• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What kind of contract would you offer La Stella?

He has been the biggest pleasant surprise to the team that we have seen in several years.

He seems to be the  missing piece the team has been seeking to play 3rd since they had Troy Glaus.

I also have seen his defense at third and from my eye it seems to be very solid and honestly better than Cozart which baffles me why they were even bothering to use Cozart as a late inning replacement.

Now the team needs to decide if they want to sign him to a long term deal since he is on a bargain contact for this year for 1 million dollars but will be a free agent.

I was thinking the team could sign him to a 3 year 40 million dollar deal which is similar to what they gave to Cozart.

I think you open the door to trades and take an offer that involves a either a solid young pitcher or a top prospect. But if no one bites, I'd offer maybe 2/20M or possibly 3/$30M.  Remember, this is a different free agent context than a year ago. Secondly, while his numbers are great this year, it is still just 49 games. He is hitting .302/.369/.547 with a 148 wRC+, 1.7 fWAR, and 12 HR - meaning, he's on pace for 5+ WAR and 35+ HR. Do we really think he'll sustain that? I do think this is a legit breakthrough, but I'm expecting year-end numbers more like .270/.340/.480 with 25 HR, 3-4 WAR. That's still really good...so maybe 3/$30M.

3 minutes ago, Dick Enberg said:

I think he is Arb eligible one more year. I would not rush out to extend him at this time.

Oh yeah, this. So, in revised short version:

1. See if anyone makes an offer that can't be refused (a top prospect and/or good young starter and/or good young catcher); if no one bites...

2. Pay him for 2020

3. Repeat 1; if no one bites...

4. Offer him a contract based upon his performance over two years, with the understanding that it begins at age 32.

4 hours ago, rageous said:

He has been the biggest pleasant surprise to the team that we have seen in several years.

He seems to be the  missing piece the team has been seeking to play 3rd since they had Troy Glaus.

I also have seen his defense at third and from my eye it seems to be very solid and honestly better than Cozart which baffles me why they were even bothering to use Cozart as a late inning replacement.

Now the team needs to decide if they want to sign him to a long term deal since he is on a bargain contact for this year for 1 million dollars but will be a free agent.

I was thinking the team could sign him to a 3 year 40 million dollar deal which is similar to what they gave to Cozart.

Trade him.  This is a career year.  

Too early to speculate with another year of Arb, however, that means he has value at the deadline.  If you get the right deal you probably look to move him, then again we still dont have a long term answer at 3B which he could be so.   I think if you get the right piece you probably move him, but it has to be the right piece, not just more kids to stock the farm.