• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What kind of contract would you offer La Stella?

La Stella plays 2B and 3B, and given his age, probably isn't part of the long term equation. David Fletcher can start at 2B every day, Matt Thaiss can play 3B, and Luis Rengifo can be the utility player all over the infield. 

I'd be checking to see if someone gets desperate enough to offer a Canning/Suarez/Rodriguez/Soriano level upside pitcher. I mean look at it this way, a few months of Marrtin Maldonado landed them Pat Sandoval. Now just imagine what a year and a half of La Stella could land.

The sooner we can stock this rotation with Ohtani, Canning, Suarez, Sandoval, Rodriguez and Soriano, the better. If you can add one more to that list that's in A+ or higher at the cost of someone you acquired for depth fodder, you cash out and accept that deal. 

Approach the Padres about Logan Allen or Luis Patina and see what they think. They'll still have Morejon, Baez, Quantrill, Weathers and Gore which means the Angels would only be acquiring something the Padres won't use and the Padres get the offensive pop at 2B they need while giving Urias more time to develop. Shoot, if they needed us to take on Kinsler in order to offload the contract in return, I'd be fine with that. Let him play down the stretch and trade him somewhere else for another Ty Buttrey if we are lucky. 

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Approach the Padres about Logan Allen or Luis Patina and see what they think. They'll still have Morejon, Baez, Quantrill, Weathers and Gore which means the Angels would only be acquiring something the Padres won't use and the Padres get the offensive pop at 2B they need while giving Urias more time to develop. Shoot, if they needed us to take on Kinsler in order to offload the contract in return, I'd be fine with that. Let him play down the stretch and trade him somewhere else for another Ty Buttrey if we are lucky. 

Kinsler signed a two year deal with the pads. 

5 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

So someone comes along and does everything that could be asked of him and more and you want to shitcan him 2 months into the season for fear of regression that hasn't happened? Would the return be prospects that you hope can be a future Tommy La Stella?

No.  

No.  

you keep him unless someone makes an offer you can't refuse.  like tapping into the Rays, Braves or SDP farm systems.  

2 hours ago, floplag said:

Too early to speculate with another year of Arb, however, that means he has value at the deadline.  If you get the right deal you probably look to move him, then again we still dont have a long term answer at 3B which he could be so.   I think if you get the right piece you probably move him, but it has to be the right piece, not just more kids to stock the farm.

I am very comfortable with Fletcher being a starter.   Simmons will be SS.  Jury is still out on Rengifro.  If we are looking to extend La Stella we better be looking to trade Thais, Ward, Rojas.

If he were willing to sign for something like 2/7 plus an option then I'd consider it.  Clear out that last year of arb.  puts some decent change in his pocket and pretty low risk for the team.  If he does well then it makes him that much more valuable on a team friendly deal.  

1 hour ago, RBM said:

I see what you’re doing here but I don’t think La Stella will ever be a Justin Turner or a Josh Donaldson.

He is a career back-up who was given a chance and has done well. 

Sell high. 

He hit for .861 ops just two years ago.

Which is more than what either of those guys did before breaking out

Im in the sell high camp. Given his age, even if he keeps up the current, he will tail off in the next 2-3 years. My vision is to do everything to help the next core group, not the current.

That said, I dont know enough to say if hes due to regress or if hes breaking out. If he looks like a true "finally got his chance" guy, Id like to have him man 3B for awhile. But again, if he doesnt project to be part of the next era, id prefer to flip him for someone who does.

What we are forgetting is that he has never, eeever been a regular for a whole season.

Let’s see how he does by late July, before determining if he can be kept as the regular 3B in 2020.

If Thaiss is destroying the baseball and playing 3B well by late July, it might be time to cash in on LaStella and get someone who could be a solid future piece in the rotation.

Like everything else it comes down to what you are offered.  If Eppler gets a great offer he will trade him.  If he doesn’t, he keeps him and gives him his arb contract for next year.  

A team like the Rays, with a good farm, playing in a great division, having a really good year, might be the perfect spot for him.  

There aren’t many untouchables on this roster. 

Like I’ve posted elsewhere, a lot can change between now and end of July. This time last year, Kinsler looked completely washed up - he then went on to hit .286/.349/.518/.866 for the Halos until the deadline, brought back Buttrey and another arm in a trade, got a WS ring, and signed a multi-year deal. 

So, La Stella could fall to Earth, Cahill could pitch great, etc. 

As it stands right now, I would listen on La Stella but find it hard to believe anyone is going to bowl us over for a 30-yr old having a breakout season. It might happen. But not likely. I think he’s worth more to us than in a trade. If he is still doing this next year at the deadline, he’d still be worth a decent prospect, maybe even similar return, even with less control, simply because the track record will be more sustained.

That said, the lack of August trades might make some teams more willing to pay up in July. We’ll see!