• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani wants to play

Glen

Ohtani starting at full time DH would certainly help kickstart the offense. But what will become of Albert? I wouldn’t think that Ohtani will need any workload management for 4-5 at bats per game. If they platoon Bour and Pujols it will cut Albert’s playing time in half. 

Edited by Calzone 2

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Once Ohtani is back, Bour is probably gone. They aren't going to carry three 1B/DH on the active roster. 

Pujols is going to break down quickly.  He's already doing a "power walk " and considering it running.  

42 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Once Ohtani is back, Bour is probably gone. They aren't going to carry three 1B/DH on the active roster. 

They got La Stella before Bour and at the time said they planned on adding first base to his repertoire. It was so he could fill in for Pujols. Then they got Bour and that sort of went out of the window. 

Once Ohtani is back, they still could do that, but I don’t think immediately. Cozart is doing worse than Bour, so they’d probably prefer to keep the option of La Stella at 2B and Fletcher at 3B.

Also I think there is a possibility that Pujols ends up on the DL if he’s playing a lot of 1B, so then you have to decide if you would rather have Bour or La Stella at 1B for 20 games in a row. 

The conversation also might be different if Thaiss was off to a better start. 

If Ohtani's healthy and hitting anything close to what he did last year, he's starting every day. You can take Bour & Pujols' attitudes about playing time into account when there's a 10 point difference in OPS+ or there are distinct platoon advantages or disadvantages. But when you have someone coming off a season where he was 50% better than the average hitter AND he can run AND he improved significantly against lefties as the season went on AND he puts asses in seats, there's just no way he's sitting unless you want to give him rest for physical preservation. 

9 minutes ago, jessecrall said:

If Ohtani's healthy and hitting anything close to what he did last year, he's starting every day. You can take Bour & Pujols' attitudes about playing time into account when there's a 10 point difference in OPS+ or there are distinct platoon advantages or disadvantages. But when you have someone coming off a season where he was 50% better than the average hitter AND he can run AND he improved significantly against lefties as the season went on AND he puts asses in seats, there's just no way he's sitting unless you want to give him rest for physical preservation. 

Yep and how much rest does a 24 year old DH need. A DH is sitting down 85% of the time already.

So if the Angels are out of it in September which most of you think they will be.  Would you rather Ohtani continue to hit everyday or would you want him to split time between hitting and pitching rehab?  They have said something to the affect that once he is ready to go hitting wise he won’t really be doing anything on the pitching side.  So if that is true would you rather he just get reps batting in September or get his arm ready to be a pitcher in 2020?  Now I say this not knowing whether or not 6 months after the season but before next season is enough time to get ready.  I know it takes a full year to get back on the mound and ready for major league games, but I don’t know what that means as far as pitching off of a mound work load.  Does him taking time off now to be a hitter if that puts him behind on the mound.  

3 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

Ohtani starting at full time DH would certainly help kickstart the offense. But what will become of Albert? I wouldn’t think that Ohtani will need any workload management for 4-5 at bats per game. If they platoon Bour and Pujols it will cut Albert’s playing time in half. 

idc whatever GIF

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Dude I am torn on this.  I want to see him play, but I will leave it to the medical staff to make the decision.  He’s just too important to rush back.  Sure he would help this offense incredibly, but can you imagine a set back?  That would be horrible.  

Well said and exactly how I feel about the situation.