• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Betts for Adell?

4 minutes ago, Bronson said:

You would have to be clinically retarded not to do this trade.

Unless Betts doesn’t agree to an extension. Then you don’t do it.

Which is precisely why it's stupid. You can't do the trade over if he doesn't sign an extension. The trade is done regardless.

5 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Betts for an unproven prospect. Eppler would be an idiot to pass on that. 

Adell at his best will probably be a slightly better hitter then Prime Upton with better defense and speed.

With Betts you’re getting a top 3 player in his prime....Yeah Eppler would never pass on that but the Red Sox wouldn’t give him up for just one Prospect.

3 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Adell at his best will probably be a slightly better hitter then Prime Upton with better defense and speed.

With Betts you’re getting a top 3 player in his prime....Yeah Eppler would never pass on that but the Red Sox wouldn’t give him up for just one Prospect.

"Prime Upton" was basically a 130 OPS+ player. Betts has a career 133 OPS+. So Adell would be...Betts?

3 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Betts you’re getting a top 3 player in his prime....Yeah Eppler would never pass on that but the Red Sox wouldn’t give him up for just one Prospect.

The Red Sox would definitely decline that offer and for good reason. 

2 hours ago, TroutBaseball said:

The Red Sox might go into a rebuild mode in the off season and have doubts about Mookie Betts signing long term.  Would you trade Jo Adell to get a year (and the first chance at signing) Mookie? Adell is still a prospect. Mookie is a legit MVP caliber player.

giphy.gif

As long as the starting pitching is shaky, it would be a waste of resources making this trade. 

If Upton were miraculously off the books in some kind of trade/buyout and Calhoun not resigned it may be more theoretically possible. But at a great risk. Especially if Adell develops to his maximum potential. 

I still would try to stay mostly one pointed in focusing on pitching. Greatest need. The hitters as a group are good enough mostly. 

3 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

Betts for an unproven prospect. Eppler would be an idiot to pass on that. 

I remember having this same argument with @YouthofToday back in 2010...

... I said back then Id trade trout for Matt Kemp, because i was sick of waiting for guys who dont pan out.

This is the same argument.

Do I think adell will be trout? Of course not. Do I think we would be stupid to do this trade? Absolutely.

If the Angels think Adell is an all-star/generational type of guy...they can't trade him. Not somebody they would have for 6 controllable years who could partner in the OF and sit in the middle of the lineup with Trout and Ohtani. That would be asinine...it would also mean you have less money to fill in massive holes elsewhere. So you replace Adell, with a similar/older/more expensive player who becomes a huge payroll hit.

Now...if the Angels think Adell is Brandon Wood...or even Howie Kendrick...then maybe you think about it.

Mookie is from Nashville so he'll obviously want to play for the Braves.  

seriously though, it's not outlandish to think the Red Sox are set for a reboot.  If they lose Sale for awhile their SP is brutal.  The pen is solid and they've got some good, controlled position players.  

if they lose JDM to free agency, they could quickly morph into what the halos were this year.   

they have the worst farm system in baseball and their payroll is set to exceed the lux tax threshold again next year.  

They could be viewing this year as their WS hangover year, but it could get worse for them in a hurry.  They might spend their way through which could work but their running out of assets.  

3 minutes ago, red321 said:

If the Angels think Adell is an all-star/generational type of guy...they can't trade him. Not somebody they would have for 6 controllable years who could partner in the OF and sit in the middle of the lineup with Trout and Ohtani. That would be asinine...it would also mean you have less money to fill in massive holes elsewhere. So you replace Adell, with a similar/older/more expensive player who becomes a huge payroll hit.

Now...if the Angels think Adell is Brandon Wood...or even Howie Kendrick...then maybe you think about it.

Wait a second....you would only think about it if Adell plays like Wood?

47 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I remember having this same argument with @YouthofToday back in 2010...

... I said back then Id trade trout for Matt Kemp, because i was sick of waiting for guys who dont pan out.

This is the same argument.

Do I think adell will be trout? Of course not. Do I think we would be stupid to do this trade? Absolutely.

So you’re betting on Adell to put up MVP type numbers at some point in his career. Not that it matters because Boston wouldn’t bet on that. 

11 minutes ago, RBM said:

Mookie is fantastic but this is a bad fit. 

No way Eppler trades one year of Betts at $20 M+ for 6 controllable years of Adell. Eppler needs two frontline pitchers. That is the priority. 

But Betts is already an All Star top rated pro and already postseason spotlight ready. Shall we bury another 2-3 Trout years to allow Adell to develop. Betts would surely want to stay here right?

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Mookie is from Nashville so he'll obviously want to play for the Braves.  

seriously though, it's not outlandish to think the Red Sox are set for a reboot.  If they lose Sale for awhile their SP is brutal.  The pen is solid and they've got some good, controlled position players.  

if they lose JDM to free agency, they could quickly morph into what the halos were this year.   

they have the worst farm system in baseball and their payroll is set to exceed the lux tax threshold again next year.  

They could be viewing this year as their WS hangover year, but it could get worse for them in a hurry.  They might spend their way through which could work but their running out of assets.  

Porcello a FA, JD potentially one in 2019, and then Betts and Bradley both looming in 2021.  

Devers, Benintendi, Travis, Chavis and Bogaerts is a nice core of position players but yeah -- minus Betts and JD Martinez they would have a rough go of things in the AL East.

Toronto and Tampa are doing a really nice job of setting themselves up to compete.