• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Path to the Wild Card

26 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

If this team is going to make the playoffs it has to beat playoff teams. Saying it’s a brutal schedule is a lame duck excuse. If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. This team can do it. We have the talent. Don’t be afraid of anyone. It’s cliche but win one game at a time before u know it this team will be in the playoffs. 

The Rays and Red Sox also have to play playoff teams in the regular season.

The way Tampa is playing right now we could very well host the wild card game.

26 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Saying it’s a brutal schedule is a lame duck excuse.

Well, it's not an excuse, it's an objective reality - they have a tough schedule.  Not saying it's insurmountable.  I think they have the offensive talent to hang with their competition but they need SP help from somewhere.

2 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

The wild cards will be the Red Sox and Indians. I think if our team shows up next spring with everybody healthy and a couple of pitching additions we will be in the mix. 

One major addition to the rotation next year is assured with the return of Ohtani to the mound...

1. Ohtani
2. Canning
3. Skaggs
4. Heaney
5. Suarez
6. New Acquisition
7. Barria
8. Tropeano
9. Peters
10. JC Ramirez 

1 hour ago, PattyD22 said:

I hate to use this term but as Angel fans, it's almost like we have "battered wife syndrome."  We seem to think things are going to change when in reality, they probably won't.  At least not this year I'm afraid.  

This team has really over achieved in some aspects in the first half.  Tommy LaStella, David Fletcher, Ty Buttrey, and a few other bright spots have happened here and there and helped us a least get in the conversation, but the proof is already there as it relates to the starting pitching.  The Angels have done well against teams they should beat but in the 2nd half of this season, the games are going to get significantly tougher, including many against our own division.  The Angels will need to get significantly better starting pitching which we already know, but the Angels are going to need to a couple other things better.  

Right now the Angels are 6-12 in one run games.  The Angels need to be way better in close games, like most good teams are.  They also need to get more aggressive in base running.  For a team that strikes out as little as they do, Ausmus sure doesn't put the runners in motion very often.  Most good teams are pretty aggressive on the bases, and the Angels aren't.  Lastly the bullpen is going to have to dig deep.  We currently are near the top in innings pitched and appearances, and I don't see that changing any time soon.  While the last several weeks have been promising in regards to the bullpen, let's face facts.  The schedule is going to get significantly more difficult and the pen is going to have to keep this up.  Am I confident this will happen?  Not particularly.  

I hope like heck the Angels can sneak in and grab the 2nd spot, I really do.  It's going to be a heavy lift against a tough remaining 81 games.  I'm hoping but I'm not confident.

Well i dont think im one of them, i dont feel we can without some changes, the question to me is will we pursue those changes or simply wait it out till 20

1 hour ago, PattyD22 said:

I hate to use this term but as Angel fans, it's almost like we have "battered wife syndrome."  We seem to think things are going to change when in reality, they probably won't.  At least not this year I'm afraid.  

This team has really over achieved in some aspects in the first half.  Tommy LaStella, David Fletcher, Ty Buttrey, and a few other bright spots have happened here and there and helped us a least get in the conversation, but the proof is already there as it relates to the starting pitching.  The Angels have done well against teams they should beat but in the 2nd half of this season, the games are going to get significantly tougher, including many against our own division.  The Angels will need to get significantly better starting pitching which we already know, but the Angels are going to need to a couple other things better.  

Right now the Angels are 6-12 in one run games.  The Angels need to be way better in close games, like most good teams are.  They also need to get more aggressive in base running.  For a team that strikes out as little as they do, Ausmus sure doesn't put the runners in motion very often.  Most good teams are pretty aggressive on the bases, and the Angels aren't.  Lastly the bullpen is going to have to dig deep.  We currently are near the top in innings pitched and appearances, and I don't see that changing any time soon.  While the last several weeks have been promising in regards to the bullpen, let's face facts.  The schedule is going to get significantly more difficult and the pen is going to have to keep this up.  Am I confident this will happen?  Not particularly.  

I hope like heck the Angels can sneak in and grab the 2nd spot, I really do.  It's going to be a heavy lift against a tough remaining 81 games.  I'm hoping but I'm not confident.

I agree we need to put the runners in motion more often.

6 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

One major addition to the rotation next year is assured with the return of Ohtani to the mound...

1. Ohtani
2. Canning
3. Skaggs
4. Heaney
5. Suarez
6. New Acquisition
7. Barria
8. Tropeano
9. Peters
10. JC Ramirez 

Ohtani going back to rotation means they are also likely going back to the 6 man rotation so I can see:

1) Free Agent

2) Skaggs

3) Canning

4) Heaney

5) Barria

6) Suarez

Some "free agent" options:

Garrett Cole, Madison Bumgarner, Kyle Gibson, Jake Odorizzi, Michael Wacha, and a bunch of projects

16 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Well, it's not an excuse, it's an objective reality - they have a tough schedule.  Not saying it's insurmountable.  I think they have the offensive talent to hang with their competition but they need SP help from somewhere.

I am just saying that saying the reason the Angels don't make the playoffs is their schedule is an excuse. Everyone plays a pretty even schedule. We are playing some tough teams but those tough teams are also playing us. If we want to make the playoffs and face off against the tough teams in the playoffs we need to beat them in the regular season. Our offense is legit right now and pitching will only be getting better with the warmer weather and or if we add a piece or so to the rotation. But now is the time. I miss the playoffs let's do some damage. 

21 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

1. Ohtani
2. Canning
3. Skaggs
4. Heaney
5. Suarez
6. New Acquisition
7. Barria
8. Tropeano
9. Peters
10. JC Ramirez 

That new acquisition better be a player who is a front line pitcher.  We have a backend pitchet in Barria.  We spent over 20 million dollars so we can release Shoemaker  and put Barria in AAA.

Result three worst starting pitchers than BlMton and Hanson.

8 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Ohtani going back to rotation means they are also likely going back to the 6 man rotation so I can see:

1) Free Agent

2) Skaggs

3) Canning

4) Heaney

5) Barria

6) Suarez

Some "free agent" options:

Garrett Cole, Madison Bumgarner, Kyle Gibson, Jake Odorizzi, Michael Wacha, and a bunch of projects

you left Ohtani off your list.

15 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I am just saying that saying the reason the Angels don't make the playoffs is their schedule is an excuse. Everyone plays a pretty even schedule. We are playing some tough teams but those tough teams are also playing us. If we want to make the playoffs and face off against the tough teams in the playoffs we need to beat them in the regular season. Our offense is legit right now and pitching will only be getting better with the warmer weather and or if we add a piece or so to the rotation. But now is the time. I miss the playoffs let's do some damage. 

If they are close near the end of July, Eppler needs to go out and get them SP help.  That's really the only way I see them beating BOS and CLE.

Skaggs and Heaney likley will give you 6+ IP per game but Canning, Barria, and Suarez are going to be on pitch counts and inning limits due to their age and Pena is limited in his effectiveness to 3 dominant innings.  They need at least one more guy that can be in that Skaggs/Heaney IP/game category.  If they can get that, it will save some bullpen innings. 

Greinke is sounding better and better. He's better than any free agent on the market and while he's also making 10 million more than they are, there are only two years left on the deal. If you sign Cole to a 6 year deal and it goes south after year two, you're on the hook for four more years of nothing but financial drain. But if Greinke's deal goes south, you're only on the hook for one year of a drain.

To top it off, Greinke has proven that like Verlander and Hamels, he has no problem pitching in his mid-30's and is less of a risk to be injured.

Plus, because of the money owed, Greinke would hardly cost a thing in prospects, as opposed to Stroman who figures to courtesy several quality pieces. 

Just imagine that rotation...

1. Greinke 2. Ohtani 3. Canning 4. Skaggs 5/6 - Whoever is performing the best among Heaney, Suarez, Barria, Pena and Sandoval. 

If you figure that Barria is still just 22 and projects into a mid rotation starter at his peak, and Suarez is a top 100 prospect, you have to figure the back end of that rotation is going to be killer. 

But if you face them in a playoff series, you can juat plan on not scoring any runs between the first and sixth innings in games 1,2 and 3.

36 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Depends on the way things look come July 25 or so...

You really think much will change with the given roster?  Why is there this rule that we must wait?  Noone here least of all me is going to be ok with a rental so whoever we get would be in the future plan as well as the now... waiting till the deadline is a rental move and a suckers move in my opinion.    Not to mention by then it might not matter whereas now, it might with the few extra starts from whoever it is.  If we wait, it likely wont matter.   But... we probably will. 

9 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Greinke is sounding better and better. He's better than any free agent on the market and while he's also making 10 million more than they are, there are only two years left on the deal. If you sign Cole to a 6 year deal and it goes south after year two, you're on the hook for four more years of nothing but financial drain. But if Greinke's deal goes south, you're only on the hook for one year of a drain.

To top it off, Greinke has proven that like Verlander and Hamels, he has no problem pitching in his mid-30's and is less of a risk to be injured.

Plus, because of the money owed, Greinke would hardly cost a thing in prospects, as opposed to Stroman who figures to courtesy several quality pieces. 

Just imagine that rotation...

1. Greinke 2. Ohtani 3. Canning 4. Skaggs 5/6 - Whoever is performing the best among Heaney, Suarez, Barria, Pena and Sandoval. 

If you figure that Barria is still just 22 and projects into a mid rotation starter at his peak, and Suarez is a top 100 prospect, you have to figure the back end of that rotation is going to be killer. 

But if you face them in a playoff series, you can juat plan on not scoring any runs between the first and sixth innings in games 1,2 and 3.

I'm good with Greinke as the prospect collateral should be light if the DBacks are just looking to move his contract.  Still $35 mil a year...yikes.  Also this:

• $62.5M deferred to 2022-2026, makes present day contract value $193,849,298
  • Limited No Trade (15 team block)
  • Trade Assignment Bonus: $2M

2 hours ago, Kevinb said:

If this team is going to make the playoffs it has to beat playoff teams. Saying it’s a brutal schedule is a lame duck excuse. If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. This team can do it. We have the talent. Don’t be afraid of anyone. It’s cliche but win one game at a time before u know it this team will be in the playoffs. 

Kevinb, it’s not an excuse.  Of course all teams have tough games.  This isn’t college football where you can schedule 11 patsies and 1 tough game and get to the playoffs.

its just reality.  Of all the potential wild card teams, I believe (and I may be wrong) that the Angels play more teams above .500 than any other team.  That’s a tough road compared to the others.  

I do agree with you that in order the be the best you have to beat the best and the Angels will have to prove that.  I didn’t use the upcoming schedule as an excuse, I used it as a data point.  Hopefully they will exceed our expectations 

6 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Last year it took 97 games to win the second wild card.

There's a chance, but the pitching really has to get much better.

Technically the 2nd WC team DID have 97 wins, but the third place WC team finished with 90. So it would've only taken 91.

6 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

I'm good with Greinke as the prospect collateral should be light if the DBacks are just looking to move his contract.  Still $35 mil a year...yikes.  Also this:

• $62.5M deferred to 2022-2026, makes present day contract value $193,849,298
  • Limited No Trade (15 team block)
  • Trade Assignment Bonus: $2M

Woah woah woah....62.5 million in deferred payments? Never mind, I changed my mind. Not unless Arizona covers the deferred payments and the trade assignment bonus.