• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Both Cole and Strasburg?

stanick88

pitchers2.jpg

This is crazy talk, I know. But, is it possible to sign both Cole and Strasburg this offseason? That way we may try some smaller trades to fill the rest of our needs and then see where we are in terms for spending on other free agents. 

A rotation started with then would instantly give us a chance to compete for a playoff run (On paper).  We could then try and swing a trade such as with the Giants and try and take Samardzija off their hands and maybe even offload Cozart (Granted we may have to give up some prospects). 

I wonder if Arte could push a payroll like that. Or even if we could make some roster and financial moves to make this possible. I know this is fantasy, but it may also be possible and our best bet at contending quickly. Thoughts? 

26 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

This is crazy talk, I know. But, is it possible to sign both Cole and Strasburg this offseason? That way we may try some smaller trades to fill the rest of our needs and then see where we are in terms for spending on other free agents. 

A rotation started with then would instantly give us a chance to compete for a playoff run (On paper).  We could then try and swing a trade such as with the Giants and try and take Samardzija off their hands and maybe even offload Cozart (Granted we may have to give up some prospects). 

I wonder if Arte could push a payroll like that. Or even if we could make some roster and financial moves to make this possible. I know this is fantasy, but it may also be possible and our best bet at contending quickly. Thoughts? 

possible? absolutely! 

likely? highly doubtful but hope they'll give it a shot.

certainly fun to think about.

If this rotation started with Cole, Strasburg and Ohtani......I mean the batters might as well just stay in the freakin dugout with their dicks in their hands because nothing is going to happen with a bat.

Having said that, no, I don't think that's possible. Angels figure to be 65 million under the luxury tax and Arte has said he won't approach that number, even while increasing payroll. Strasburg and Cole could cost 60 million alone, and that would leave no room for a catcher or platoon 1B.

By most estimates, with an increase in payroll, you're still looking at being able to spend around 50-55 million total. If you figure the Angels are more focused on pitching, that immediately removed them from the running on upper tier bats like Grandal or Rendon. 

Let's just say for the sake of simplification, they can spend 55 and need to set aside 10 for a catcher and 1B. That leaves 45 million to acquire two, maybe three starting pitchers. Gerrit Cole will be the first, and he's going to 32 million, but if they backloaded the crap out of that deal, they may get him for 25 next year, leaving 20 available. 20 will get you a Wheeler/Odorizzi type and I think that's who we can expect the Angels to sign.

Now you could say, maybe that backloaded the Strasburg and Cole deals so they could afford them both in 2020. Sure, they could do that. But that just means in 2025 they'll have something insane like 75 million tied up in two pitchers in their mid-30's with Vladito hitting free agency.

Not a good plan.

2 hours ago, stanick88 said:

If we signed both of them we wouldn't need to trade for anymore pitching, we would be set. We could try and trade for a catcher but that's about all we would need. Although the chances of signing them both will a very long shot at best...

Just now, RBM said:

It's unlikely but he definitely could and still stay below the cap and have room to upgrade at catcher.

Those numbers you quoted are not the AAV/Luxury Tax dollars. Pujols is at $24 M not $29 M. And Trout is at $35.4 M not $37.6 M. And the Angels are currently $80 M below the cap.

I think if you project in arbitration raises, we are likely somewhere around 55-60mil or so below the cap.

IMO, Cole will command 32-35mil AAV and Strasburg 27-30mil AAV.  

currently at 154m for next year if we keep everyone currently on the roster.  That already includes benefits.  

subtract bour, garcia maybe Trop, and that's another 6m or so.  So around 148.  The tax is at 208.  

It would be nearly impossible to add both and not go over the tax.  

And we're not adding a legit third starter.  Maybe some sort of reclamation project on a minor league deal or near league min as the 3rd guy.  

52 minutes ago, RBM said:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/los-angeles-angels/payroll/

$77 M below the CBTT when you remove Bour, Garcia, Tropeano and Smith.

Their numbers don't make sense or are missing some key components.  

They show 101.7m in total aav for Trout, Pujols, Upton, Simmons, Cozart.  

Then they have 27m in arb estimates but their total aav payroll is only 121.2m.  Doesn't add up right.  I think what they did was add Kole and Petit to the 101.7 or something.  

The roster resource number is spot on.  

+101.7m aav for existing players under contract.  
+1m for Kole's buyout
+27m for arb estimates 
+8.3m for pre arb players (could be a little less)
+2.25 for salaries of minor league players not on the 40 man
+15m for benefits.  (could be a little less)
=155.25m

-8m or so if you let Bour, Trop, Smith, Garcia go.  but you add about 2m back assuming the 4 players you add to replace them for now are league min.  

puts them at about 150 relative to the luxury tax or about 58m below the tax.  

Total actual payroll right now without those arb guys is about 145m.  

Add about 40-45 to that for actual payroll.  Cole at 25m in his first year leaves you about 15-20 to finish the rest of the team with a payroll near 190m.  If Cole has an aav of 33m then you have another 25m before you hit the tax.  Assume the remaining 15m in actual is the AAV as well and you're already only 10m under the tax (the addition of benefits makes the number go up pretty quick).  

I think we’re getting a little greedy expecting Arte to pony up for two frontline pitchers. Trout doubles his salary this year. Pujols, Upton and Simmons all get raises. I remember when they stretched the limit to sign Cody Allen. We will be extremely fortunate to get one frontline pitcher and it may not be Cole. They have other holes.

Edited by Calzone 2