• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A difficult decision coming on Ohtani

If this has already been covered, my bad, been out of the loop lately

I know we need his arm. I get it. But you can’t ignore how good he is offensively and the way he makes pitchers pitch to Mike Trout. Trout was being walked over once per game before Ohtani came back and that number has gone down significantly since his return (which has led to an increase in HRs for Trout).

and then there’s the question of risk. You have a hitter that’s 50-60% better than league average, do you really want to risk Another arm injury.

the more we see him mash, the bigger question this becomes. Not sure how I’d approach it

10 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I know we need his arm. I get it. But you can’t ignore how good he is offensively and the way he makes pitchers pitch to Mike Trout.

Trout was great before Ohtani, he'll be great in the games we lose Ohtani as DH.

You also can't ignore how good Ohtani is on the mound. 

He's a two-way player until there's legitimate reasoning for him not to be.

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He's a two-way player until there's legitimate reasoning for him not to be.

We can hope his arm is sound enough to pitch but IMO we can't count on that.

They should build the rotation assuming Ohtani won't be in it. Then if we have him it will be a bonus.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

They should build the rotation assuming Ohtani won't be in it. Then if we have him it will be a bonus.

I think he’ll be fine to pitch. The only question will be about his velocity and if he’s able to get ML hitters out. We will all find out next season. 

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Curious why you think his arm isn't (or won't be) sound enough to pitch next year?  

At any given time, 1/4 to 1/3 of pitchers in the league have had TJ.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gQujXQQGOVNaiuwSN680Hq-FDVsCwvN-3AazykOBON0/edit#gid=1109879914

All I know - next year - the Manager HAS TO FIGURE OUT when to start him in a NL park. He's not your typical #9 hitting pitcher. 

As for this year...does anyone else find his "running on the basepaths" comical? I mean his soccer goalie gloves? Image result for ohtani on bases 2019

I like Ohtani pitching, I like Ohtani hitting. I hate the special workload management part that comes with it. The entire rotation has to adjust his schedule. It was crazy trying to buy single tickets last season because we never knew when he would be in the lineup. It was always about how he was feeling after a start. Oh well he’s been great so far so we have to go with it.

Edited by Calzone 2

I think it's important to note that they aren't losing Ohtani, he's still going to be in the lineup right behind Trout in 60 or 70% of the games.  Among the remaining 30-40% of games, he'll be the starting pitcher in half of them. 

Shohei's ability to impact the game in a positive manner won't be limited, it will be amplified. 

Ohtani isn't a versatile bench option like Walsh where he's a backup in the field and on the mound, and he isn't a pitcher that happens to hit 450 foot BP homeruns like Brendan McKay or Madison Bumgarner. He's legitimately a superstar on both sides of the ball. He's a unicorn. 

Just sit back and enjoy the most special team in baseball with Trout and Ohtani.

Exploit his versatility and don't lock him into a preset role.

Some starts, some relief (situationally determined) and maybe 60 - 70% hitting. DH and pinch hitting. First base potentially as well?

Try and maximize the value of his two way talent without sacrificing one or the other more than necessary. That means carefully plotting what he does series by series, week by week. 

Against certain teams one or other of his skills may be more important, so anticipate this and prepare accordingly.

Of course his use depends on his health. Pitching will start off more carefully but monitor him closely and adjust as necessary.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I suspect we'll see him hit more than in year 1, but less than this year. If he can hit while recovering from TJS I don't know why he can't hit more between starts.

He will hit more. I think it's important to keep in mind that our only conception of how this plays out is based on what they did in his very first season stateside. He didn't hot the day before or after a start and sat against lefties while he was still pitching.

My guess is he will hit the day before he pitches but not the day after, and obviously wont sit vs lefties anytime. 

So rather than hitting 3/5 games, he'll hit 4/5.