• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What kind of contract would you offer La Stella?

11 hours ago, RBM said:

I think La Stella’s future with the Angels is tied to Rengifo and Thaiss. If one of them shows everyday infielder value to the team then La Stella becomes a 31 year old tradable asset. 

I would look into his trade value in the offseason and if he doesn’t warrant what we want bring him back on a 1 year deal. 

In my fantasy world I package him with Cozart to eat up the $12.7 M we owe him in 2020. 

No way you do that.  If he continues to play the way he has all year then the only way you trade him it's if you get a top prospect back. Packaging Cozart guarantees you don't get a top prospect back so what would even be the point? Cozart will likely get another shot this year too prove himself if he can ever stay healthy. If and when he proves he just can't hit they need to just let him go. 

I think using Justin Turner as an example is a good one.  He's a guy who figured it out late and has been able to sustain a solid level of production.  The question is - is Tommy La Stella that guy or is he closer to Zack Cozart - who had a break out season and then fell off a cliff.  I think there are many more examples of guys like Zack Cozart (GMJ says "hi").  In La Stella's case - the Angels have the luxury of seeing if he can sustain this for two years.  I'm not opposed to selling high on him, but IMO I don't think they'll do that this year.  He fills a need right now. 

10 hours ago, rageous said:

Also done by other late bloomers like Justin Turner and Josh Donaldson.

Guys that break out at the age of 30 or after are the anomalies and not the norm.  There was a fantasy related article I came across yesterday talking about players who have broken out this year and whether or not to buy it.  La Stella was one of the ten players mentioned:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/fantasy-baseball-are-we-buying-breakouts-from-lucas-giolito-derek-dietrich-josh-bell-and-seven-more/

I'm not saying the team should move him for the sake of moving him but the odds are he comes back down to earth and is a backup in a super utility role.  Guys like that have value but not the type you want to pay too much for as most teams generally have guys in the minors who can step into that role.  If he continues to play like an every day player then there's still no rush to do anything because he's under control for one more year.

9 hours ago, rageous said:

He hit for .861 ops just two years ago.

Which is more than what either of those guys did before breaking out

9 hours ago, RBM said:

La Stella started 23 games in 2017 and you want to use his OPS in those games as evidence he is comparable to both Josh Donaldson and Justin Turner?

Ridiculous. 

That is out-@rageous.

10 hours ago, stormngt said:

I am very comfortable with Fletcher being a starter.   Simmons will be SS.  Jury is still out on Rengifro.  If we are looking to extend La Stella we better be looking to trade Thais, Ward, Rojas.

True, though i wouldnt trade all of course we need depth.  Thias can also play 1B so for me it comes down to Ward, can he actually hit enough at the ML level to take that job.  If he can, trade LaStella, if he cannot trade Ward. 

1 hour ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

No way you do that.  If he continues to play the way he has all year then the only way you trade him it's if you get a top prospect back. Packaging Cozart guarantees you don't get a top prospect back so what would even be the point? Cozart will likely get another shot this year too prove himself if he can ever stay healthy. If and when he proves he just can't hit they need to just let him go. 

Just DFA Cozart after the season, and eat the $12.7 million.   Players with shoulder issues usually never return to anything resembling their past performance.

12 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Just DFA Cozart after the season, and eat the $12.7 million.   Players with shoulder issues usually never return to anything resembling their past performance.

I do think this is becoming quite likely. If we hold onto La Stella, and should Rengifo, Ward, or Thaiss establish themselves in the bigs as the season goes on, there won't really be anything in Anaheim for Cozart beyond a UT IF job, at best. 

35 minutes ago, RBM said:

I don’t think it comes down to Ward.

If Thaiss and Rengifo prove themselves ready to start everyday then La Stella and Ward become tradable assets.

I dont see what people see in Thaiss.

He is hitting for league average playing in a hitter league.

1 hour ago, rageous said:

I dont see what people see in Thaiss.

He is hitting for league average playing in a hitter league.

He is one the instances where the slash line does not paint the full picture. Kendrys Morales didn't have an eye-popping line in SLC and he did just fine in the bigs. 

All the things you want to see in a hitter are mostly there with Thaiss. Will he put it all together? Not sure, but there's plenty to be encouraged about.

It's also worth remembering that this is only Thaiss' third year of full-season pro ball.

Edited by totdprods

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

I do think this is becoming quite likely. If we hold onto La Stella, and should Rengifo, Ward, or Thaiss establish themselves in the bigs as the season goes on, there won't really be anything in Anaheim for Cozart beyond a UT IF job, at best. 

Cozart, after this season, would only be owed about 2/3 of what they paid off GMJHGH when trading him after the 2009 season. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Cozart, after this season, would only be owed about 2/3 of what they paid off GMJHGH when trading him after the 2009 season. 

More importantly will be that we've had so many kid infielders make a case for the playing time. It'd be best for Cozart too, to try and find everyday play elsewhere in hopes of continuing his career.

Eppler has really done a marvelous job with getting our payroll to a point where it's very flexible and manageable year to year. It seemed like it was gridlocked constantly for a decade plus during the Stoneman/Reagins/Dipoto days. We were always limited and waiting for Player X's contract to expire.

21 hours ago, True Grich said:

12 years, $430 million.

It's not my money.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Eppler has really done a marvelous job with getting our payroll to a point where it's very flexible and manageable year to year.

Hmmm.  Maybe it is MY money. 

2 years, $1,000.