• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pena, Canning, and Simmons to the IL

2 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

It's no longer bad luck when it happens every single year. There needs be a contingency plan in place. If that takes spending 75 mil in one offseason on starting pitching because everyone will suck or get injured then what's what the GM needs to do.

The alternative is to just give up which is what's happening as it is and may be the more likely solution. Just accept our eternal fate as a 78 win team and live with it. 

When it is an ACL and a sprained ankle and a death it is bad luck and worse.  

36 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So no structural damage for Canning?  So Doc what could cause that swelling?  

Seriously though, I am not sure.  The thing that concerns me is that a guy who hasn't pitched a ton of innings is already getting something like this.  Doesn't feel like a great predictor of future health but who knows.  Maybe I'm just down on things right now.  

Sucks for Pena as well because having him as a swing or in some other pen role seemed like a useful thing for next year.  Just another thing for Billy to deal with I guess.  

These multiple injury streaks in one season do happen to teams in all sports. But factoring in the Skaggs tragedy, this has to be one of the worst devastating runs of bad luck. Also remember Allen and Harvey were damaged goods coming in and prone to breakdowns. 

Ohtani's pitching arm rehab should also be included with injury related issues for this season. If he didn't hit he'd have missed this season.

Surprising that Pujols has remained healthy. 

More and more, people will think that Trout's career resembles Ernie Banks. The lasting characterization about Banks is a sad shake of the head, remembering that he was a great  multiple MVP player on a poor team that never made a World Series. Even at the end of his two decade career the Cubs got good, but choked away a pennant to the Mets. 

4 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

It's no longer bad luck when it happens every single year. There needs be a contingency plan in place. If that takes spending 75 mil in one offseason on starting pitching because everyone will suck or get injured then what's what the GM needs to do.

The alternative is to just give up which is what's happening as it is and may be the more likely solution. Just accept our eternal fate as a 78 win team and live with it. 

there are no realistic contingency plans for what they've had to deal with.  Should they have signed Happ, Eovaldi, Joe Kelly, and others?  You can't account for freak injuries or tragedies.  Actually, the ones that can are those that have incredible depth in their farm system.  Even then, it's not the same.  

you can't sign 4 legit starters in case 4 other starters get hurt.  

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

there are no realistic contingency plans for what they've had to deal with.  Should they have signed Happ, Eovaldi, Joe Kelly, and others?  You can't account for freak injuries or tragedies.  Actually, the ones that can are those that have incredible depth in their farm system.  Even then, it's not the same.  

you can't sign 4 legit starters in case 4 other starters get hurt.  

I'd say sign Cole/Ryu/Strasburg, empty the farm for Boyd and Syndergaard. At least then when they all blow out their whole bodies or put up 7.50 ERA's you can at least say you tried. Signing two extreme long shots in Harvey and Cahill and calling it a day when you know your entire staff has prior injury history is not really trying. 

You're right, you can't logically sign 4 starters but when you know you're gonna lose 6+ starters every year it might be time to start thinking about extreme solutions. 

This has been the worst season for player injuries to this team that I can remember.

Upton down with turf toe for three months

Simmons down with a sprained ankle, now twice

La Stella broken leg on a foul tip

Lucroy destroyed in a senseless plate collision that was avoidable

Goodwin out for a while when hit by a pitch

Cozart out for the season with a second shoulder surgery

Briceno out with a bad shoulder

Noe Ramirez out for 10 days to a stomach virus

Heaney never eally well

Skaggs RIP

Pena out for the season

Off the top of the head that is 11 players missing large amounts of the season and it still doesn't include the guys still recovering from last sesons decimation of the pitching staff.

Hard to be excited about the next game on the schedule when you know they are playing every series without a pitching staff. 

3 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

I'd say sign Cole/Ryu/Strasburg, empty the farm for Boyd and Syndergaard. At least then when they all blow out their whole bodies or put up 7.50 ERA's you can at least say you tried. Signing two extreme long shots in Harvey and Cahill and calling it a day when you know your entire staff has prior injury history is not really trying. 

You're right, you can't logically sign 4 starters but when you know you're gonna lose 6+ starters every year it might be time to start thinking about extreme solutions. 

I’ll say it until I am blue in the face, but I don’t see how a guy that started 21 games last year and had a 3.80 ERA is “an extreme long shot”.  So you sign all those guys, and you empty the farm then when they get hurt you get the “I tried ribbon” because you won’t have anything else.  

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Can’t wait for February when the Angels fail to land any meaningful impact players and we start getting fed reminders about how getting players back from injury is like adding talent.

We have plenty of bounce-back season candidates that will get us pumped up for spring. 

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’ll say it until I am blue in the face, but I don’t see how a guy that started 21 games last year and had a 3.80 ERA is “an extreme long shot”.  So you sign all those guys, and you empty the farm then when they get hurt you get the “I tried ribbon” because you won’t have anything else.  

So I guess when we signed Cozart coming off his best year by like 3 standard deviations that wasn't a long shot either. Cahill hadn't been an effective starter since like 2013 prior to last year. It's no surprise that he went back to being awful. 

2 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

So I guess when we signed Cozart coming off his best year by like 3 standard deviations that wasn't a long shot either. Cahill hadn't been an effective starter since like 2013 prior to last year. It's no surprise that he went back to being awful. 

Well one was a 3 year deal and one was a one year deal.  Would you call signing Eovaldi an extreme longshot then by Boston?  Kelly by the Dodgers?  Lance Lynn?  Lance Lynn got three years, was awful the last couple and has been really good.  Those other guys got lots of money for multiple years because of this past year, and mainly because of the playoffs, and they have been pretty bad and or injured.  In your honest opinion are those extreme long shots?  If so then it will be tough to sign anyone that suits your criteria.  

Eppler has done a great job building this team from where it was a few years ago. Not his fault on the passing of Skaggs, Tj for most of our pitchers last 4 years, and injuries. 

Yeah the Harvey and Cahil signing didn't work out, but no one was expecting them to he this bad, era over 7! at worst we were expecting Era close to the mid 4s.