• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gerrit Cole chose Yankees because he wanted to win a World Series

CanadianHalo

2 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:
I hope Arte and co. take this personal. Just as a fan of the team it would be even sweeter now to win the WS this year or win one before the Yanks.

Get some damn pitching and let’s go!

Right.  I'm sure the fact the Yankees offered more than anyone else had nothing to do with it.  

I'd actually have more respect for these guys if they just said something like "They made me an offer I couldn't refuse."

Probably shouldn't say "I gotta feed my kids", tho ... 🙄

3 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Right.  I'm sure the fact the Yankees offered more than anyone else had nothing to do with it.  

I'd actually have more respect for these guys if they just said something like "They made me an offer I couldn't refuse."

Probably shouldn't say "I gotta feed my kids", tho ... 🙄

Or something like, "the schools in Westchester County have an excellent reputation."

2 hours ago, m0nkey said:

The Yankees are closer to a title than the Angels.  

The Angels future is bright.  It's so bright that one day they could be in the position the yankees are in now.

i mean, you're right and all, but wouldn't you have said the same thing about the nationals?

39 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Hilarious. This thread delivers.

I learned you can't predict the future, so picking a team is short sighted.

Haha. Roster turnover happens pretty quickly in baseball. Farm systems change. Players decline, improve. Teams make trades, signings.

Cole doesn’t even know who his teammates will be in 2021 and beyond 🤷🏻‍♂️

The exact quote, when asked how much consideration Cole gave the Angels

“Oh, strong consideration. Very strong. Gerrit Cole was raised in Orange County and he had very substantial childhood ties to this franchise. The meetings we had with the angels were great. They went really well. It really came down to a decision about world championship play. He and Amy’s primary goal was to win a world championship. In the end, he had to make a very difficult decision but in his mind that pursuit of those world championships was something that was on the forefront of his final decision.”

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The exact quote, when asked how much consideration Cole gave the Angels

“Oh, strong consideration. Very strong. Gerrit Cole was raised in Orange County and he had very substantial childhood ties to this franchise. The meetings we had with the angels were great. They went really well. It really came down to a decision about world championship play. He and Amy’s primary goal was to win a world championship. In the end, he had to make a very difficult decision but in his mind that pursuit of those world championships was something that was on the forefront of his final decision.”

Just out of curiosity.  Do you know if the Angels were going for Rendon and Cole?  Or was the Rendon signing more because Cole signed with the Yankees?  Because if we were always going for both, then his comment about a pursuit of a world championship is kind of silly.  

8 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

Haha. Roster turnover happens pretty quickly in baseball. Farm systems change. Players decline, improve. Teams make trades, signings.

Cole doesn’t even know who his teammates will be in 2021 and beyond 🤷🏻‍♂️

You can say that for every team. It doesn't mean he should pick the Angels. The Yankees are always going to be competitive, it's not like he blew us off for the Royals.

I don't even understand your original point.

1 minute ago, gotbeer said:

Just out of curiosity.  Do you know if the Angels were going for Rendon and Cole?  Or was the Rendon signing more because Cole signed with the Yankees?  Because if we were always going for both, then his comment about a pursuit of a world championship is kind of silly.  

I believe they were going for Cole and they were going for Rendon. I think it’s possible they could have signed both, but pretty unlikely. There would have had to be some creative financing. 

Just now, Brandon said:

You can say that for every team. It doesn't mean he should pick the Angels. The Yankees are always going to be competitive, it's not like he blew us off for the Royals.

I don't even understand your original point.

My point was simple. If he’s looking for the best chance to win a WS in 2020, then he probably made the right decision. If he’s looking for the best chance to win a WS from 2021-2028, then he took a gamble based on a hunch. He doesn’t even know who will be his teammates in 2021 and beyond or who the Angels will have at that point. Or how the rest of MLB will look. Things can change fast.

3 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

My point was simple. If he’s looking for the best chance to win a WS in 2020, then he probably made the right decision. If he’s looking for the best chance to win a WS from 2021-2028, then he took a gamble based on a hunch. He doesn’t even know who will be his teammates in 2021 and beyond or who the Angels will have at that point. Or how the rest of MLB will look. Things can change fast.

Makes sense. It's probably better to not sign anywhere because of variables every player and teams have to deal with.

Probably shouldn't have signed with the Yankees because he doesn't know what the lineup will look like in 2025.

Great post. 

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Makes sense. It's probably better to not sign anywhere because of variables every player and teams have to deal with.

Probably shouldn't have signed with the Yankees because he doesn't know what the lineup will look like in 2025.

Great post. 

Well, his goal is to win WS, no? That is short-sighted given that he doesn’t have a clue who he will even play with in 2021 and beyond or how the Angels would’ve looked like or any other team. It makes sense for 2020, though. I’ll give him that. 

3 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Clearly he should only have signed a one year contract because he’s not Nostradamus. Forget the security of a long term fully guaranteed contract when 2021 could be an issue. 

Nah. I’m saying his reasoning is short-sighted. Which it is. If the Angels win multiple WS from 2021-2028 and the Yankees zero, his decision will look stupid. But that’s the point: he couldn’t have known. 

1 minute ago, Angels_Fan said:

Nah. I’m saying his reasoning is short-sighted. Which it is. If the Angels win multiple WS from 2021-2028 and the Yankees zero, his decision will look stupid. But that’s the point: he couldn’t have known. 

Saying it over and over doesn’t make your point any less ridiculous.  

6 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Clearly he should only have signed a one year contract because he’s not Nostradamus. Forget the security of a long term fully guaranteed contract when 2021 could be an issue. 

Now I feel bad for Rendon. He has no idea what the bullpen will look like in a couple years.