• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Griffin Canning back to the IL with elbow inflamation; MRI reveals no structural damage but he will be shut down for the rest of the season

rafibomb

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of me sort of expected something like this because I think they’re trying to control his innings.  This part of me thinks this isn’t a big deal. 

But the Angels fan part of me, which is the more powerful part is 100% certain that this guy isn’t going to pitch the Angels again until 2021. RIP. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

7 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Part of me sort of expected something like this because I think they’re trying to control his innings.  This part of me thinks this isn’t a big deal. 

But the Angels fan part of me, which is the more powerful part is 100% certain that this guy isn’t going to pitch the Angels again until 2021. RIP. 

It’s definitely not controlling his innings. They said before that his innings were fine because they started him slow, gave him extra days, etc.

I think there’s something in there, but it’s possible it’s really a super mild thing that he’d just pitch through if the games mattered but isn’t since they don’t. 

It’s also possible that there’s something more serious going on. Neither would surprise me at this point. 

Either way, I don’t expect him to pitch again this season. 

1 hour ago, Kody Mac said:

This isn’t good. He had that risk coming out of college because of his high usage. That’s why they held him out for the rest of that year. 

Now what? Instead of 2 pitchers, we need 3? It’s sad. 

Except that he only pitched 291 college innings in 3 years, and only 10 more his junior year than in his soph year.

Weave pitched 369 college innings, and yet no real arm issues comparative speaking.

Is it either his complex delivery putting extra pressure on the elbow?   Or his elbow just isn’t built for the grind of MLB pitching?

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Except that he only pitched 291 college innings in 3 years, and only 10 more his junior year than in his soph year.

Weave pitched 369 college innings, and yet no real arm issues comparative speaking.

Is it either his complex delivery putting extra pressure on the elbow?   Or his elbow just isn’t built for the grind of MLB pitching?

No one’s elbow is really built for pitching. 

Second, you should wait till they get a diagnosis of the current issue to make this judgment. The Angels are out of it, so the injury threshold for shutting someone down is very very low. 

It may be something but it also still may be nothing. 

Just wait. 

I seem to remember when he was drafted, one of the worries was how much he had pitched in college, specifically for this reason.  Since the Angels are out of playoff contention this year, I think no matter what they should rest Canning for the rest of the year, even if it is only inflammation.

21 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

No one’s elbow is really built for pitching. 

Second, you should wait till they get a diagnosis of the current issue to make this judgment. The Angels are out of it, so the injury threshold for shutting someone down is very very low. 

It may be something but it also still may be nothing. 

Just wait. 

That makes perfect sense, except with this crappy pitching luck over the past 5 years.   Everything has seemingly gone wrong!

16 hours ago, eligrba said:

Wonder if the emphasis on spin rates have anything to do with the apparent increase of elbow related issues over the past few years?

Sort of. I think its pitchers that try to throw the ball as hard as they can every time they throw a fastball. This is the focus of modern baseball. Instead of focusing on location with multiple pitches, they try to gun every pitch. They would probably throw 90-92 mph with a nice easy arm speed but they go for it all. Not many can survive the forces on the arm at this rate.

25 minutes ago, Mark PT said:

Sort of. I think its pitchers that try to throw the ball as hard as they can every time they throw a fastball. This is the focus of modern baseball. Instead of focusing on location with multiple pitches, they try to gun every pitch. They would probably throw 90-92 mph with a nice easy arm speed but they go for it all. Not many can survive the forces on the arm at this rate.

That is what I am wondering.  Thanks.