• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Best FA catchers still unsigned

Angel Oracle

On 11/29/2019 at 5:01 PM, Dochalo said:

he's better than those guys and he's not a hall of famer.  It's not a stretch to call him a borderline HOFer.  

basic agree to disagree scenario. i don't see it. in my mind, he's equal to those two and others like them. certainly good quality starting catchers for some period of time, but not even close to HOF caliber. i will admit to being one of the people you spoke about. i do think molina gets into the HOF. although he's a little weak by HOF comparison, i think he will get in by his second or third year.

5 minutes ago, ukyah said:

honestly, i don't. but i'm kind of oblivious in that way. i have only the faintest picture of a few here. i just come here and talk some baseball.

Doesn't matter, the comment wasn't in the least bit directed at you.  I mean ..  you said this... 

On 11/29/2019 at 1:47 AM, ukyah said:

if fangraphs really says that, then it just gives more fuel to the WAR is a flawed stat fire.

If anything you're alluding to the reality of a commonly held belief..

11 hours ago, ukyah said:

i think players get into the HOF on their offensive numbers. i realize that defense is key for a catcher, but if that were enough then there would be a lot of defense only catchers in the HOF.

Right, which is why Martin isn't a Hall of Famer.

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

Walk away from the FA catcher market, trade for the need, its the only real solution.  Maybe get Maldy if you need to bridge the gap a little. 
We have to get an answer at the position some how some way and FA isnt it at this point. 

sure it is.  Billy just made a shitty choice last year.  

Just now, Kevinb said:

I know. But still don't want him. He brings nothing offensively. I think this team needs to upgrade its offense. A zero bat at catcher who's 33 doesn't strike me as an upgrade. 

Ok, but it is an upgrade, just like Bundy is an upgrade.  I still believe that the Angels are going to work to trade for their catcher of the future.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, but it is an upgrade, just like Bundy is an upgrade.  I still believe that the Angels are going to work to trade for their catcher of the future.  

I don't know how Bundy got dragged into this. I think Bundy is an upgrade. I think Maldonado is not. I know it's too much to ask for in one off season to fix our starting pitching and our offense. But still I would appreciate more offense and more starting pitching. 

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I know. But still don't want him. He brings nothing offensively. I think this team needs to upgrade its offense. A zero bat at catcher who's 33 doesn't strike me as an upgrade. 

Pitching is a bigger problem than a minor upgrade at that plate. I’m more concerned with getting the most out of our pitchers. Most catchers suck offensively. Having one who is a bit worse than other options isn’t that big of a deal if it improves the staff. 

Just now, Sean-Regan said:

Pitching is a bigger problem than a minor upgrade at that plate. I’m more concerned with getting the most out of our pitchers. Most catchers suck offensively. Having one who is a bit worse than other options isn’t that big of a deal if it improves the staff. 

I guess that's where we would agree to disagree. I don't think it matters all that much. A good/great pitcher will do well regardless of who's behind the plate. 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

I don't know how Bundy got dragged into this. I think Bundy is an upgrade. I think Maldonado is not. I know it's too much to ask for in one off season to fix our starting pitching and our offense. But still I would appreciate more offense and more starting pitching. 

Well Bundy got dragged in because quite a few people don’t value what he brings.  Which to me is similar to how you view Maldonado.  

Just now, Kevinb said:

Agree to disagree @Stradling I just prefer someone who can put the ball in play. Most MLB catchers can play the position relatively well. 

Yep, agree to disagree.  As a fan we want runs on the board as a starting pitcher they want their personal catcher regardless of offense.  Hell Ramos was the best catcher the Mets had but Syndergaard hated throwing to him.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yep, agree to disagree.  As a fan we want runs on the board as a starting pitcher they want their personal catcher regardless of offense.  Hell Ramos was the best catcher the Mets had but Syndergaard hated throwing to him.  

Some do some don't. 

12 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I guess that's where we would agree to disagree. I don't think it matters all that much. A good/great pitcher will do well regardless of who's behind the plate. 

Good luck finding a pitcher who agrees with you. The notion that only offense matters is old school and largely disproved although calling a game is still difficult to quantify in value. But the difference between a .220 hitter and a .250 hitter isn’t much. 

53 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Agree to disagree @Stradling I just prefer someone who can put the ball in play. Most MLB catchers can play the position relatively well. 

I prefer to have a catcher that upper half of the league defensively/handling pitchers, etc.

Getting one that also is upper half offensively is a very, very tough ask.

They are too rare.

Gotta remember that overall team offense matters more than offense from your catcher specifically, and the bottom line is it is easier to pick up the extra offense needed to make your overall team offense good enough at another position.