a chance on...all would be great buy-low types to add to our pitching depth.

• Stephen Tarpley, LHRP, 27
    • Limited MLB action with the Yankees, 5.88 ERA, 1.81 WHIP, marred by 40 hits allowed in 33.2 IP but with 47 strikeouts (12.6 K/9) as well.
    • Of note, in the minors he was used primarily as a multi-inning reliever - 18 G, 32 IP in '19, 36 G, 70 IP in '18, 18 G, 41 IP in '17
    • Huge numbers in A+ through AAA in '17 and '18, 1.55 ERA (19 ER in 111 IP) with 113 strikeouts versus 44 walks, 59 hits.
    • Only 20 HR allowed in 450 minor league innings
    • He has options remaining
  • Matt Hall, LHRP, 26
    • Limited time with Detroit last two seasons, 9.48 ERA in 21 G, 2.07 WHIP, pummeled with 47 hits allowed in 31.1 IP with 18 BB, 32 K
    • At AAA in 2019, big strikeout numbers - 106 in 86.2 IP, though he also allowed 102 hits, 16 HR (!!!), and 31 BB. 
    • Prior to 2019, never posted an ERA above 2.91 in four minor league seasons
    • Like Tarpley, he was used as a hybrid SP/multi-inning RP, pitching in 25 G/13 GS. 
    • Owns a 15.8% swinging-strike rate on his curve and is in 96th percentile for spin rate
    • Also has options remaining
  • Dylan Covey, RHP, 27
    • Former 1st round draft pick, Covey has slumped to a 6.54 ERA across three season with the White Sox in 250 IP, 63 G, 45 GS
    • In the bigs, he's allowed too many hits, too many walks, too many homers, not enough strikeouts. Nothing has worked yet.
    • Very solid upper-minor league numbers, with a career 2.45 ERA in AA/AAA in 125 IP, allowing 117 hits, 12 HR, 42 BB, 110 strikeouts
    • Has an option remaining, it appears

I expect us to acquire another pitcher but not until closer to the season.

I have to imagine some of the conversations right now involve GMs saying:

”Sure Billy, let me stop my Arenado talks so you can tell me you aren’t trading Adell or Marsh for Gray”

or “We’re waiting on the decision on if I’m going to be fired and we lose 4 draft picks for our cheating scandal. I’m getting calls for Mookie. You can talk to the new GM about Price.”

The Kris Bryant grievance decision hasn’t even come out yet. That’s holding up some of the trade market. KB will have a higher demand than Arenado because he’ll be almost half the cost for the same amount of control. The only reason we’re hearing rumors of the Cardinals going after Arenado is the Cubs would never trade Kris Bryant there. Dodgers are probably in on Bryant but they’d also be interested in Lindor and Clevinger so the Bryant decision is holding up anything about Clevinger.

If the Angels have asked about Clevinger, the Indians would probably want to wait for a superior Dodgers’ package.

The Red Sox are waiting on their punishment which will give them an excuse to sell off a bunch of assets or even just clear payroll to get under the threshold. 

I think patience is the right move right now,  there aren’t any acquirable pitchers that would make us clear contenders. The trade market still needs to settle out.

7 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Eppler is always tinkering. Roster is never complete till the trade deadline and even then things can still happen. But the roster today is better than the roster yesterday and that's all you can ask for from a GM. Continuing to make the Angels better is his job.