• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani wants to play

Glen

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They got La Stella before Bour and at the time said they planned on adding first base to his repertoire. It was so he could fill in for Pujols. Then they got Bour and that sort of went out of the window. 

Once Ohtani is back, they still could do that, but I don’t think immediately. Cozart is doing worse than Bour, so they’d probably prefer to keep the option of La Stella at 2B and Fletcher at 3B.

Also I think there is a possibility that Pujols ends up on the DL if he’s playing a lot of 1B, so then you have to decide if you would rather have Bour or La Stella at 1B for 20 games in a row. 

The conversation also might be different if Thaiss was off to a better start. 

There are too many moving parts there to feel comfortable about any prediction. 

If Thaiss goes off in the time leading up to Ohtani's activation, then the conversation shifts. And to an extent, it might be the same with Jared Walsh.

I know La Stella made at least one appearance at 1B in ST, but looking at the situation as a whole, it doesn't feel like the Angels would pay only 3 million for Bour and have high expectations. We've seen what they pay players that they do have high expectations for and job security. 1/3 isn't it. 

That and it still feels like Eppler will favor getting value from defense above much else. Cozart's playing time will be cut but I don't picture them getting rid of him based on the money owed.

If I had to guess, I'd say Bour is gone or in AAA with Pujols and Cozart splitting time. When Pujols is in, La Stella s slides top 3B, when Cozart is in, he will go back over to 1B as the original plan was. 

And Thaiss and Walsh, they will work their way into playing time starting in July/August.

^

42 minutes ago, Second Base said:

And Thaiss and Walsh, they will work their way into playing time starting in July/August.

I can't shake the feeling that Thaiss, Walsh, Ward, and Hermosillo will be nothing more (or less) than major league bench/platoon players, and/or AAA depth. Hope I'm wrong, but the upside on these guys seems rather limited.

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

^

I can't shake the feeling that Thaiss, Walsh, Ward, and Hermosillo will be nothing more (or less) than major league bench/platoon players, and/or AAA depth. Hope I'm wrong, but the upside on these guys seems rather limited.

Thaiss is kind of a tweener.

between AA and AAA.

Edited by Calzone 2

56 minutes ago, Second Base said:

There are too many moving parts there to feel comfortable about any prediction. 

If Thaiss goes off in the time leading up to Ohtani's activation, then the conversation shifts. And to an extent, it might be the same with Jared Walsh.

I know La Stella made at least one appearance at 1B in ST, but looking at the situation as a whole, it doesn't feel like the Angels would pay only 3 million for Bour and have high expectations. We've seen what they pay players that they do have high expectations for and job security. 1/3 isn't it. 

That and it still feels like Eppler will favor getting value from defense above much else. Cozart's playing time will be cut but I don't picture them getting rid of him based on the money owed.

If I had to guess, I'd say Bour is gone or in AAA with Pujols and Cozart splitting time. When Pujols is in, La Stella s slides top 3B, when Cozart is in, he will go back over to 1B as the original plan was. 

I seriously doubt they would let Bour go or send him down.  If anything, I think they'd go with 7 relievers instead.  

5 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I can’t believe that the Angels would defer to any player over Ohtani as the everyday DH.  Even splitting time would be crazy.  It would be wild to see that. 

i would lose my shit.. it's something scioscia would do. 

11 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Here's a fun Pujols factoid. He was at 87.8 fWAR after 2014. He's at 88.1 now, and will probably end the year at a lower career fWAR than he was at five years ago. In other words, in aggregate, Pujols has been a replacement level player (aka a scrub) for half a decade.

That's bordering on Griffey-esque.

I didn't find that fun at all 

13 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

^

Thaiss makes more solid contact than I think any prospect I've seen. Is not the HR sort, but it does come in the form of singles and doubles. He'll be a solid hitter and fielder. Not an all-star, but solid. 

Walsh can put some back spin on the ball and use the whole field. If he does it enough, it could lead to a major league career, particularly if he keeps getting lefties out on the mound. 

Ward made the adjustments in the minors and early does have the power to hit 25+ long balls a year at any level. But making the adjustments in the minors and majors are two different things. Just ask Kaleb Cowart.

Hermosillo.... he would've made a great platoon partner with Calhoun. He's still someone you bet on with that athleticism. But in a competitive minor league system, when you don't play, you get leapfrogged. It sucks but it's the truth. He has a lot to prove this year.

On 4/20/2019 at 11:08 AM, Stradling said:

So if the Angels are out of it in September which most of you think they will be.  Would you rather Ohtani continue to hit everyday or would you want him to split time between hitting and pitching rehab?  They have said something to the affect that once he is ready to go hitting wise he won’t really be doing anything on the pitching side.  So if that is true would you rather he just get reps batting in September or get his arm ready to be a pitcher in 2020?  Now I say this not knowing whether or not 6 months after the season but before next season is enough time to get ready.  I know it takes a full year to get back on the mound and ready for major league games, but I don’t know what that means as far as pitching off of a mound work load.  Does him taking time off now to be a hitter if that puts him behind on the mound.  

I would rather him not pitch at all. I know, in your eyes that probably makes me an idiot. But go ahead and call me names, I don't care anymore.

I just don't want another TJS and another year of him gone. His arm issues have been a constant in his young career. Let him hit, let him rake, let him hit the cover off the ball. 50 HR, 130 RBI, Co-MVP with Trout.

Trout, Ohtani, Upton. Every single day.

6 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I would rather him not pitch at all. I know, in your eyes that probably makes me an idiot. But go ahead and call me names, I don't care anymore.

I just don't want another TJS and another year of him gone. His arm issues have been a constant in his young career. Let him hit, let him rake, let him hit the cover off the ball. 50 HR, 130 RBI, Co-MVP with Trout.

Trout, Ohtani, Upton. Every single day.

No I completely understand that point of view.   It’s weird that when you aren’t super extreme we can find common ground.   I want him to give pitching one more go.  We can find and develop hitters, it’s been a minute since we’ve developed an Ace.  

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Oh you know Ausmus and the front office will find a way to keep playing Pujols, Bour and Ohtani...

I thought for sure this was the case, but I am guessing he is gone when Ohtani is back or at the very least when Upton is back.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I thought for sure this was the case, but I am guessing he is gone when Ohtani is back or at the very least when Upton is back.  

I agree. But something deep inside my shallow heart thinks they’ll find a way and still limit Ohtani’s AB’s against a lefty. I understand Ohtani will need rest with throwing program, but I feel like he still won’t be given a shot to hit against lefties.

management is wayyyyyyy to obsessed with analytics. In an overly excessive way. 

20 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Regarding Ohtani and channeling my inner Bad News Bears 2...….

Let him play!  Let him play!  Let him play!   

So many parallels. 

Every pitcher we have has been carmine. Every team has been handing us our ass like the indians.

Stadium parking is as big of a rip off as the Colonel charging extra for biscuits and cole slaw, etc.

I think the Angels should stop treating Shohei Ohtani like a fuc*king baby.  This guy is blasting balls onto the rocks in BP for like several days now.  If he can do that he can handle 4 major league AB’s.  It’s all stupid.  Put him in the line up tonight.  Nothing is going magically change between now and May 15th or whatever.  Other then the Angels can lose a shit load more games. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think the Angels should stop treating Shohei Ohtani like a fuc*king baby.  This guy is blasting balls onto the rocks in BP for like several days now.  If he can do that he can handle 4 major league AB’s.  It’s all stupid.  Put him in the line up tonight.  Nothing is going magically change between now and May 15th or whatever.  Other then the Angels can lose a shit load more games. 

You know what your problem is? You have common sense and intelligence, qualities sorely lacking in our team's managers. I use the plural because it seems a faceless collective obsessed with the latest analytics BS is making all the decisions here. 

By the way, those are my thoughts exactly, but you articulate them much better.