• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels free agent targets not named Cole, Strasburg (if he opts out), or Rendon?

Who else do you think the Angels can pick up that will help the team that is not named  Cole, Rendon, or Strasburg? I think bringing back Joe Smith on a 1-year deal or even 2-year deal that is worth about $8 million would be fine. Will Harris could also be another free agent target for the Angels. Coming off a great season for the Astros. 

Wheeler, MadBum, and Odorizzi might be the next three pitchers after Cole and Strasburg.   

Based on what Arenado got (7 years/$260 million and starting that contract two years younger than Rendon when Rendon becoming a FA), Rendon is probably going to get at least 6 years/$225 million from someone.  

Edited by Angel Oracle

I'd like to see the Angels grab a veteran pitcher that can serve as the captain of the pitching staff. We have a lot of young pitchers that really need guidance. A pitching coach like Mickey Calloway would go a long way in helping those young guys like Barria, Suarez, Sandoval and Canning.

But a guy like Cole Hamels could come in and make a really big impact with many of them. Showing them how to conduct yourself as a major leaguer, show that even if you don't have front of the rotation stuff, you can tailor fit your game to fit your current skill set. Hamels was once an ace and he's still an incredibly effective pitcher despite depleted arsenal because he's changed how he pitches, and knows how to prepare.

I hope people realize what they'd be getting in Odorizzi.  He averaged 5.1 ip. per start this year.  So he's already on that track of being limited in facing batting orders more than 2 times around.  

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a solid/good pitcher, but he's not gonna be close to 180 innings or even 170.  The last three years he's been at a similar pace to 2019.  

I definitely wouldn't go to 4 years for him so if he's in the 3/33 range then fine, but I think someone is going to give him more than that and I really don't want it to be the Angels.  

I really don't think they'll make any substantial investments into the pen

Robles, Buttrey, Middleton, Anderson, Bedrosian, Noe Ramirez will be the top 6 and guys like Bard, Taylor Cole, and a couple others will fill in the rest.  I think we'll see Billy make some waiver moves here like he normally does because he's had success there and even passed on a couple guys in Hudson and Yates due to roster crunches.  My guess is that Eppler can find more guys like that without spending.  If anything, he'll spend a couple mil on a guy like David Phelps or Jeremy Jeffress.  Someone who's out there as a bit of a leftover toward the end of the FA period.  

SP outside of Cole is gonna be interesting.  There are a ton of options and I've made it known that Wheeler would be my first choice but they might not want to afford him.  I'm steering clear of Stras.  I just don't think he'll be worth the money.  

They have to address catcher.  Eppler did a nice job in bargain shopping with Maldonado but everyone else he's brought in has been pretty bad.  very bad actually.  I'll be pretty disappointed if they don't upgrade and just end up with a Stassi/Smith platoon.  

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

I'd like to see the Angels grab a veteran pitcher that can serve as the captain of the pitching staff. We have a lot of young pitchers that really need guidance. A pitching coach like Mickey Calloway would go a long way in helping those young guys like Barria, Suarez, Sandoval and Canning.

But a guy like Cole Hamels could come in and make a really big impact with many of them. Showing them how to conduct yourself as a major leaguer, show that even if you don't have front of the rotation stuff, you can tailor fit your game to fit your current skill set. Hamels was once an ace and he's still an incredibly effective pitcher despite depleted arsenal because he's changed how he pitches, and knows how to prepare.

the thing about Hamels that's a bit problematic is that he'll want a pretty high dollar amount over two years which means you can't really back load his salary to when after Albert is gone.  I think that could limit the Angels pursuit of him and they may opt for a guy who's money they can spread over 3-4 years.  

But for all the reasons you mentioned, I think Hamels is a solid option.  He's also a guy though that averaged about 5.1ip per start so they are going to limit him.  Since he pitched under Maddon for the last two years, I think the Angels will either go hard after him or not at all depending on Joe's input.  

Odorizzi had a very good season in '19, but over the length of his career he has been little better than average. I strongly suspect that he will be overpaid. Not really interested unless we can get him for less than 45/3.
Wheeler, as has been mentioned, would be like getting a healthy Garrett Richards that can consistently give us six innings. Sign me up for this guy.

Edited by Fish Oil

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

the thing about Hamels that's a bit problematic is that he'll want a pretty high dollar amount over two years which means you can't really back load his salary to when after Albert is gone.  I think that could limit the Angels pursuit of him and they may opt for a guy who's money they can spread over 3-4 years.  

But for all the reasons you mentioned, I think Hamels is a solid option.  He's also a guy though that averaged about 5.1ip per start so they are going to limit him.  Since he pitched under Maddon for the last two years, I think the Angels will either go hard after him or not at all depending on Joe's input.  

Looking at it now, I'm not sure Hamels is the right target. He was garbage after his injury and his numbers are skewed by his inexplicable performance at Wrigley and against the NL Central. In the AL West, his performance left a lot to be desired.

Looking at MadBum vs Wheeler, Wheeler has pitched some 1200 fewer MLB innings than MadBum (post-season included).    Strange enough though, MadBum is only some 9 months older than Wheeler.

If MadBum commands a fair price (say 4 years/$70 million), I would lean towards signing him instead of Wheeler, for the wealth of experience that MadBum would bring with him. 

The one caveat would be that it would give the Halos a lot of LHPs (MadBum, Heaney, Sandoval, Suarez, and Peters) in the depth chart.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Looking at MadBum vs Wheeler, Wheeler has pitched some 1200 fewer MLB innings than MadBum (post-season included).    Strange enough though, MadBum is only some 9 months older than Wheeler.

If MadBum commands a fair price (say 4 years/$70 million), I would lean towards signing him instead of Wheeler, for the wealth of experience that MadBum would bring with him. 

The one caveat would be that it would give the Halos a lot of LHPs (MadBum, Heaney, Sandoval, Suarez, and Peters) in the depth chart.

Couldn't you argue more mileage on Bumgarner's arm is more of a reason to go with Wheeler?

Bum has a lot of mileage on an arm that relies on high fastballs. Hamels shouldn’t get more than a one year contract. Odorizzi had his best season in his walk year not worth more than two years. 

On another note, Marsh should be untouchable since he may turn out to be better than Adell, who is definitely untouchable.