• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Predict Cole contract

Dtwncbad

39 minutes ago, Revad said:

7 years/$225 million with a player opt-out after 4 years $140 million.  December 15.

Doubtful. Angels would have to backload the contract, and it’s doubtful Cole would be interested in an opt out unless it was 2-3 years. But that would require front loading, and the Angels can’t do that or they’ll get no other quality pitchers.

14 minutes ago, TheUPSman said:

I posted this in another thread about hoping Cole choked game 5 and of course he didn't but an MLB annalist thinks Cole could be the first 40 mil a year pitcher and with Boras as his agent he could very well get it.

Not a chance. 35 would be the absolute most, and that's a stretch. Compare what everyone was saying about Bryce and Manny. They didn't come close to contract expectations. Analysts get paid for hot takes. There's not a chance he gets over 35 unless a lot is deferred. Even then, it won't be much over. 

Boras as an agent is overrated. His success in recent years has diminished substantially. He used to be hot stuff for two reasons:

First, people didn't know enough to recognize his client pitch was full of crap - front offices are far smarter now. They have their value for the player set and don't usually go much beyond it.

Second, more importantly, Boras went straight to the owners as much as possible. These days, with Illitch and Steinbrenner gone and the Nats working on keeping Strasburg, there aren't enough owners who want to go big to bid against each other. 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:59 AM, Sean-Regan said:

Not a chance. 35 would be the absolute most, and that's a stretch. Compare what everyone was saying about Bryce and Manny. They didn't come close to contract expectations. Analysts get paid for hot takes. There's not a chance he gets over 35 unless a lot is deferred. Even then, it won't be much over. 

Boras as an agent is overrated. His success in recent years has diminished substantially. He used to be hot stuff for two reasons:

First, people didn't know enough to recognize his client pitch was full of crap - front offices are far smarter now. They have their value for the player set and don't usually go much beyond it.

Second, more importantly, Boras went straight to the owners as much as possible. These days, with Illitch and Steinbrenner gone and the Nats working on keeping Strasburg, there aren't enough owners who want to go big to bid against each other. 

Weave will always get major points for going against Boras, when signing the hometown discount extension with the Halos.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:33 PM, Sean-Regan said:

If it’s with us, nom because we would have to backload the contract. So I don’t think we could make that work. That’s assuming Cole even wants to come here after the latest report. 

Why exactly do you say the Angels would have to backload a contract?

54 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Why exactly do you say the Angels would have to backload a contract?

They won't be able to afford 35mil (or more if it was frontloaded) based on their payroll unless Arte goes berserk with the budget. They'd have to pass on Cole and go with someone else. That, or look for another pitcher on the trade market. But that would damage the team's future. I tend to doubt they go that route.

57 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

They won't be able to afford 35mil (or more if it was frontloaded) based on their payroll unless Arte goes berserk with the budget. They'd have to pass on Cole and go with someone else. That, or look for another pitcher on the trade market. But that would damage the team's future. I tend to doubt they go that route.

Actually, 35 million would put them at 169 million, roughly. Arte has kept the payroll at 160-170 million for a while.

I don't think Cole gets $35 anyway.

10 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Actually, 35 million would put them at 169 million, roughly. Arte has kept the payroll at 160-170 million for a while.

I don't think Cole gets $35 anyway.

That’s why I said that theoretically they could do that, but only if that’s their only acquisition in free agency or Arte opens his wallet. Guys with opt outs in their contracts usually have front loaded deals. Hence the 35mil.

Regardless, if they sign Cole, it will probably be backloaded. 

5 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

Thanks for explaining your thoughts.  I personally don’t see any need to backload.  They just need to decide if they want to pay what it takes to get him.  Also the player may be quite interested in not backloading, especially if they have any interest in working in an opt out.