• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Talk me down or confirm my reality

What's the old saying..... you can't win the division in April but you can lose it. 

It occurred to me last night angels could be done before my kids get out of school for the summer.  That's a lot of season left to have zero hope.  

Can't even blame Upton injury because Goodwin has exceeded my expectations of what Upton would do.  

Rotation sucks.  3b sucks.  1b/dh sucks.  Calhoun is not a starting OF. Our closer is our worst option in the pen.  

I guess enjoy trout,  moments by Simmons,  wait for ohtani, and see what eppler can get in trades again.  

Sigh 

Anyone else or is it still early? 

The rest of the season is worth watching but expecting them to win ballgames is pretty silly when you look at the lack of depth on the roster in every area.

Reasons to watch: Trout, Ohtani, Simmons, potential call ups of Adell/Canning (maybe Suarez/Sandoval too?), Fletcher's emergence as the Angels' best utility player since Izturis

1 minute ago, GrittyVeterans said:

The rest of the season is worth watching but expecting them to win ballgames is pretty silly when you look at the lack of depth on the roster in every area.

Reasons to watch: Trout, Ohtani, Simmons, potential call ups of Adell/Canning (maybe Suarez/Sandoval too?), Fletcher's emergence as the Angels' best utility player since Izturis

I am not looking forward to writing you that check.  And I totally agree with your second sentence.

20 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

What's the old saying..... you can't win the division in April but you can lose it. 

It occurred to me last night angels could be done before my kids get out of school for the summer.  That's a lot of season left to have zero hope.  

Can't even blame Upton injury because Goodwin has exceeded my expectations of what Upton would do.  

Rotation sucks.  3b sucks.  1b/dh sucks.  Calhoun is not a starting OF. Our closer is our worst option in the pen.  

I guess enjoy trout,  moments by Simmons,  wait for ohtani, and see what eppler can get in trades again.  

Sigh 

Anyone else or is it still early? 

It gets late early around here.

-- Yogi Berra

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

Sorry, can't do. You're a better man than I.

What is the alternative though?  I do not mean this in a dickish way at all.  The alternative is being super frustrated by your hobby.  I don’t know if it was 2002 that has helped me no longer get bent out of shape about losing or if it is the normal maturing process, but I don’t get nearly as pissed off.  Don’t get me wrong I still have my moments.  I remember being incredibly close to throwing a soda can at my new TV when Frieri gave up a grand slam against the Nationals a day after giving up a walk off home run in Cleveland.   I will always have perspective of growing up and never thinking we would win in our lifetime, then we did.  I will never watch the game the same way. 

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Change your expectations and enjoy the game.

That's easier said than done.  How exactly should one change their expectations?  I don't see how anyone can enjoy the games that the team keeps losing.  If I have to go to a game and expect them to lose - I'm not going.  My expectations are that this team wins and that they put the best possible lineup on the field and that the manager make good decisions.  I'm not asking for too much.  I know the team has injuries.  So do the Yankees.  They're beating the crap out of the Angels.  I bet their fans haven't changed their expectations.

I don't get nearly as frustrated and upset by the team doing bad as I did when I was 8-20 years old.

There's too many other stresses of adulthood to let the game consume you like that. It absolutely Facking sucks that we aren't a good, fun team but you just need to take a step back if you get frustrated on a daily basis by it. And honestly not watching is a decent idea for someone that's letting it affect their daily stress level.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

That's easier said than done.  How exactly should one change their expectations?  I don't see how anyone can enjoy the games that the team keeps losing.  If I have to go to a game and expect them to lose - I'm not going.  My expectations are that this team wins and that they put the best possible lineup on the field and that the manager make good decisions.  I'm not asking for too much.  I know the team has injuries.  So do the Yankees.  They're beating the crap out of the Angels.  I bet their fans haven't changed their expectations.

Yes which is why I said it was an oversimplification.  I don’t know how I do it, like I said I am wired differently.  Work is challenging, real life can be challenging, baseball is just fun for me.  Sure it is more fun when they win,  but I’d rather watch bad Angels baseball than no baseball.  Don’t get me wrong, at the end of a long losing season I am ready for the season to be over.  As stupid as this sounds, I even enjoy missing baseball in the off season.  

What motivates me is the growing realization we're on a great track, or at least, as good of a track as one could hope for. There isn't a tried-and-true formula for MLB success right now, or we'd all be following it. I suppose the tanking method, losing 500 games in 5 years thing is the closest there is, and that's no more fun than this...

At the time, I failed to see just how bad our root system had become in the late '00s and early '10s. 

I knew we were torpedoing our farm, our international presence, jumbling payroll (even before things like Dipoto, Pujols, Baldoquin), but I didn't realize how badly it was going to affect things, and for how long, and how indicative it was of systemic, organizational failures. Really, it started in the mid-00's when guys like Wood, McPherson, Mathis, Conger, Rodriguez, didn't pan out, and we befell awful luck with Adenhart and Morales and the disastrous 2010 draft with Cowart, Bedrosian, Clark, Lindsey, and Bolden all being picked within the first forty choices. Fortunately, our MLB team was so good '04-'09 it concealed a lot of the cracks. Those cracks tore us apart starting in 2010, and Jerry Dipoto somehow made everything worse. 

It was always real easy to blame the Napoli trade, or Baldoquin, or Dipoto, or Pujols, or Hamilton, Scioscia having too much control or being here too long...but when you really take a look at the last two decades, there was a lot going wrong before and aside from the usual AQ targets.

The farm is in good shape - we have a good young core, a good wave of AAA prospects set to influence the 2019-2021 teams, and a second wave set to hit the 2021-2023 teams - or to deal to support sooner. 
We've reset the button on 20 years of similar coaching, renewed international presence, and adopted data and analytics in ways the org has never seen. 

Take a big step back and look at the team with a 5-yr or 10-yr view and it becomes a lot easier to enjoy the little things now - the future is no guarantee, but at least there are signs of encouragement.

It's just hard to invest so much time and money into something that doesn't bring you nearly the amount of joy that it should for the time and money you put into it.  I won't stop going to games or watching because I just love baseball.  If I didn't have season tickets, I probably wouldn't make the effort to go to the stadium nearly as much.  Most days, I don't let the losing get to me because there's more to life than baseball for sure.  Never-the-less - baseball and Angels baseball is a big part of my life.  I choose to invest the time, energy and money into being a fan.  I think that being a season ticket holder makes it harder.  I almost gave them up after last season, but I didn't.  I'm not some super fan. I don't do it out of blind loyalty.  I would just miss it if I didn't have it. 

I guess I just don't expect others to feel like I do.  I understand the need to vent and be angry.  I understand the frustration. 

It's funny, I find that after a loss I'm usually pissed right after the game. The next morning anger turns to frustration, and then, by gametime I'm back to being Angels Superfan #1. I experience a full circle of emotions. 

So basically I'm AO --------> Fan Since 79---------> Stradling, all within 24 hours.