• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Predict Cole contract

Dtwncbad

14 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Thanks for explaining your thoughts.  I personally don’t see any need to backload.  They just need to decide if they want to pay what it takes to get him.  Also the player may be quite interested in not backloading, especially if they have any interest in working in an opt out.

Lot of players don’t care about opt outs. 

The only reason we wouldn’t backload it is if Arte is planning to spend a lot of money this season. Even then, I’m skeptical. Pujols will be 30aav off the books after 2020-21. That’s a ton. Arte cares about his yearly payroll. Unless Cole insists on an opt out (I doubt it, it’ll just cost Arte more), it’ll almost certainly be backloaded. 

Wade Miley predicts Cole going to the Angels for at least $250 million

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3978559002?__twitter_impression=true

“We know he wants to be a West Coast guy,’’ Reddick says. “He’s a California guy, so he probably wants to be close to home. I know he mentioned Oakland a couple of times because of how he’s pitched there in the past.

“But that probably won’t happen. They’d have to clear the whole roster to afford him.

“It makes you wonder what teams are going to be able to afford him, because there’s so many teams that can’t afford somebody like that.’’

Predictions, anyone?

“I got the Angels,’’ Miley says, “and paying him at least $250 million.’’

And sticking a dagger into the Yankees’ hearts one final time.

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

but Clod said he wants to play for the yankees.  

He’s very competitive and wants to play in lot of postseason games. His next contract will most likely be front loaded and include an opt out. The team that signs him had better be prepared to win now because he loves the big stage. 

2 hours ago, TheUPSman said:

7/245 with a full no trade/no opt out.

Pulled this little snippet from the usa today ad because it blew my mind.

In his last 24 starts, Cole is 18-0 with a 1.66 ERA and 251 strikeouts in 162⅓ innings. 

Carl Hubbell holds the MLB record with 24 straight wins without a loss (1936-1937).   

That 1.66 ERA in today's game is sicker than a disease.

31 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

He’s very competitive and wants to play in lot of postseason games. His next contract will most likely be front loaded and include an opt out. The team that signs him had better be prepared to win now because he loves the big stage. 

you don't know anything about what he loves.  

He made a business decision to choose college over playing for your storied Yankees.  

27 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

you don't know anything about what he loves.  

He made a business decision to choose college over playing for your storied Yankees.  

Well he said it. He wants to win rings and he loves playing in the postseason. 

Brandon Crawford, who just so happens to have a couple of World Series rings in his jewelry box.

“That’s what I want,’’ Cole says. “I think about it all of the time."

New York. Cold weather,’’ he says. “It will feel very Octoberish. That’s when you’ve got to perform your best, in October.

"It’s the biggest stage. And it’s the most fun. I just wish it could be the postseason all of the time.

7 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Well he said it. He wants to win rings and he loves playing in the postseason. 

Brandon Crawford, who just so happens to have a couple of World Series rings in his jewelry box.

“That’s what I want,’’ Cole says. “I think about it all of the time."

New York. Cold weather,’’ he says. “It will feel very Octoberish. That’s when you’ve got to perform your best, in October.

"It’s the biggest stage. And it’s the most fun. I just wish it could be the postseason all of the time.

And, of course, the Angels will never reach the postseason in the next 7 years with him in the rotation...and the Yankees will always reach it with him in the rotation...or something.

3 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

And, of course, the Angels will never reach the postseason in the next 7 years with him in the rotation...and the Yankees will always reach it with him in the rotation...or something.

No one is suggesting that. Cole is on top of his game playing on a winning club right now. There are many options out there for him to consider if winning is his top priority. We will all find out together where he ends up. 

Just now, Calzone 2 said:

No one is suggesting that. Cole is on top of his game playing on a winning club right now. There are many options out there for him to consider if winning is his top priority. We will all find out together where he ends up. 

Despite your "subtle" allusions, the point of your posts are to say if Cole cares about playing in the postseason, he won't sign with the Angels since YOU believe they won't be competitive in the next three years, at the earliest.

Most are hugely under-estimating his contract. Anything below $200M is laughable - and that's probably way too low.

Upthread I predicted 8/248. I might go down by a year back to 7, but then up per year, somewhere in the $33-35M a year range. All told, I see the ranges being:

7-8 years

$33-35M per year.

That's anywhere from 7/$231M to 8/$280M. My new, adjusted prediction is 7/$245M.

Edited by Angelsjunky

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Most are hugely under-estimating his contract. Not a chance in hell he gets less than 7 years, $30 million - so 7/210 would be the baseline, and that is almost certainly way too low. 

Upthread I predicted 8/248. I might go down by a year back to 7, but then up per year, somewhere in the $33-35M a year range. All told, I see the ranges being:

7-8 years

$33-35M per year.

That's anywhere from 7/$231M to 8/$280M. My new, adjusted prediction is 7/$245M.

I feel like we went through a similar exercise prior to the 2019 off season with Trout ending up at 35.5m aav, Harper at 27.5m aav, and Machado at 32m aav.  

I still feel like the market has changed in terms of long term contracts and especially for pitchers.  The high payroll teams have been generally reluctant to go beyond a certain point in terms of years even though they seem fine with higher AAVs.  

I still think he ends up at 7 years and a shade more than Price.  But I don't think he gets 35m per.  

24 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Despite your "subtle" allusions, the point of your posts are to say if Cole cares about playing in the postseason, he won't sign with the Angels since YOU believe they won't be competitive in the next three years, at the earliest.

Well you’re convinced that we’re good and I’m not. That’s life. 

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:07 AM, ettin said:

To-date, Zack Greinke has the highest AAV at $34M over a 6-year deal. I believe Cole will crack that AAV at $35M per so....

7 years, $245M ($35M AAV per season), with a $5M signing bonus, for a total of $250M.

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Most are hugely under-estimating his contract. Anything below $200M is laughable - and that's probably way too low.

7-8 years

$33-35M per year.

Nice to see you coming around AJ 😄 !!!!

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I feel like we went through a similar exercise prior to the 2019 off season with Trout ending up at 35.5m aav, Harper at 27.5m aav, and Machado at 32m aav.  

I still feel like the market has changed in terms of long term contracts and especially for pitchers.  The high payroll teams have been generally reluctant to go beyond a certain point in terms of years even though they seem fine with higher AAVs.  

I still think he ends up at 7 years and a shade more than Price.  But I don't think he gets 35m per.  

My prediction is about 7/224-231ish. If the market goes up, he could get as much as 245, but I see that as the max. 

1 minute ago, Calzone 2 said:

Well you’re convinced that we’re good and I’m not. That’s life. 

No, I never said I'm "convinced" they are good, you just assumed that bit yourself...I know you like to wade into the deep end of Lake Hyperbole but I don't operate in extremes.

Could they be good?  Sure, they have the pieces in place to complete if everyone is healthy.  They could also be bad again.  I can entertain both conflicting thoughts in my head at the same time.

Question, for the record: do you think Cole signs with the Angels?

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

Nice to see you coming around AJ 😄 !!!!

I don’t see him getting less than Price. That would be the floor, I’d think. Greinke’s is interesting because of how much is deferred. Still, 35 seems awfully high to me, for a guy who doesn’t have as long a history as Price did of success. Cole’s had two insane years. 

Things could go way up, but 32ish will probably be about right, I’m thinking