• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Best FA catchers still unsigned

Angel Oracle

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I prefer to have a catcher that upper half of the league defensively/handling pitchers, etc.

Getting one that also is upper half offensively is a very, very tough ask.

They are too rare.

Gotta remember that overall team offense matters more than offense from your catcher specifically, and the bottom line is it is easier to pick up the extra offense needed to make your overall team offense good enough at another position.

At 33 is Maldonado still upper half defensively?

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Look I have no issue with your interest in having an offensive stud catcher who is a defensive whiz.  But that’s a unicorn.

Do you want to trade Adell for Realmuto?

No since he was already traded to Phillies. But yes I think trading for him at the time would have been amazing. This offense isn’t sufficient as is. I don’t know what else to say if you disagree then it is what it is. 

Just now, Kevinb said:

You think at 33 he’s going to repeat his 781 ops for Houston than his career 644 ops or his season with the Angels at 616? 

I had no idea what his OPS was either year but if you ask me if he’s more likely to perform like last year or three years ago the obvious answer is last year. Now if last year was an outlier then I’d say look at his career norms. 

Just now, Stradling said:

I had no idea what his OPS was either year but if you ask me if he’s more likely to perform like last year or three years ago the obvious answer is last year. Now if last year was an outlier then I’d say look at his career norms. 

Ok thank you. You should look at his splits. He was at 657 ops in Kansas City. Then in 24 games with Houston had a 781. Yea that’s not happening again. If that doesn’t show the rest of the league Houston was doing something on the side I don’t know what more proof you need. Anyway I think we’ve beat this enough we both know each other’s position. You want Maldonado and I do not.  

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

Ok thank you. You should look at his splits. He was at 657 ops in Kansas City. Then in 24 games with Houston had a 781. Yea that’s not happening again. If that doesn’t show the rest of the league Houston was doing something on the side I don’t know what more proof you need. Anyway I think we’ve beat this enough we both know each other’s position. You want Maldonado and I do not.  

I don’t care if we get him I just understand the value pitchers see in catchers. And I won’t let my personal bias cloud my judgement.  Once again I still think we trade for a catcher. 

3 minutes ago, RBM said:

Gerrit Cole shows just what can be done with a personal catcher

By Kevin Kernan

October 6, 2019 | 3:05am

“Back to the communication, like we’re — and this is not to exclude [the other catchers], I think, obviously, he protects the running game quite well, which is why he’s the manager’s preference. He’s so fun to work with, the communication that we have. We’re very honest with each other.”

Noted Cole of Maldonado, “He’ll come in and tell me that, you know, ‘You’re full of it, that was a stupid pitch.’ And I’ll come in and tell him, ‘You’re full of it, that was a stupid call.’

“To be able to have that conversation and be serious but have, like, some lightheartedness to it and know that it’s not personal, that’s pretty cool,’’ Cole said.

...Some quotes from Gerrit Cole on his personal catcher. 

Sign Maldonado immediately.  

7 hours ago, Kevinb said:

We had Maldonado at 30 he will now be 33 I don't want any part of anything to do with a 33 year old catcher. 

what's wrong with an excellent defensive catcher splitting time with whomever else we have at catcher? he can't catch 800 innings because he's 33, 34?

edit: forget it. i see that you've been round and round already.