• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Buster Olney on Eppler, Arte, and the Red Sox

Pancake Bear

Just now, eligrba said:

Seriously?  You can't possibly connect those dots with any credible evidence.

Well if we are being honest our single best draft and possibly the best draft in the history of baseball is when he was the GM, that was followed by one of the worst drafts we have ever had.

3 minutes ago, failos said:

I will say that I would rather keep Eppler if Boston is clamoring for him

Red Sox Nation would have Eppler’s head on a stick with a 4th place finish. It’s a completely different environment with a lot of pressure to win. The Sox, Celtics, Bruins and Patriots are all under a microscope. Their fans are relentless. 

Just now, failos said:

Probably not. But as a fan I care about seeing a winning team, and they were winning under Reagins. Now, he’s obviously not better than Eppler, but he was forced to make questionable moves due to Arte’s insistence.

I get it, and if we are going to judge a GM by the results on the field, that happened while they were the GM then Reagins would be second behind Stoneman.  Look at Stoneman’s drafts, look at Reagins drafts.  Hell people hated Mike Port and he has a better draft record than Stoneman and it isn’t even close.

So if we give guys like Reagins a free pass or Dipoto a free pass because of Arte’s interference by signing Albert (which isn’t completely on Arte even in the slightest) or Josh (ditto) or him forcing Reagins for trading for Wells.  Then shouldn’t Eppler be given the same free pass for Arte not spending for a couple of years, and unwillingness to spend more to get out of the problems he created?

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So if we give guys like Reagins a free pass or Dipoto a free pass because of Arte’s interference by signing Albert (which isn’t completely on Arte even in the slightest) or Josh (ditto) or him forcing Reagins for trading for Wells.  Then shouldn’t Eppler be given the same free pass for Arte not spending for a couple of years, and unwillingness to spend more to get out of the problems he created?

I’m certainly not giving those guys a free pass. Dipoto made some very damaging moves independent of signing Pujols and Hamilton. Dipoto is a trash fire of a GM—Reagins is better imo

2 minutes ago, failos said:

I was under the impression that Arte really wanted Vernon Wells, no?

Everyone I have ever asked about it working for other teams says that when Reagins butchered the Crawford situation he was told to make sure he got something done.   When teams got wind of it they started to seek out Reagins in hopes of getting a deal done.   How much of that was heresay I dunno, but people in Cinci, Boston, and NYY all had the same story -- Wells wasn't the actual target so much as he the end result.

30 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Honestly, the difference between Stoneman and Eppler is Stoneman had the open check book to sign Vladdy, Colon, Guillen and Escobar. If Eppler signed Escobar people would lose their shit because of how often he was injured.  They would lose their shit about Colon and his drop off.  Or the fact that Colon had one year of the four with an ERA+ over 100.  Eppler has been better at drafting.  And neither of trade significant prospects.  Sure Stoneman signed Weaver, but times were different then and you could go way over slot to sign a guy and it didn’t affect your ability to sign other draftees.  They say a lot of the time it is the next guy that gets the praise, that will probably be the case here as well, sadly.  

Stoneman also inherited a great scouting staff.  Eppler basically had to start over with nothing.

5 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I don't care if Eppler stays or goes.  If Eppler feels like he has more opportunities elsewhere than I wish him well.  This seems like the same conversation everyone had about Trout and leaving.

Ok, but let’s say Eppler wants to stay. How much more time do you give him before you make the change? He’s had 4 years: did some good, some bad.

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So if we give guys like Reagins a free pass or Dipoto a free pass because of Arte’s interference by signing Albert (which isn’t completely on Arte even in the slightest) or Josh (ditto) or him forcing Reagins for trading for Wells.  Then shouldn’t Eppler be given the same free pass for Arte not spending for a couple of years, and unwillingness to spend more to get out of the problems he created?

You are wasting your time.   

I don't mean this as a slight towards you, or the people you are arguing with but the sort of person that bases everything on results and ignores the bigger picture doesn't care about the sort of things you are willing to give Eppler credit for -- it's win or go home.   This is purely a different strokes for different folks situation.

I understand wanting to disprove falsehoods but this is just a simple case of people seeing things differently.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

You are wasting your time.   

I don't mean this as a slight towards you, or the people you are arguing with but the sort of person that bases everything on results and ignores the bigger picture doesn't care about the sort of things you are willing to give Eppler credit for -- it's win or go home.   This is purely a different strokes for different folks situation.

I understand wanting to disprove falsehoods but this is just a simple case of people seeing things differently.

Shut up, nerd. Let us argue.