• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

At this point....

At this point we’re already looking forward to the end of the season. A few things we really hope for in terms of positives during the offseason would be Trout winning his 3rd MVP award, Ohtani completely recovering from TJS, Canning back to healthy, Adell tearing it up in the AZL, and for the Angels to stay in Anaheim... 

First and foremost I’d love to see the Angels finish strong and win, but I also wouldn’t be against us losing for a higher draft pick. Blaze Jordan is an interesting name and currently falls between picks 10-15. Had Jordan waited a year for the draft he’d likely easily be a top 5 pick. 

Coming up will be one of the most anticipated offseasons for the Angels. This offseason could determine our direction for the next few years. The Angels have money to spend and it’s quite apparent they will focus it all towards the starting rotation. Gerrit Cole will be at the top of our list (along with 29 other teams). Angels could drastically strengthen the rotation heading into the 2020 season with a push for an ace and using the farm to acquire more depth. 

Honestly a really great year. We got a look at what Canning can do. Ohtani is still an amazing hitter. Trout is Trout. Bedrosian, Robles, Buttrey have shown flashes of greatness. Adell for the most part is living up to expectations, Marsh had a great year and looks like a legitimate top 100 prospect. 

We need two good god damn starters. 

I'm optimistic about 2020. 

47 minutes ago, Scott34 said:

Honestly a really great year. We got a look at what Canning can do. Ohtani is still an amazing hitter. Trout is Trout. Bedrosian, Robles, Buttrey have shown flashes of greatness. Adell for the most part is living up to expectations, Marsh had a great year and looks like a legitimate top 100 prospect. 

I’m optimistic as well. Overall our goal is for the Angels to win so that’s why I said what I said. Other than that, 100% agree with what you said. 

9 minutes ago, nate said:

Lol, you lost me at Buttrey.  Robles too for that matter.

We also saw that Suarez needs work.  Canning also needs work.  If he improves he's a solid 4-5.

LOL.

Canning a 4-5 if he improves? Yeah, you’re nuts. He was basically a low 3 to high 4 this year. That’s as a rookie with only 80 innings pitched. Without improvement.

Also on the pen. Robles and Buttrey were both in the top twenty five on the year. So, I dunno what you’re looking at. 

17 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

LOL.

Canning a 4-5 if he improves? Yeah, you’re nuts. He was basically a low 3 to high 4 this year. That’s as a rookie with only 80 innings pitched. Without improvement.

Also on the pen. Robles and Buttrey were both in the top twenty five on the year. So, I dunno what you’re looking at. 

top 25 of what?  Canning had a 4.58 ERA in 90 IP.  Suarez was 6.67 and a 1.7 WHIP.  Buttrey pitched well and then completely fell apart.  

Cannings biggest issue was pitch efficiency.  He’ll be fine and I’m confident of that.  I think that with Robles and Buttrey.  They’re both young and throw hard and have demonstrated some success.  I don’t want to use the word optimistic about relievers because honestly who knows.  But I think the Angels could do a lot worse then those two to dream on and Middleton will be back.  I’m convinced that Buttrey’s issues are very much related to usage.   Suarez looked really bad.  I honestly was not impressed.  We use to hear mid rotation comps for him.  Based on what we saw, I think that’s a stretch.  In his defense he is very young, so we’ll see.  It’s way too early to throw in the towel in him and the same goes for Barria.   Not a ton 21 year olds in the majors.  Based on the few times I saw him (so this opinion isn’t worth much of anything) I thought Sandoval looked pretty decent.  But he’s also clearly not ready.  They have some guys.  But like we all know. They’ll need at least two legit MLB starters brought in this offseason and they could use a 3rd. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

11 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Yeah in 16 IP. That brought his career AAA ERA down all the way to 4.44. 

The jury is still out on Canning. 

No, it isn’t. Obviously any player can fall short of expectations, but he’s already performing solidly, albeit inconsistently. Given how young he is, I’m not slightly worried. 

1 hour ago, nate said:

top 25 of what?  Canning had a 4.58 ERA in 90 IP.  Suarez was 6.67 and a 1.7 WHIP.  Buttrey pitched well and then completely fell apart.  

Per Fangraphs: Buttrey has been the 14th best reliever in baseball this season. Robles ranks at 22nd overall. If you think that’s bad, I don’t know what to tell you. Buttrey has struggled recently, but he’s also been adjusting. They’ve also had the pressure of holding up a historically bad rotation. They are not the problem. 

Its basically a week until September and the Angels can call up whatever warm bodies to get through the season.  I see alot of bullpen games.  Hopefully some cream will rise from the sh!t.  

Edited by 2112
Android makes up words.

4 hours ago, Scott34 said:

Ohtani is not an amazing hitter. Hell, he's not even the best DH in the game.

3 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

He's good but not amazing. If Ohtani is amazing, what would you call all the hitters better than him? Again, he's not even the best DH.

Who gives a shit if he's THE best DH or not?  He's a young, incredibly talented player that can hit the ball 400 ft to the opposite field while throwing a 99 MPH fastball.  He just turned 25 and has put up a .900 OPS since he's been in the lineup.  That's pretty damn amazing to me...you can choose whatever adjectives you want.  

10 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Canning pitched in MLB about as well as he pitched in AAA, which wasn’t good. 

If Canning is going to pan out as a MLB pitcher he needs to master AAA hitters first. 

9 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Yeah in 16 IP. That brought his career AAA ERA down all the way to 4.44. 

The jury is still out on Canning. 

Sounds like the jury has reached a verdict.

12 hours ago, nate said:

Canning had a 4.58 ERA in 90 IP.

Your contention is that he's a 4 or a 5 -- Im assuming you think there are at least 90 SPs posting better ERA's than him, right? ..   Have you checked to see where that ranks these days?   Believe it or not he's in the top 90 for all pitchers with at least 80 IP...

Check these out... https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=80&type=8&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2019-01-01&enddate=2019-12-31&sort=16,a&page=3_30

There are a lot of 100 million dollar pitchers sitting in the 4.50 ERA range this year -- Jon Lester, Tanaka, Darvish..   Sale and Price are at 4.40 and 4.36...  Arrieta falls short of the 100 mil but he's sitting at 4.64.\

The pitching landscape is kinda muddy.

Kershaw and Price each had a 98 ERA+ in their first MLB stints. Kluber had a 76 ERA+. Bauer was 25 when he finally had a sub 4 ERA. Arrieta was awful until he was 28.

The point is, you can't look at the raw ERA of a 23 year old in his first 90 innings and assume that's what he is. He's got loads of adjusting to do, and I think he'll be fine.

Edited by tdawg87