• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

10 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Mike Trout is the CF therefore he couldnt replace Pujols at 1b. La Stella played 3b or 2nd base just about daily after Cozart left the lineup therefore he couldn't  play at 1b.

If La Stella replaces Pujols at 1b  (based on my reading on this board La Stella has played a grand total of 1 game at 1b) then Fletcher plays 3b so Rengifro must play 2b.  Therefore it isnt La Stella replacing Pujols it is Rengifro!

Like I said they havent had anyone push Pujols out of the lineup yet.  It very well could happen in 2020.  With Rendon at 3b then Fletcher can play 2b and if La Stella can field 1b he could replace Pujols.  That is if fielding a new position doesn't impact his hitting.

There is also Thaiss and Welsh.

If La Stella has played 2B and 3B he can almost certainly play 1B.

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

says who?

Says Julio Teheran and Dylan Bundy.  It’s very apparent Eppler is getting fired if the team doesn’t win next season.  And with the rotation we have, we won’t be winning anything besides 3rd place in the AL West if we’re lucky.

4 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Says Julio Teheran and Dylan Bundy.  It’s very apparent Eppler is getting fired if the team doesn’t win next season.  And with the rotation we have, we won’t be winning anything besides 3rd place in the AL West if we’re lucky.

Teheran and Bundy can't fire Eppler.

22 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Eppler has now lost all leverage in trades.  Everyone knows how desperate we are, and we now have no other choice but to overpay in a trade.  It’s going to cost a lot more than we’d like to give up.

We have five starters. That’s not desperation.

I think we need another starter, but it might have to come later in the season. 

10 minutes ago, nando714 said:

After sleeping on it 

how the hell did billy leave free agency not signing an impact starter pitcher when our clear need was pitching 

Arte went for the headlines again a la Josh Hamilton / Albert Pujols and signed a big name bat, yet again 

And the Billy defenders laughed at anyone who said that this was case at the time of the Rendon signing.

Just wait until we trade for David Price and people start telling us how he’ll go back to that ace form of is... oh wait that’s already happening.

This organization is a dumpster fire 

11 hours ago, Angels_Fan said:
11 hours ago, Lou said:

ok, I'll play.

put together a package that would entice Cleveland to send us Lindor and Clevinger. 

Lindor isn’t necessary. The putting together a package for Clevinger part is up to Eppler. He’s the GM. The Angels surely have something that can entice Cleveland, right?

I don't understand why Cleveland would ever be motivated to move Clevinger. I get it with Lindor...he'll be a free agent after 2021 and he's going to get very rich. He's already very expensive just by way of arbitration. But Clevinger is just entering arbitration now and is under control through 2022.

That said, if Cleveland is using Clevinger as a way to get a significant return for a trade that everyone knows they have to make, then I would love for the Angels to be in on it. And I wouldn't go about it with the usual "gaggle of prospects" approach. I'd offer a couple of higher-end prospects and I'd also offer Simmons. I realize this might sound foolish. Teams looking to shed high-ticket players don't ordinarily look for veterans who get paid well. But Simmons would give Cleveland a more than viable replacement for Lindor and he'll also offer much more cost certainty. Simmons is a free agent after 2020 but he isn't going to get a ton of money. My guess is he either gets a "show-me" one-year contract in the order of what Gregorious got from Philly or he gets a three or four-year contract or extension for a similar and maybe even lower yearly rate. Lindor's going to get more than that in each of his last two arbitration seasons and then walk away for nothing.

So yeah, I doubt it'll happen, but if a package of let's say Marsh and another high-end prospect not named Adell, plus Simmons, and plus an arm going back a'la Canning can get you a front of the rotation starter and arguably the best shortstop in the game (albeit for just a couple of years), it's a no-brainer.

PS: please don't take my post as some sort of thing against Simmons. I love Simba. He is a joy to watch play shortstop. He's arguably the best defensive shortstop since Ozzie and that's just plain fun to see every day. But if the option exists to exchange Simmons for Lindor, I'll help Simba pack and even drive him to the airport.

11 hours ago, Angels_Fan said:
12 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yes of course.  The conversation starts with Adell.  Or possibly Marsh, Canning and a lotto ticket like Jackson or Maitan or Adams. 

The Angels need an ace/top of the rotation arms. They should part with Marsh and Canning, if necessary.

Again, I don't understand why Cleveland is looking to deal Clevinger. However, if the Angels can get him for Marsh, Canning, and Jackson, then the only reason Eppler doesn't say "yes" right away is because he wants to put Mike Chernoff on hold so he can do a celebratory dance a'la Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill in the movie "Moneyball" before doing so.

5 hours ago, RBM said:

Hi Bill,

How are you doing tonight? It's nice to hear from you again.

So Fletcher and $30 M?

Price is owed $96 M so the Angels would pay Price $22 M per year for the next three years?

I think your Joisey boys and you would say that's too much for a Price in decline.

Maybe the Yankees do that deal for Clint Frazier or Luke Voit and $30 M

Unlike the angels though, the Yankees have real quality starters. So I doubt they'd be interested. But hey I was just passing the news along. 

Heck, not being from the West coast maybe Angels fans don't care about winning as much as we all do in the east. I don't know what to think after reading some of these posts.

who in their right mind would trade Lindor AND Clevenger for Adell and Marsh. As it stands Mike Trout himself couldn't get Lindor and Clevenger. Cleveland is only trading them cause they are trying to save payroll and the Dodgers have better prospects to offer

8 hours ago, totdprods said:
8 hours ago, TroutField said:

Mets aren’t open to trading pitching and we don’t match up well in a trade but damn we really could use Stroman 

Bet they’d listen if the Angels were offering up two SPs like two of Sandoval, Barria and Suarez, and a solid hitting prospect. 

Big overpay first a rental but Stroman seems like he’d be a fairly good extension candidate. Just offer him something between Keuchel/Ryu and Wheeler.

Actually, the Mets and Angels line up pretty well for a trade. I live in Jersey and I get a lot of NYC sports-talk radio and news so I know the Mutts and Stankees pretty well. The Mets are in desperate need of a true center-fielder. They have four outfielders that are all decent or better in Comforto, Cespedes, Nimmo, and JD Davis but none of them are center-fielders.

Also, I think the Mets would be open to trading pitching. Sure, as the old saying goes, you can never have too much pitching, but the Mets probably have too much pitching now. With the additions of Porcello and Wacha to the back of the rotation, they Mets now have seven quality starting pitchers; even with the departure of Wheeler. deGrom, Syndergaard, and Stroman are as good a front-three as there is. Matz, Porcello, and Wacha makes six. Seth Lugo is a starter but he's being sent back to the pen. He's already expressed his displeasure with the move. And Giselman was originally a starter.

Furthermore, these aren't the Angels' pitchers. The Halos had a heck of a lot of starters last season but only because of all the injuries and tragedy. Porcello, Stroman, Matz, Syndergaard, and deGrom all pitched over 160 innings last season. And going back years previous. Wacha seems to be trending back in that direction after his injuries woes of 2018-19. And there's no reason to believe Lugo can't do the same. These guys are all going to want to pitch and there are just so many starts to go around.

The Mets have flirted with trading Syndergaard numerous times before. I think their belief is they'll never be able to afford him when he hits free agency. Now that they've lost Wheeler, another pitcher they openly pursued trading several times, for nothing, they're likely to be more motivated to move Thor. Brandon Marsh is a true center-fielder whose stock has risen a lot in the last six months or so. I think that's enough of a framework for a substantive discussion to be had. I certainly hope that Eppler is having those talks. More so than all the talks we keep hearing about Boston and David price.

Edited by Ariamus

Cleveland wanted Marsh plus another of our top 10 prospects for Kluber.  The Mets aren't going to take the same package (plus perhaps 1 or 2 more lesser prospects) for Syndergaard.

Again, start with Adell and and continue adding other players.

18 minutes ago, Lou said:

Cleveland wanted Marsh plus another of our top 10 prospects for Kluber.  The Mets aren't going to take the same package (plus perhaps 1 or 2 more lesser prospects) for Syndergaard.

Again, start with Adell and and continue adding other players.

Trading Adell for an oft injured pitcher screams bad idea. 

28 minutes ago, Ariamus said:

Actually, the Mets and Angels line up pretty well for a trade. I live in Jersey and I get a lot of NYC sports-talk radio and news so I know the Mutts and Stankees pretty well. The Mets are in desperate need of a true center-fielder. They have four outfielders that are all decent or better in Comforto, Cespedes, Nimmo, and JD Davis but none of them are center-fielders.

Also, I think the Mets would be open to trading pitching. Sure, as the old saying goes, you can never have too much pitching, but the Mets probably have too much pitching now. With the additions of Porcello and Wacha to the back of the rotation, they Mets now have seven quality starting pitchers; even with the departure of Wheeler. deGrom, Syndergaard, and Stroman are as good a front-three as there is. Matz, Porcello, and Wacha makes six. Seth Lugo is a starter but he's being sent back to the pen. He's already expressed his displeasure with the move. And Giselman was originally a starter.

Furthermore, these aren't the Angels' pitchers. The Halos had a heck of a lot of starters last season but only because of all the injuries and tragedy. Porcello, Stroman, Matz, Syndergaard, and deGrom all pitched over 160 innings last season. And going back years previous. Wacha seems to be trending back in that direction after his injuries woes of 2018-19. And there's no reason to believe Lugo can't do the same. These guys are all going to want to pitch and there are just so many starts to go around.

The Mets have flirted with trading Syndergaard numerous times before. I think their belief is they'll never be able to afford him when he hits free agency. Now that they've lost Wheeler, another pitcher they openly pursued trading several times, for nothing, they're likely to be more motivated to move Thor. Brandon Marsh is a true center-fielder whose stock has risen a lot in the last six months or so. I think that's enough of a framework for a substantive discussion to be had. I certainly hope that Eppler is having those talks. More so than all the talks we keep hearing about Boston and David price.

That may have been true under the Wilpons  but recently billionaire Steve Cohen announced he's buying the Mets. And they also recently traded for C.F. Jake Marisnick. So it's likely that unless the Angels are offering Trout there's no traction there